Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 28-29 Model A tudor window regulators, can they be tightened up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rice n Beans Garage, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I have a chopped Tudor, after a short drive, the rear windows drop about 1/4" can the regulators be tightened up or adjusted IMG_4180.JPG ?

Thanks in Advance,
    Scott

2. Looks GREAT Scott......let me go look at mine and I'll see.

What does your recess on the firewall look like?. Going to start back on mine soon.

3. On mine it looks like the spring does the work and there's no adjustments.
    [​IMG]

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Check the handles, when the window is closed all the way make sure the handles are on the up side, as in when you push on the handle its moving down on its travel and not moving up.

If the handles are on the down side (as in moving window down) the weight of the handles is enough to slowly work themselves straight down while driving hitting bumps and vibrations and slowly opening the windows.

The other way and as the handles try to move down from driving it will actually tighten the window in the up position.

Gravity and the small amount of weight due to the leverage caused by the shape of the handle then add some vibration is all it takes!

Hope this made since!!

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Great looking sedan Scott. I don’t think they are adjustable, it may have a weak spring.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. There can be two problem with the regulator, one is the spring can be weak but it can also be the 6 tooth regulator itself, it's a simple repair but it requires removal to do the job.

I have rebuilt several over the years. HRP

[​IMG]

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I'm not a Model A guy but in looking at the phot 1oldtimer posted if the main function of the spring is to keep tension against the regulator action could you put some kind of shim over the bent up part of regulator that the spring rests against to add more tension? I am reluctant to suggest you bend the spring out there on that end.
    Also when you rebuilt the body did you install new window channels AND a new wiper at the top of door window opening? Not sure if rear sidwe windows have the wiper. As you are talking about rear side windows if you have done all of the above could you install some kind of hidden shim on the outside of both the front and back of the window channel to make it grip the glass with just a bit more force.
    Good luck, Jimmie

olscrounger likes this.
  8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Thanks Dan, My firewall is a Bitchin Products, I will get you a photo

9. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Hers a photo of my old Tudor firewall utilizing the stock gas tank..
    MY SEDAN (20).jpg

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  10. I forgot to add that the felt around the window helps too. I lowered one side a little and tried to push it down....couldn’t do it.

Thanks for the picture Scott.

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Mine are seem to have a little slop, good felt and channel, I may try and and check the spring tension.