Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Going to get just a little weird on ya because my 34 has made me this way.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 6, 2021.

1. SS327

SS327

I went a whole summer June - September blowing up a big block a week. Talk about wanting to slit your wrists. Turned out tach was reading 700 rpm too low. That was my first summer running big blocks.

Okie Pete and Nicholas Coe like this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Fact rope main seals seep if they don't they don't last long

chryslerfan55, Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  3. clem

clem

yep, I have considered this with a particular ‘32 5 window, - many many times.
    Others have suggested to film it and put it on you tube........

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  4. Had an El Camino like that once. 5 big blocks, 3 transmissions, and the final straw, 2 rear ends, all in the span of a month. Even got it it's own charge card cuz I couldn't keep up with the cash outgo from my pocket. When the posi took a dump on the second 12 bolt, I felt it was time to rid myself of this cursed piece of shit. I cleaned a big spot in my parking lot, and put the local Fire Dept. on speed dial. Drained the gas tank and used it to wash the Camino in hi-test. Went in the shop, made a sammich, grabbed a Coke and a lawn chair, took it all back out to the lot. Finished the sandwich, lit up a cigar and used the match to light it off. As I sat there watching it burn, I don't think I ever felt more satisfied with anything I'd done up to that point as I did right then. While this extreme approach isn't for everyone, and I'm NOT suggesting YOU do this, I'm just saying (from personal experience) it really was a damn good feeling.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I can say that I've destroyed a few cars along the way, but I have never intentionally set one on fire...

I've seen a few cars burn up back in my younger days. I do remember a mid 70s Vette (pretty new at the time) burning to the ground one day. I was not involved, but watching the fiberglass curl up as it burned was pretty interesting. Cars do weird stuff as they burn. Gene

chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  6. From October '69 until sept. 1970 I went through 4 clutches and 4 select shift 3 speed transmissions in my 57 Pontiac 2 door. Changed it to a '59,389/Muncie 4 speed and things went a lot smoother except for the carburetion. I was running a Q-jet and once again it overflowed on 82nd street in Portland. I had my girlfriend and her mother with me and I pulled into a parking lot and broke out the tools. Took off the Q-jet and threw it as far as I could. It hit the concrete, made a spark and burst into flame! I bolted on a 780 Holley I'd bought and the engine loved it! Girlfriend's mother thought I was a crazy man. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Run a 6 cylinder tach on your v8 impress your friends and save your engine. Why did it take you that many engines to learn? I've heard It's going to go or blow but one a week.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  8. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I had Triumph motorcycles for many years and developed a definite love/hate feeling for them. The love side always won. Then I started on old cars and found myself wondering "why am I doing this (again)" but already knew the answer and forged on.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. SS327

SS327

The bad tach in the car dash and my new Autometer read the same. When I finally put it on a Sun machine I found the error. Also to be fair to myself I was used to wringing out 327s and had recently switched to 454s. 2 different animals in the early 80s.

10. SS327

SS327

The point is to carry on and figure it out. You eventually will. Mine was an ot 75 elcamino.

chryslerfan55 likes this.