Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don Garlits Museum Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Apr 10, 2021.

1. To all of you who will go, be aware that he is almost deaf. he may not be ignoring you, he just didn't hear anything. I talked to him at Salina a couple of years ago and the conversation was about 3" from his ear. :) I was in the museum in the early 90's. I think it's almost double in size now. The engine room was my favorite. :)

2. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

About six years ago I was equally blessed to have the same experience and am so excited to see him look not a day older. It was one of those days in life I will NEVER forget. At the end of the tour, I sat in my car in the parking lot and thought about what an amazing mind he has and his kindness to share it with us all. I wrote him a letter when I got home about my experience that day and he was kind enough to answer it. I still reread it every once in a while and am again reminded of how amazing he is. God bless Don Garlits.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Driver50x, LOST ANGEL, rod1 and 7 others like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Thanks for the great tour. That place has always had a different look each time someone takes their own photos and adds a good story to the photos. Some of those drag racing vehicles are just a point to spark some old-time memories from the early days.

We saw Don Garlits in 1959 at Riverside Raceway in So Cal. A friend from Florida mentioned that that museum is always looking for some new/old photos and films. So, the question to you is, were there any early Don Garlits drag racing movies being shown from 1959 and 1960? The films I sent to them were of Don Garlits in 1959 and Art Malone/Garlits in 1960 at the Bakersfield Smokers March Meet. There was even the film clip of Don Garlits’ brother, Ed Garlits that came to Lion’s Dragstrip for a few events in 1960.

Were any of these films being shown in the museum at any time?
    Don Garlits at Riverside Raceway and Bakersfield Smokers #2

Ed Garlits at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1960

Jnaki

Thanks… we hope to visit the museum one day after the pandemic is deemed safe to travel all over the USA. Besides his own history versions of race cars, the other race cars on display give insight into how much early drag racing was innovative and wonderful.

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Thanks for sharing the photos of your visit.I stopped there and spent most of my time being overwhelmed by it all. I know it’s a cliche’ but if you’re ever even close this is a must see.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

6. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the great pictures and story of the tour. I visited the museum some years ago and it appears to have expanded quite a lot since then. I hope to visit it again someday.
    Jim

65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  7. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wife and I were there in 2014 and were invited by him to tag along with a group he just started a tour with. No smoke and mirrors with this place, just truly an amazing man!

8. 1962 dodge lancer

1962 dodge lancer
    from joliet, il

one kool guy.

65pacecar likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics & videos - good for those of us not likely to get there

65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  10. Call the museum and ask about a tour. He didn't have any planned but you can be put on a call list

11. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Great pictures with a great eye for detail. I have been there three times with the last about five years ago each time with my wife. She enjoyed it but wasn’t willing to really take in the detail. For a gear head you could spend hours there. Last time there DG had a dragster fired up outside his shop.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and 65pacecar like this.
  12. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for sharing!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and 65pacecar like this.
  13. As stated above he is definitely hard of hearing, people asking questions almost had to yell.

14. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I had a mutual friend with Garlits so I've got to meet him several times, always an honor and incredible experience. I got to watch him finish the building and tuning on a 392 Hemi, fun to watch him work. Larry (RIP) has several.items on display at the museum including the piston with the spark plug stuck in it. That came from.a run in the 70s and when he pulled it out, Larry asked for it so Don gave it to him. Decades later Don asked if he could have it back for his museum so the next time he was in town Larry gave it back. A few weeks later a full VIP package to The US Nationals for Larry and his wife showed up in the mail with all expenses paid for the weekend as a personal guest of Don G. The piston is still at the museum in one of the display cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  15. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Jnaki,

Yes, if you watch all the videos that are part of the presentation that footage was included, amazing that you supplied it, thanks for sharing it with the world of drag racing. I think They rotate some of the film at times, maybe for repeat customers but the footage was in the version I saw including his brothers content.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

loudbang and greasemonkey54 like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 65,

Thank you for the verification. It was a long time ago that I filmed it, but sent them the film clips during the 2016 season. I was hoping for someone to see them at that museum. So, one day, we will again be in Florida and go see that historic museum. Hopefully, see my film clips being shown.
    upload_2021-4-11_12-8-26.png Don Garlits at Riverside Raceway in December 1959
    Thanks,

Jnaki
    upload_2021-4-11_12-9-11.png Don Garlits outside of his FED in a black jacket and white pants... Art Malone in the driver's seat, Bakersfield Smokers March Meet 1960

18. Smrtmike

Smrtmike

I have been there twice over the last 25 years. It is an amazing place.

19. I made my third visit a couple of weeks ago. The first two, he was out of town. The last one, reportedly he stopped by for about 10 minutes and we were out in the museum and missed him. One of these days...........

20. Cool fact, he said just over 200 sets of Ardun heads were produced and he has 5 sets there

21. Nitro Drag Racing is tough on the ears.

22. trollst

trollst

Can you imagine making 89, after bazillions of times ripping down the track in a bomb trying to kill you, almost did, and still made 89? Incredible man, a real pioneer, genuine hot rodder.

23. Always has been, always will be one of my greatest heroes.