Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 62 impala long tube headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigIRON63, Apr 7, 2021.

1. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I have this set of headers laying around. They are made for 58 thru 64 impala. I was curious if maybe there were other cars they fit. By the looks they may could be used as "fenderwell" style headers. Has anybody done this? Screenshot_20210407-083728_Chrome.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

MY EYES ARE BURNING!!! I wanna unsee it, but I don't know how?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2021
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Those headers look like the ones people were putting on their sedans before the crazy fenderwell header look took over. They ran down and out under the frame, exiting just behind the wheel opening and tire. If they would fit and clear any wide tires. Then the rear exhaust system would have to be welded in place to be street legal. Otherwise, the open port exhaust system could be placed on any old coupe or sedan.

The real so called fenderwell headers were the ones that went over the frame. That necessitated a cut out inner fender steel to create an opening up and over, then finally down behind the wheels. One of the fastest ways to get the exhaust out and away from the motor. But, it just looked like a hack job on the inner fender wells and the below frame styles were actually better, since they flowed right into the muffler system and gave the exhaust a direct route out of the back.

The fenderwell headers did well as built, but it was inefficient for the smooth flow of exhaust on daily driving, which most did back then. Only those that raced weekly or had cars that were only raced had open fenderwell headers allowed for competition.

Jnaki

For top efficiency on the daily driver, the direct smooth flow in design was necessary. Not a 90 degree bend from the header opening to the rear of the car. My brother and I had access to several top header builders in our area. Much as we would liked to have a nice equal length tubular header system into a collector, that in itself would have thrown us out of the A/Stock class. As any custom header systems were not factory stock.

Any modification to the exhaust system was going to send us into the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. But, for later use on the street, a smooth bend underneath and a connection to the tube mufflers would have been the best for street performance. No fenderwell headers necessary as they looked too hacked and not good for smooth exhaust flow.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    pigIRON63 and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Well said.

jnaki likes this.