Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Source For Remanufactured Carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Travers, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Looking for reliable remanufactured Autolite 1100 1V carb. Lots of Asian knock-off carbs out there straight from U.S. Patent Office that are junk. Who is best source? Thank you!

Joe

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. There are several reputable carburetor rebuilders / re-manufacturers throughout the USA. Some of them chime in on The HAMB occasionally, contact them to see what they have to offer.

Joe Travers likes this.
  3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's a feller on that famous auction site operating under the name "Gottafish" or something like that. Lots of inventory.

Deuces and Joe Travers like this.

5. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Thanks, Terry! I'll send him a PM about refurbishing original unit.

Joe

Deuces and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  6. There are a couple of guys over on the Fordbarn that do professional remanufacturing of old carbs. Charlie NY redid a carb for me and it ran perfectly right outta tha box. I just bolted it on and it idles like a Cadillac as we used to say.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Take a look online in your area. Likely a smaller shop that can help you out

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. tom in nh

tom in nh

Be aware of rebuilt vs remanufactured.
    Some shitbag shops claim to rebuild like new.
    In essence, all that is done is gaskets and a pretty exterior recoloring.
    Remanufactured means just that - everything is gone through. The most important thing done at this level, in my opinion, is rebushing of the throttle shaft(s). Anything less is a waste of time and effort.
    Best of luck.

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

This carb has had issues from new and some carb. Pony Carbs was a company several years ago that had found a fix but unfortunately is long out of business. I believe the owner passed away. Ask anybody you talk to about whether the rebuild or upgrade to address the run ability problems of the Autolite 1100 . You might search around on a mustang forum or the late model Ford forum on the Ford barn

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get in touch with scicala on the Ford Barn. He has an excellent reputation when it comes to carb rebuilding. Don't know if he does Autolite 1100's but worth a PM.

Deuces and sidevalve8ba like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

I've thought about opening up a carb shop but all I know is Holleys.....:rolleyes:

carbking likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I believe Jon only sells kits now, no more rebuild/refurbishment.

Deuces and egads like this.
  13. carbking

carbking

Assuming that you posted this comment in jest, however..............................

Right now (I have no idea for how long) there is a tremendous market for a carburetor RESTORER for antique carburetors. I turn down an average of 20~25 weekly. Simply do NOT have time to manufacturer kits and restore carburetors.

Several years ago, decided to do mechanical restorations without the cosmetics to save time and costs. Took about a dozen orders at reduced prices. Did the first one, and cleaned everything the way some of the rebuilders used to clean, and put the carb together. It looked awful! Disassembled, had the cosmetics done (and lost money! :( ) on everyone of them; but at least I wasn't ashamed to send them out.

And Deuces, if you can keep a Holley from leaking; you could probably teach a Carter or Rochester to recite the alphabet ;)

Jon.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  14. carbking

carbking

Tom - I would respectfully disagree; although clearance IS very important.

Lots of carburetors rarely, if ever require bushings. Examples: Holleys with the teflon strips, Carter AFB's, Rochester 4-GC's, and many others.

On the other hand: virtually every Stromberg WW, Rochester Q-Jet, and most Holley 4000's will require bushing.

The key is to have access to the factory data, determine clearance criteria, and MEASURE.

I would suggest that the largest issue with quality carburetor rebuilding today is Dr. Goodpliers (the evil twin of Mr. Goodwrench)! So many carbs have been "rebuilt" by commercial rebuilders where if a part fits, it is the right part; that good cores are difficult. Also, enthusiasts that make modifications (many of which don't work) without documenting their modifications. We figure if we had 10 exact same tag numbered cores and were extremely lucky, we could get 7 good ones. Five to six is a better average.

There is also a lot of difference in the quality of parts versus cost, but not going to get into that.

Jon.

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I've noticed recent rebuilt carbs do not have the steel linkage parts replated, and they look crappy. And they rust.

I was shopping for an off topic carb recently and was very impressed with a Mexican rebuilder, from the excellent pictures they clearly did a more thorough job than the US rebuilders, including zinc plating the parts that should be plated.

Unfortunately I don't have record of that rebuilder, but am posting just for general information of something to watch for.

Deuces likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A shop near me does cad plating. I’ve used them for a Rupp go-kart I restored. Its hard to do small parts and hope they are not lost. I bought a large shaker from HF and use terrarium snake sand as a medium. Surprisingly linkage comes out looking really good.