Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thoughts on this 37-38 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aquaelvis, Apr 8, 2021.

1. aquaelvis

aquaelvis
    from N. Idaho

So last summer I bought a new house on 5 acres. Now the snow has melted I’ve been trying to located my property corners. Yesterday I came across this old truck cab. (Thinking it’s a 37-38 chevy)
    I found the hood in the trees. There is more stuff back there so might be more parts once I start digging in the junk piles. (Looks like someone was dumping old metal in the ditch)
    So it’s always nice to get a bonus but I was wondering your thoughts, too far gone? Worth a shot?
    In order to get it I’ll need to drop some tree and do some work. It’s stuck in the ground now and I didn’t want to put too much pressure on it so I’ll need to go out with shovels to try to get the body out without damaging it further. Looks like seat bottom is there, I’ve got to assume the floor has major rust.
    Anyway, I thought I’d share and see what you guys thought.
    (Found another, much earlier cab out there too but it has trees coming through it and they swallowed one of the doors... It has to be 1920’s?)

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

The door might be useful to someone.

If you want to go to the trouble to build a truck around the cab, just because you have the cab, you wouldn't be the first guy to do something like that. But if you don't really really really want a truck like that, you might be better off selling it to someone who does.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. That's cool though! Wish i could find something like that on my property lol.

hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Could be a 36 too. The window frames (front/rear) are valuable as well.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

The damage to the top is a major repair job. At least it would be for me;)

6. The hood is not for that cab. They had butterfly style hoods those years, not a solid, one piece front opening hood.

I'm going out on a limb here, but that hood is sooo long, I'm guessing 39-40 Cad/LaSalle.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet that anything below the ground line is toast.

8. Looks like a long weekends work to get it up and driving.... It already has that highly regarded and much sought after patina, so you're way ahead there....
    Contact one of those dipshit 'automotive reality' show producers, and let the bullshit flow. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy...

9. Ah, not all of us get to start out with a ridiculously over priced brookville or fiberglass body, which in my opinion is a kit car, and shouldn't be allowed here. So i say what the hell, drag the "free" cab out and give it the once over! Then decide. Worst can happen is you can sell it for a few hundred bucks and make somebody else happy.

10. trollst

trollst

It's a 36 chev low cab, it'll have oak posts in the door frames, wood reinforcing in the doors. You could save it, but I think it's yard art.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks like lawn art to me. Considering what it would take to fix it up, there are much better cabs to begin putting time and money into, and put you way ahead of that one too!

12. Looks like cool bobber truck material.
    Bang out the dent, chop the top build a model A style chassis and shove the biggest engine you have laying around in it.
    Slice up the hood to fit.
    Get busy

hotrodjack33 and Guy Patterson like this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

The windshield frame is very valuable, and might be OK considering it was cranked out. If you can get the windshield regulator out without breaking the die cast housing, that's also valuable. Rear window die cast frame, door garnishes, door hinges, window regulators and latch, is there a dash in it?

I bet I could part this thing out and get around a grand based on what I'm seeing in pictures, unless some of the stuff on it is shot in a way that isn't obvious. Not sure if I'd try to build it though. And I'm not personally fond of using stuff as yard art if it's got a bunch of valuable pieces still on it. It is definitely, positively not junk though. You can haul off the old stoves and shit for scrap metal but that cab needs to be stripped absolutely clean.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Sell off the valuable parts and putter around with whats left. Sucks it doesnt have both doors. If you can find a passenger door get the both hanging and closing, get a windshield in it somehow after selling off the frame and crank.

Id be inclined to build it as something, wouldnt be inclined to build it as something nice good place to use all those spare parts that have been janging around for years.

15. FA708046-BE4C-4A7D-B9B1-FEEFF48C7D5A.jpeg
    Sumthin similar to this
    Part out?
    Blasphemy I say!
    Guys around here build rides out of shadows

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since it's basically "free", why not use it to learn or sharpen your metal working skills or get it in the hands of someone who might be able to use it, if you're not interested.

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd probably part it out...UNLESS you scrounge around and find the other door. Then it becomes a builder.:D

P.S. whadya want for that stove:p

18. aquaelvis

aquaelvis
    from N. Idaho

It seems you are correct! I finally got sone time to go out there and dig around a bit. I found another hood which was completely buried in pine needles. (Pics)
    It’s in surprisingly good shape for just being unearthed.

Attached Files:

Squablow and Dan Hay like this.
  19. aquaelvis

aquaelvis
    from N. Idaho

Thanks for the replies fellas.
    I’m thinking I’ll keep an eye out for a door. (And keep looking in the woods) If I don’t find one by next spring I’ll probably part it out and do something stupid with the cab. (I’m thinking mount it on a riding lawnmower frame (or anything I can get free) put a couple tractor seats in and drive it)

20. When I was 18 I bought a 38 Ford, and the seller threw in a 36 Ford tudor sedan for free. At the time I thought the 36 was too far gone, and it sat in a field for years before my father finally sold it for scrap. Now, by today's standards, that 36 would not be considered too far gone, and I kick myself for not holding on to it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that 10 plus years down the road it may be worth much more.
    Good find!

aquaelvis likes this.
  21. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

Fix it! You have nothing to loose! It was basically free and if you build it then that’s definitely something to be proud of! Its no fun claiming to be a hotrodder if u only buy stuff thats already been built. In my book if you just buy parts or already fixed cars then u mite as well just go buy a brand new mustang and put wheels and exhaust on it and call yourself a hot rod builder! I heard way too many times that my 55 was too far gone and i should just save up and buy a new body but im hard headed and stuck it out and worked my tail off on the car and now i get people complimenting me on it and asking to buy it. And plus i know exactly were every nut and bolt came from on my car now just because i built my car and didnt decide to just buy another one in better shape. It makes a man value it much more when you do it yourself! Go out and save that old car and keep that old steel rollin!!!! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hot Rod Nut likes this.
  22. Looks like a 38 Hood

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Amen, brother, well said.

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

A hammer and a prayer will go a long way . Hey it’s free , it’s yours and you can’t hurt it trying . Keep us posted on the progress

Matt55folife likes this.