Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to pull the rad on a 1934 chevy STD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Apr 13, 2021.

1. sdluck

sdluck

Any tips on pulling the rad on a 1934 Chev std,My buddy inherited on and it over heats,he checked the timing,couldn't find the mark,but figured it out checked vacuum advance ok it runs good.Do the flywheel bolt on more than one way?Any hints or tips? Thanks all.

2. Jokester

Jokester

Automatic flywheels can go on two ways; the right way and the wrong way.

Radiator: pull the hood, rad support bracket, drain the rad, unbolt half of the front end body work, 2 hoses, etc.

.bjb

3. Budget36

Budget36

Is this a 216 or 235 with notch on the flywheel and a hole in the bell housing ? I’m assuming so, since you mentioned timing and the flywheel?

Im pretty sure I marked the flywheel on my 235 when I pulled it to have it surfaced, but that was close to 30 years ago and to be honest I don’t recall if it was necessary or not. I just recall someone telling me to do so.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Also, that notch is just the starting point, I recall my MoToRs manual saying after getting the notch on the light, test drive it, put in high gear and accelerate, keep advancing the timing till it pings, repeating the process , then back off.

5. sdluck

sdluck

Thank you ,I will relay the info.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

My dad worked on inline chevy 6 cylinders for over 50 years. He said put a vacuum gauge on it and set your timing to the highest reading and that way the engine is telling you what it wanted. If it rattles when you accelerate in high gear back off on the timing until it doesn't.