Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Crash!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Crash!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

dana barlow, reagen, 63fdsnr and 4 others like this.
  2. Nothing new, today we still have have to deal with drunks and now people distracted while TEXTING.:mad: HRP

3. Amazing how lies can become a perceived "truth" for years... Can you imagine the guy that had the roadster knowing this and seeing this pic used for the example of how hot rods are bad?!?! Seems the lesson here has nothing to do with hot rodding and more to do with drunk driving... Hot rods are a good scapegoat though... :rolleyes:

reagen, verno30, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  4. Its called spin, something we have seen a lot of recently

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan I didn't have my glasses on when I first started reading the article and thought the offender's last name was Cochran! Dammit man, glad the corrective lenses straightened that out for me.

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Amazingly the apartment building where Dale Berry lived still exists. 11817 is apt. #2. He was probably just a regular guy living modestly and spending most of his dough on his hot rod.
    Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.52.57 AM.png

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The nerve of that punk Berry kid...parking that hideous contraption on a street, where any good citizen could ram into it. Not only did he cause the ruination of Mr. Corcoran's pretty 1940 Chevy, But he interfered with Mr. Corcoran's opportunity to get "lucky" with a older woman.:(

8. My first thought when I saw the photo was: "How fast could that Banger have been going?" Then I read the LIE.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

3FF00B5A-3D7A-4623-8DAB-3A72679E11AB.jpeg Perfect example of yellow/red journalism calling out Hot Rodders as no good hoolums.
    Rolleiflex, nice research. Berry's place maps out to 3 miles from the crash site. By contrast, Corcoran lived in a stately apt. building in the Wilshire area just North of Downtown LA. It maps out 25 miles from the crash site, located a few miles from Santa Monica beach. Maybe he partied too hard at the beach and lost it on his lost drive home...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  10. Hum, makes me wonder if Dale Berry could be related to me, I remember my dad telling me he had a couple of cousins that lived in California. HRP

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  11. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the perp was "treated in hospital for minor cuts and gashes"...

Deuces likes this.
  12. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks more like a '40 Buick, a wealthier man's car...

Deuces likes this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

F314CF73-D650-4270-BF66-5650CD237B22.jpeg My guess is that Berry was either working at or having a nice steak dinner at Billingsley's Steak House. Located on that corner since 1946. Probably heard the crash, stepped outside to see some drunk totaled out his Hot Rod. Interestingly enough, it was owned by the family of Barbara Billingsley (June Cleaver).
    Currently, across the street is the newish LA humane Society and a strip mall. I brought up the addy on a blurry 1947 aerial photo and across the street then looked to be an old house and a large crop field. Neat old survivor restaurant.

http://deanjab.com/2016/02/billingsleys-los-angeles-california/

https://www.billingsleysrestaurant.com/

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, are there any similar family traits? Do you...
    ...like to crash into roadsters?
    ...like to have foot chases with the cops?
    ...like to drive early '40s GM vehicles?
    ...have a penchant for older women?

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of them named Marvin out by Hill Valley, CA?
    [​IMG]

16. Deuces

Deuces

Great movie^^^^^^..... :cool::)

17. You obviously read the article wrong.

The roadster belonged to Dale Berry
    Berry did not participate in the foot chase
    Berry drove a hot rod highboy Ford.
    As far as the women goes I don't have a clue but if he is/was related to this clan of Berry's I would imagine he loved them all. :D HRP

18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

My grandfather bought my grandma a brand new Willys Jeepster in the early 50s, which she proudly parked out front of their house on Sni-a-Bar Road in KC. One Saturday afternoon the family heard a loud crash and ran out front to find a drunk guy with his fishing hat on stumbling up to their porch. His vehicle had obviously hit and destroyed the back of her parked Jeepster, with enough force to push it up onto the sidewalk. My grandma was crying and asking this guy what the heck happened to her beloved car... His only reply was, "Lady, you stopped really fast."

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little vindication.
    Thanks for that.

Deuces likes this.
  20. SS327

SS327

I was being a good boy one Sunday. I was in church and a cop walked up behind me. Grabbed me by my arm spun me around and perp walked me out of church. Turned out I knew the cop he and I were friends and he knew how I would react when he told me. Some damned drunk and high kid managed to hit my car (out of about 40 cars) parked out on th street. Totaled out his car and mine. He walked away no scratches or nothing. No insurance either.

21. atch

atch

How in the world did the Buick hit the hot rod hard enough and in the right place to separate the front passenger rim from the spokes?

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One of the ladies involved was” Elvira K Cummer” ...how about that?

Bones

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

actually... this is the case of the news getting it right. It’s the general public that took it and twisted it to the untruth.

24. 3DE620B9-6309-40B6-9FF9-FC5C88A0997D.jpeg

Kinda like this staged pic of the holistir riots that made bikers out to be town burning beer drinking animals !

The media truly is good at feeding the fear machine. Or this day and age the kardashian ,Kanye, who ever flavour of the month trash celebrity dumbing down of society.

I wish I could go back in time where the only things to be scared of are a couple kids in a bucket or on a Harley ! Oh my the fear :eek:!

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Jack,

It’s a Buick.....the styling of which was adopted by Chevrolet.....;).....but not the ‘substance’ . :)

Ray

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray,

I'm not racist...but I am sort of make-ist. If it was FoMoCo I would have gotten it right...but all them damn GMs look alike to me;)

Jack

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  27. Ryan, was there a date attached to the article? HRP

28. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last lines of the article are what gets me. I do not condone driving under the influence at all, however, can you imagine how drunk you had to be to get booked for Felony Drunk Driving in the 1950's +/- ? Guy must have been a real piece of work.

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and Guy Patterson like this.
  29. kursplat

kursplat

hey @Ryan , Hemmings picked this up. Hotrodders might start being considered genteel if this continues :eek:

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Amen to this, If given the choice I would take my chances all day long with the Drunks than these God damn stupid ass Texters!! Just my 2 cents

Shalamo likes this.