Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Something’s wrong with me nuts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratty_nova, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Ratty_nova

Ratty_nova

So this is on my 57 Chevy 150. Previous owner installed cragars WITH M12 LUG NUTS. Wheel FELL OFF when I put it in park after ripping up and down the road. Should’ve checked it I guess but here we are. Anyway, the cragars are the newer style with conical seats. I’ve got original 57 style open ended lug nuts holding them on now, but it doesn’t seem right. If you look at the pictures I’ve got plenty of thread engagement, and the wheel seat is making full contact on the nut. Also you can see it’s definitely a conical seat style wheel.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m just being extra cautious after the wheels literally fell off lol. That being said I kind of like the look of the open ended nuts. Gives off a function over form kind of look. IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2036.JPG IMG_2037.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. brady1929

brady1929

They're blue?

Blue One and Budget36 like this.
  3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

4. Those are 100% the wrong lug nuts.
    There are narrow and wide taper lugs .
    There are also shouldered lug nuts with a tapered seat.
    You need to go to a wheel and tire store with a wheel and lug nut and they will get you sorted out.

also , maybe it’s your pic but I don’t like the fact that the stud is only a thread or two proud of the lug nut, should have a few more threads sticking out .

5. the inside of the lug hole looks ruined.

Deuces, Blue One and warhorseracing like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Deuces and Blue One like this.
  7. TCTND

TCTND

Don't drive it 'til this is sorted out.

8. Ratty_nova

Ratty_nova

Previous owner 100% used m12-1.5 open ended acorn lug nuts on a 7/16-20 stud. I was under the impression that ET style nuts were essentially a bandaid for if you didn’t have enough thread engagement for aluminum rims and didn’t want to change studs. Summits page backs that up. I just sent an email to cragar with my part numbers and info so hopefully they’ll get back to me before long with a recommendation. I always thought if you have a 7/16 stud you want +7/16 of thread which I have 9/16.

9. squirrel

squirrel

It looks right to me....

Measure the hole in the wheel. If it's smaller than 11/16", then there is no way a shank type nut will fit. And the wheels that use shank nuts do not have any taper, at all.

btw the rule for NHRA about thread engagement is that the stud must have at least as much thread engagement, as the diameter of the stud. So you need 7/16" of thread engagement, which you have. Extra threads sticking out past the nut don't do a damn thing to hold the wheel on.

If you put acorn nuts on it, it will look much better, of course.

10. Budget36

Budget36

Appears to my eye the hex portion of the nut is contacting the wheel?

11. brading

brading

Think they should have the proper Crager mag nuts with the special washer as per picture

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  12. clem

clem

True, but if they work loose, as per OP original issue, it may give you a little more time to stop safely (you have longer to feel the wobble), before the wheels really do fall off.....
    Over here, every bolt on a modified vehicle has to have two threads showing.
    Manufacturers vehicles - doesn’t seem to matter. - different rules !

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Ratty_nova

Ratty_nova

Kind of looks like it in the pictures but in person you can tell it’s not.

Deuces likes this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20210413_083606.jpg need a full pic of wheel - people think of Cragar S/S, which your wheel is not.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Im betting you need some sort of shanked nut.

Also, if they had metric nuts on them, do you really trust the integrity of the threads on your studs? Id be replacing them if they were mine

16. Those metric lug nuts will thread on, but under pressure will strip the threads. And once they do, the stud is ruined. Those lug nuts are for something like an S10.

LWEL9226 likes this.
  17. noboD

noboD

Is this a real question or is it April Fool's day again?

18. When I was young the NHRA techs required that the threads stuck out past the end of the lug nut at least 1.75 threads, closed end nuts would land you in the viewing stands. Most structural engineers design or specify if you prefer that the threads stick out past the nut. Makes visual inspection easier.

I am leaning toward big studs and flat nuts on the next one that I build for myself with mag type wheels. 11/16 studs and flat nuts. The upside is that it looks like a race car the down side is that it limits you to that style of wheel.

19. I'm happy with my nuts! :D HRP

Blue One and juan motime like this.
  20. Ratty_nova

Ratty_nova

100% is a cragar S/S. Idk why it’s not common knowledge, but cragar makes the S/S in a “direct fit” model with 60* taper lug nuts. I think they call them the S/S 60C or something like that.

21. Yeah there's a set on a Ford in my shop. I'm saying that the metric nuts will screw up your studs. But it sounds like you got her figured out. Go with it

22. Ratty_nova

Ratty_nova

Took a while but yeah haha. Idk how the old fellas did this without the internet lol. Lots of talking to the REAL old fellas I guess.