Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My time here will be limited for the foreseeable future.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 10, 2021.

1. I am so very sorry man. My mom lost both of her parents to dementia and now I think she’s heading that way ( which I hope not). Whenever you have a minute ( or two) swing by and say hello, we’ll be here for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

This has been a week of terrible news on the H.A.M.B. Sorry to hear this news. As others have said, hang here when you can. Prayers will be with you, your wife and your family. Regards, Randy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry,

I will be praying for you and Jan. Being a caretaker is hard work and it can wear you down before you even realize it. Like others have counseled you here, be sure to take care of yourself through this season too. You will be of no use to your wife or anyone else if you burn out.

Hang in there brother.

Steve

v8flat44, hotrodjack33, dan31 and 6 others like this.
  4. Like most have said - we'll be here as needed.....take care of your loved one first and foremost.

hotrodjack33, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  5. God Bless you and your wife. Do what you need to do. Many of us are facing similar situations as we grow older. So we understand completely. Use the H.A.M.B. as a distraction and resting place when you can. Praying for you.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. chargin03

chargin03

Prayers sent.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  7. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Sir, understand what you're going through. Went through that hideous disease with my Mother-in-Law. We all know that Family comes first, but please remember that it won't help your wife if you burn yourself out. You have an expanded family here that will help in any way they can. A simple phone call, text or PM can sure help relieve some of the stress. Thoughts and prayers to you , the family, and all your friends who are there for you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Joe Blow, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is difficult to come up with anything to say buddy that will help. Hang on to your own memories of the good times. I wish many more for you!

Boneyard51, Thor1, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  9. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Hang in there. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

10. Extremely well spoken...

Larry,
    You have been and still are such an inspiration and source of support for so many of us. Much more than you know. Please focus on the family and yourself. They are the most important thing in this world.

But please know that we are here for you. We are thinking of you. You are in our prayers.

I'm relatively new here. I can't honestly tell you that each time I see a 34 Ford I immediately think of you. I've read many of your old posts and seen so many times where you and your car has been mentioned.

Thank you sir. Guys like you make the H.A.M.B. more like an online family than a car club.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Larry, I feel your pain. I am going through something similar with my 97 YO Mom. Just remember in order to keep your own sanity to take a few minutes a day for yourself, even if it's only walking through the garage and patting the Ford...

Thor1, hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

As has been said already, get help to take some personal time to take care of yourself as you won't be a good caretaker if you try to do it all alone! Dementia is a terrible disease that not only takes the life of the one with the disease, it also robs the family of their loved one! I lost my sister about 10 years ago to this insidious disease and it was really hard to witness how it took her mind and left her an empty shell of her former self.

13. Lil32

Lil32

I lost my mum to the big D
    Prayers to Family
    Stay safe
    Noel

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you need amongst the more serious, to have some reflection runs in the Hotrod along some quiet winding roads in select moments this year with of course your arm out the window...remember that Thread... @34Larry...it's been tough for a lot of us... A Wish for Good Health moving forward for what is ahead...we all know the doors always open here 24/7, I'm glad too...Vivla Hamb!!...Stay safe Hamber...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Thor1, Joe Blow, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Sorry to hear of your situation. Family first

Thor1, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  16. brading

brading

Sorry to hear that bad news. Wishing you my best sincere thoughts for the future.

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nothing I can say that’s not already been said.I hope you can find peace knowing so many here support and are here for you in your time of need.
    Dave

18. HotRod33

HotRod33

Remember you have to take care of yourself too... when you get a break pop on here... will all be here... prayers for your family. ...

loudbang, Thor1 and Lil32 like this.
  19. topher5150

topher5150

Sometimes you need a healthy distraction. My wife has been dealing with a lot of health issues and building this car has been able to keep me from losing it to. Work on keeping your sanity

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Keep fighting the battle with prayers from all.

INVICTUS
    William Ernest Henley - 1849-1903
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang in there Larry!

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Just recently lost my Mom to dementia. We got hooked up with long term hospice. It is covered by Medicare and is effect as long as it is needed. They adjust their visits to compensate for the patient's current state.

Doesn't take the place of prayers but will give you some off duty time to regroup.

23. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

God Bless you and your wife. I was a 24/7 caregiver for my wonderful wife for eight years until she had to go to a nursing home. She passed away from dementia after two years in the home. It is a long row to hoe. Take care of yourself Larry and know that lots of us are thinking positive prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

24. Budget36

Budget36

Priorities Larry, you have all of our support. I’ve never been through something like you are going through, but wishing you the best.

As said before, when you have time take the ‘34 out and enjoy the ride.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

My 99 year old mother died about 2 months ago . She hadn't known anyone since Thanksgiving.
    The last time I saw her I talked to her for about 15 minutes and she looked at me and said well who are you ? That was tough to take.
    God bless you and your wife.

26. badshifter

badshifter

Hang in there Larry. Going through it with my dad. Be patient and kind.

27. Larry, lots of good advice and thoughts here, God Bless you and all your family. I did this same thing with my first wife for 10 years, so take some time for yourself too, it'll help.

Lil32 and Thor1 like this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Larry my prayers are with you and Jan. Lost my Dad to Alzheimer's last year so I know how difficult this can be on the family. Plan ahead in the event you need to bring in some help a couple of times a week.

If you don't have wireless internet (WiFi) in your home, look into adding a wireless router and get yourself an ipad or similar hand held tablet. This will enable you to browse the internet for short periods while casually sitting with her, etc. vs. waiting for her to sleep or Daughter to visit so you can go sit down at your computer.

Hang in there!

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  29. clem

clem

some great advice above and from others that mentioned the same sentiments.
    It is human nature to put everyone else first and not have a good (albeit a small) balance of time out for yourself.
    Old cars (and the Hamb) can help find that balance.
    and nothing like a 20 minute drive in a hot rod to relieve some stress.......

Thor1 likes this.
  30. reagen

reagen

Sorry to hear this ,Prayers for you and your wife and family 34 Larry

Thor1 likes this.