Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Save The Gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed~On, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

2. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

It’s back together. Replaced the studs, made a new fixing bracket, and managed to re crimp the bezel. Hopefully it will work...

Attached Files:

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Check it with air. I use a rubber tip nozzle.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

kadillackid and loudbang like this.
  4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What's the connecting thread on the gauge?
    Does it fit a standard compression fitting, or something else?

I've had problems with the connections in the past, especially on Smiths (English) gauges.
    Modern American gauges are generally 1/8" NPT.

5. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Any nice gauge like this or others you know someone needs/wants it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

Here's something unusual that I stumbled across, an old S/W "Wings " 12V temp gauge. It has the high temp area with a red bar, which I've never seen on this style of gauge. I checked it with a 9V battery & it is functional. I don't ever remember seeing one like this & there is no reference to it in any of my old catalogs. If anyone has any info on it, especially what sender it might take, please let me know. Here's a pic of it before & after I replaced the bezel that was worn down to the copper. Every time you think you've seen it all.....
    IMG_0817.jpg IMG_0821.jpg

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Here's a picture of the back.
    IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

8. BJR

BJR

Probably for a piece of industrial equipment, made especially for the manufacture.

loudbang and lostmind like this.
  9. John Doles

John Doles

I have this Paxton gauge I’ve never seen before wondering the value.
    I think a lot. It’s 2 5/8. Paxton not McCulloch. Right I know same company. Anyone know the year made or model of car it would of been a option in. Didn’t find one on google or febay!

Attached Files:

10. Speed~On

Speed~On

In my original post I completed a light restoration on two gauges produced by US Gauge Co. NY.
    Recently I found another oil pressure gauge from US Gauge Co. When it arrived it simply needed a little cleaning, which I completed today. True to the nature of these old gauges it still works flawlessly. Many decades ago when these gauges were being produced many automobile/truck manufactures would contract with gauge companies. It was somewhat common practice to have your desired name printed on the gauge face. In this case "BLAKE SYSTEM" was printed on this example.
    I thought I would share some photos from today. Happy gauge hunting everyone!

Gauge condition upon arrival...
    USGAUGE1.jpg

A quick wipe down of both sides of the glass. Also, a very careful cleaning of the gauge face.
    USG3.jpg

Looks pretty sharp and a crescent needle always looks cool!
    USG1.jpg

USG2.jpg

And to no surprise, the gauge works great! (Photo is a little blurry...my 9 year old had trouble holding my smart phone still:D)
    USG5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A bump to the top for some great info and saves

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Great thread! Not just cause I'd love to have a "retard" stocked dash

13. B5D61720-58EC-4D35-B9D6-20BF3B09965A.jpeg 4726C88B-B707-4FEC-B30F-D12A3E57D23D.jpeg B20406DC-F7CC-44E3-B639-756E45C4240B.jpeg

Well, here’s one that you don’t see every day. Just arrived here, all the way from Israel. Vintage VDO speedo, marked in Hebrew, probably reads in kilometers not miles...so pretty much useless to me. But I’m gonna run it anyway! Does anyone know if it’s possible to easily recalibrate it to mph instead of kph?

loudbang, fauj, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since a kilometer is 5/8 of a mile, a speedometer ratio adaptor should be easy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and fauj like this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I think those are Arabic, not Hebrew digits.
    And it reads to 100, so there's a good chance it is MPH.

It'd probably confuse the cop who pulled you over for speeding when you showed him you were only doing a little over that funny digit.

Carter, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. @Beanscoot I think you might be on to something there. I guess I’ll find out when I hook it up someday. Can anybody translate what it says on the bottom of the face?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. cfmvw

cfmvw

That is a really cool find! Any idea what it came from?

loudbang likes this.
  18. Not a clue. Showed it to a friend who said it must be out of a crashed UFO. Funny, but not helpful.

19. Just guessing. Does it say:
    Miles per hour
    Made in the USA
    ???

loudbang likes this.
  20. Probably not.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

That speedometer is too cool. How did you find it?

It’s in Arabic script—though I think it could theoretically also be in Persian since the word for “hour” is written the same in both languages—and says “kilometers/hour” at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  22. Found it on eBay, for a reasonable price. Seller was in Israel. Took quite a while to get here, but not as long as I expected.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Quick internet search says it probably came out of a Mercedes LKW truck. Pretty slow one if it only went 62 miles per hour.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

TWO PERFOMETERS ?!

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  25. I see THREE :eek:

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  26. fleetside66

fleetside66

Similar to the Perfometer is the Mile-O-Meter. They're akin to building an elaborate snake oil story around a simple vacuum gauge....too funny. But, they are damn cool!

IMG_7394.jpg

hfh, kadillackid and loudbang like this.
  27. @Speed~On , @fleetside66 , @e1956v
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge & before/after photos. :)
    This is probably the best tech thread on the HAMB right now.:cool:

Two questions:
    1) On an old mechanical SW speedometer, how would you roll the odometer back to all 000.0 ? This is a technical question, not a legal one. It's to use a restored speedo in a new build.
    2) How hard is it to replace the speedo needle? They're just press-fit, tight? Any special tools or techniques required?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  28. I once used a variable speed drill to roll a rebuilt Model A odometer 'ahead' to 42k to match the speedo I replaced. Not sure about rolling back. On the one I did I was almost half way back to zero. After it was installed I put about another 100k on the old rod, so it was again reading in the 40's when I sent it down the road.

kadillackid, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  29. fleetside66

fleetside66

Not sure about the actual odometer reset (Rusty a.k.a. e1956v would know), but getting to it entails the proper removal (and subsequent reinstallation) of the bezel & glass & possibly the needle, which, like many of the old car repair specialties, is an acquired skill. Like a lot of this stuff, there's no book on it & it takes a bit of trial & error before you start getting it right. And, even after you get fairly confident in yourself, it will come back & bite ya when you least expect it. I removed & replaced quite a few needles, but I'm not too sure I'm even doing it right. I've had pretty decent success, but did lose a few patients on the operating table. If I was a surgeon, I'd be broke from all of the lawsuits. Anyway, I have tried a few of those jeweler's needle pulling gizmos, which did not work. I simply use a small pry with a "V" cut into the end to get around the needle shaft. I use a thin piece of soft wood (like part of a shim) to protect the face of the gauge in the prying process. Some come off easily & some just won't budge. The reinstallation of the needle is a bit easier, because you've broken the bond when you removed it. A lot of times, when the needle lets loose, it will definitely fly to the most obscure point in the room you're working in, so a piece of tape to prevent that might be in order. If I were you, I'd just send the gauge to Rusty to do it for you (Speedometer Service in Colorado), before he looses his patience or retires or gets a flying needle in the jugular. .

kadillackid, loudbang and Just Gary like this.