Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Tech, for the ladies, how to build a hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redbeard, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

I just had my 19 year old daughter read this post. We have been collecting parts for her Model A - now she is really inspired. Thanks for the great thread, it will continue to be an inspiration to both of us as we plunge into her project. I plan to document the build and share it here in the comming months.

J.

2. bones35

bones35

what a motivating post, unreal, great work, dont ever let her go. cory

3. QQMOON

QQMOON

Redbeard you have a very rare girl there just like mine [​IMG]

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Hey, what planet is she from? :eek: I want one just like her. I'll bet you get some really cool stuff on your birthday and holidays.:D

Edit: Ya know, there is no way one can convey the amount of work that goes into these cars, through photos. I tell people to imagine how much work you think this is, and then multiply by one hundred. It is an enormous amount of work even when you've done it before, let alone a newbie that couldn't weld. My guess is the teacher had a little to do with this. Good job folks....hell, GREAT JOB!

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. ian

ian

awsome awsome awsome. hats off to her!

6. ford.slaughter

ford.slaughter

killer job on the post. even better job on finding a killer lady to let you be on her side. noting agenst you. she did a great job with a great teacher. one more time both cars look killer. good job.

7. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I saw that sedan at the Asphalt Invitational, and thought it was cool, nice proportions. After reading this it takes on a whole new meaning. Nice car, cool Lady, nice husband. Nice work all around. One of my favorite posts, I do this for a living and you made it look so easy, it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong!!...
    Jimmy White

8. 53chevy

53chevy

Excellent job on the build! Thanks for sharing this on the HAMB! I bet your wife feels good about building a Hot Rod from what she had to start with. Too cool. I'm seeing the light with my build finially. Maybe see you folks at the Primer Nats? Later

Ken

9. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Speechless!! I mean my wife is very supportive, but..... WOW:D

10. redbeard

redbeard

Annika is actually down in socal visiting her sister, hahaaha no shit.

but I did tell her about the response she was getting and she was very happy to hear it. this is her first car and she did it in her vision and was concerned others would not like it.

some of you asked about the tires, they are 600/16's in front and 825/16's
    on the rear.

some also have asked about the interior.

Here are some pics of the interior floor area, this is before it was done, but drivable
    [​IMG]

here you can see the seat riser, the two pieces of tubing are part of the body and get bolted to the frame, there are wood blocks in place now where the body attaches
    [​IMG]

not a great pic, but the seat sits back to the kick up, you can also see some of the 1x1 tubing framework, which is the subframe above the kick up(it is part of the body and bolts to the frame) there is either rubber, or wood or webbing under all the attaching points of body and frame.

[​IMG]

here you can see the rear kick up with the coil overs, everything looks tighter than it actually is. you can also see more of the 1x1 frame work
    the gas tank and battery hang from that frame work. there is now plywood on top of the frame work, and you don't see the battery or tank, and have
    plenty of room for tools and supplies(beer)haahha.

[​IMG]

I will go take some pics of the interior as it is now.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. R-U-N-N-O-F-T

R-U-N-N-O-F-T
    from Missouri

You get a lot of credit for being so supportive and being such a good teacher, but it is a beautiful car overall, and if the "vision" was hers I think she done real good.

12. redbeard

redbeard

here are some pics of the interior as it is now,

[​IMG]

she bought the dash as a 35 dodge, but I have not seen a dodge with one
    yet, the chevy truck speedo fit perfect though.

[​IMG]

Here are the home made pedals, they are reversed swing pedals so the master is up under the dash, the master is the 61 chevy pick up with both
    clutch and brakes. I added a little traction on the pedal with the writing.
    there was never a chance she would forget which pedal is which, I just thought it would be funny, and I have seen a lot of people start laughing when they spot that, so it must be.:)

[​IMG]

here you can see the seat on the risers and the channel.

[​IMG]

and here is the plywood on the kick up. not a very good pic

[​IMG]

and that is all for now.

I gotta go button up my car for bonneville

thanks again for all the kind words

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

She is an inspiration for us all, my wife has got to see and read this :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. B + M

B + M
    from sacramento

Very cool post! Sedan looks great! Your workshop inspired me to clean my side yard and start working on my car outside.

15. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Redbeard, Please tell your lady she is an inspiration to many!! Great determination and execution!! The car looks perfect! My girl is also always there to help and loves working with me. However, I have to compliment you as well! I know some guys who do not have the patience to teach others and would rather not bother with taking the time needed to try to teach someone else... much less their girl. I never understood that type of thinking!! If she is asking questions and willing to learn, why not try to teach what you know?? Congrats to BOTH of you!!!!

16. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Does she have a sister like her? HAHAHA

17. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

yeah, yeah, but can she cook? :D I agree that you have one heck of a fine woman who has done a superb job. You probably dont want her to read all these compliments---she might leave you for Boyd Coddington! :D

and as for those sheetmetal clamps--the Harbor Freight clamps dont cost much but they are .050 thick and the home made clamps in the Tech section are made of banding straps that are .025 thick. Seems to me that .025 would be a better gap to fill. plus the cool factor of making them yourself

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

this post IS amazing! thanks for all the shots showing below the floor, especially of the chassis w/out the body. those are very helpful. I want to run front shocks like that and a panhard in the rear.

19. Cruiser

Cruiser

:cool: This has to be one of the coolest posts I've seen on the Hamb. You have one hell of a great lady there. Excellent pictures and the ride looks so cool have a great time cruising in it.

Stay cool and drive hard

Cruiser 49:cool:

20. Blue

Blue

Outstanding!!! Now THAT'S inspirational!

21. david4991

david4991
    from Louisiana

That is awesome.

22. Dirk35

Dirk35

Thats Freaking Awesome!!! My wife is so scared, she wont even open the garage door if I am grinding or welding. She has passed it on to our daughter too, and I despise her for that.

23. Appleseed

Appleseed

Best. Post. Ever!

24. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

OK, OK, OK!!! So tell us about B'vill already. Awesome post BTW. Congrats

25. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

My wife just worked through this post and she's psyched.

Nasty ride. Perfect.

26. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Hi Redbeard,

I was told once that a Perfect Woman was a Nym*#@*@#*#@ & her Old Man owned a Pub / Bar, well they were wrong, you have the Perfect Woman, well done to you both, I love it.

Happy Cruzin
    From Downunder
    Steve

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

WOW!!!! That is a great post and an incredible job. That is one BAD ASS RIDE!!!!

28. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

i skipped straight to posting a reply when i read that "she wanted it low"on the first page, now i was impressed with her doing the work(welding, grinding, cutting) but now i am blown away that "she wants it low" also. you are the luckiest man in the world. does she give motivational speaches to other ladies to get more involved in the hobbies that the men like. if not i see a future money making scheme in her future. cool ass project let her know she is awsome and doing a great job by the looks of it.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

amazing proportions, very nice. dont know if i missed it or not but whats front springis being used? and about how much drop do you figure is in that axel. the pix look like its about as much drop as a stock 48 ish axel?

thanx
    tim