Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Your favorite rod or custom(show rods and history lessons are also acceptable)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chryslerfan55, Apr 13, 2021.

1. I apologize if this has been done before but I’m curious about what your favorite rod, custom or show rod might be. If our esteemed moderators will indulge me I’d like to hear from you as well as the rest of you hoodlums, whoops I mean fine upstanding guys and gals. I’m a little biased but this one is my favorite. IMG_0948.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. I am pretty partial to Taboo as my favorite, as its been my poster car since I was a little kid and has always been the perfect custom in my eyes.

Full history/restoration here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/miss-taboo-56-chevy-custom.1108431/

82359778_3845659122114480_2936590601950330880_o.jpg

But outside of something in our garage, I am have always been a fan of "Miss Elegance", one its a beautiful custom tri five with lots of neat work in it and to top it off it was a originally a PNW built car makes it cooler as I have a huge appreciation for PNW old rods and customs that have survived and are still around. This car has always just hit the right buttons for me, everything modified on this car just works.

[​IMG]

3. A few of my favorites!:) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2021-4-13_23-16-51.jpeg [​IMG][​IMG]

4. So, now we are going to see just about every car posted here for the past 20 years.:rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. It’s possible, but then I suspect @Ryan might enjoy looking back at some of the history of this forum. Besides, what’s not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. upload_2021-4-14_8-50-47.jpeg I fell in love with the Jackman brothers 32 sport coupe as a youngster and to me it has been my favorite through all these years. I always thought it was the perfect 60s style show rod.

7. Anything from the Alexander Brothers.:)

wicarnut, jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, didn’t work well for me but it’s a new day. Good Luck!

9. jim snow

jim snow

7FD1F8C6-BE0E-480A-86A0-B6CB3D044869.jpeg This one and the Hirohata Merc. Snowman

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The Jackman Brothers car was built when these guys were in high school!

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey CF55,

Our custom car history was usually a mild custom approach to the our cars and friends' daily drivers. The idea of making a custom car only to be used at car shows and not for daily driving to school/after school jobs was a little over the top. That after school job was the road to adding small mild or speed parts for our cars.

The big teardown and built only for car shows was not in the picture for most teenagers in our group. It did not matter if they came from expensive home areas or our simple 800 sq. ft. post war set of homes, the money was to be used for daily expenses. Moon discs, other hubcaps and small things to make the cars go faster were able to be reached. Some saved for weeks to get a dual quad set up for the drags on Saturdays at Lion's Dragstrip, but could not take the time or money to do a complete custom car path.

Jnaki
    My brother had some nice cars, with mild custom touches, as well as a few speed parts. That was it. We did not have enough for some chromed reversed rims, so we settled on painted rims or beauty rings and small center hubcaps. That was affordable for most of our friends.

Our other local friend had a 1934 Ford Coupe that had different carb set up on his modified Olds motor. But, it took weeks to save up enough for a different set up, like 6 Strombergs instead of a 4 barrel. So, the want was there, and when we did go to weekend car shows, the ideas rolled into our minds, but the pocket books were closed for the time being.

The closest thing to a cool custom car was the build of Long Beach local, Mox Miller and his immaculate 58 Impala. There were tons of ideas for us to incorporate into our own 58 Impala, but again, it was time and money that was not in the picture.

So, here are a few examples of some Long Beach history for Mox Miller and his cool 58 custom Impala.

Long Beach custom car information:
    Hello,

I was trying to rewrite the whole idea of a cool custom car that was from Long Beach, CA back in the 1960s. It was designed, built and shown by Mox Miller. It was hard to write down what has not been written before, so here is the reason this 1958 Chevy Impala is my selection as an “ICONIC CUSTOM.” It was back then and today it still is in the same configuration as before.

ICONIC: widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence

Jnaki

I am a little swayed since I did own, drive and race a 1958 Impala (that I bought from my brother) for 6 years. But, the ideas were so well liked and had never been seen, before it started appearing in local car shows.

If a teenage bank account was quite full, ideas from this classic custom Impala would have been a part of my own 1958 black Impala. After saving for a year or two, I was able to afford a 5 rim set of Buick Skylark Wire Wheels and the necessary hub changes. This allowed me to be a fast, mild custom car in our neighborhood.
    [​IMG]

Previous post: ELEGANT CUSTOMS

Mox Miller Long Beach 1958 Impala

Hello,

When my brother owned the new, black 1958 Impala, I was envious of that relationship. But, as time rolled by and things just happened, that black 58 Impala became my own car. Being a teenager with an unlimited budget would have been nice, but just like all of our other friends in high school, custom touches on cars were limited to whatever we could afford at the time. Which was...not much.

Of course, maintenance was the number one thing for reliable daily driving to school and back. So, that kept me busy. But, in looking back to our early start of hanging around an old gas station in our neighborhood that serviced the local hot rods and trucks was a sight to experience. That was the starting point of “real” custom cars and hot rods. Sure, we had a collection of hot rod/custom car magazines or read all of the ones on the magazine racks.

It was the actual “touchy,” eagle-eying those early hot rods and customs that gave us the impetus for future designs and modifications. In high school, we saw a ton of different hot rods and customs as we ventured out of our comfort zone of Bixby Knolls. But, in our own backyard, was the coolest mild custom car we had ever seen. A friend knew about one custom Impala and wanted me to go see it with him. So, being invited along, we drove to the Eastside of Long Beach to see Mox Miller’s 1958 CUSTOM Impala.

Jnaki

What a treat it was, to be able to be up close and comfortable with such a cool car. There were tons of ideas that I wanted to incorporate into my own Impala and still keep it elegant, fast and very cool.

Https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/top-ten-kustom-icons-of-your-youth.1095355/page-2#post-12427337 Mox Miller Impala

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjim01eouy8 Mox Miller Impala

period correct customs:
    So, in our So Cal area, the best example of a “period correct” custom, comes from Long Beach local, Mox Miller. He was the owner of the nicest custom 1958 Impala around So Cal. Of course, there were things that could have been on my 58 Impala for the custom touch, but that Mox Miller Impala was so out of reach of anyone locally.

We were impressed when I was able to visit the Impala in its own garage back in those days. The Mox Miller 58 Impala was so nice to see it in person. He was the envy of all teenagers and their customs or hotrods… especially this black, 1958 Impala owner.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/elegant-customs.1114436/page-5#post-12979916

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ns-of-your-youth.1095355/page-2#post-12427337

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

This car set the "Hook" for me when I saw it in Hot Rod Magazine, I got around to a Roadster late 90's owned several years, Wi. weather encouraged me to a 32 coupe next [​IMG][​IMG]

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

upload_2021-4-14_12-40-33.png My Favorite Kustom I owned back in the day 1967, and my current fave

Attached Files: