Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Culbert Automotive engineering In/Out box identification

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Donald N Wemple Jr., Apr 8, 2021.

1. Hi, Looking for information on identifying model or year of a Culbert in/out box from a race car. Do not see any numbers on it. Also what bolt pattern bell housing would this unit fit on?Is it generic or purpose application. Purchased it in the mid 1980's for a sprint car project. Thanks.

2. Thanks. Forgot details DUH!! Bell face on box has 12 inch center line bolt circle. 8 holes in face with 2 smaller holes assume for guide pins.1 inch diameter pilot and input shaft sticks out 2 inches from face of housing to tip of pilot. 1 3/16 diameter spline 10 tooth. Will check out sites you sent. Thanks.

3. Fordors

Fordors

This link will take you to a thread that should help- https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/in-and-out-box-info.626091/
    I had a '60's CAE catalog but I lost it and all my other old catalogs and info to a broken pipe in the basement. :(

stillrunners likes this.

4. Thanks. Mine does not have a throw out bearing arm or fork and the input spline is about 1-1/4 inches in length not full length as the the post you showed me. Wondering if the box fits directly into a factory bell housing for a Ford or chevy or it just bolted up to a motor plate. I will pull my Model B motor out and see how the box fits up to it for spacing data. Know the box is no where near going to mount as the back of the B motor bell is much bigger. Possibly a Ansen or other aftermarket bell adapter was used to adapt it. Will not be using a clutch or flywheel. Have a crank hub to bolt to the crank. Thanks. I will post a photo of it.

5. Her are a few photos of the box.

Attached Files:

Tman and winduptoy like this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

It does not appear to be a SAE bellhousing pattern, but, check your measurements against this chart.

[​IMG]

7. Just measured. Tough with input shaft in. As best I can tell it is between a SAE 5 and 6. Will set box on a surface with a bored center hole and trace outside diameter and bolt holes to get better measurements tomorrow. I have a 1934 Ford V-8 transmission in our 2 man sprint car mated to a 1949 Ford 226 inliner. I will check it's dimensions tomorrow to see how close it measures to this box. This box was pulled from a well used up old sprinter that was being parted out. Believe it attached to a motor plate. O.K. Thanks again for your help. Will post results tomorrow.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Fordors

Fordors

D77AB66D-337B-4CA5-80D7-008ED672AAD7.jpeg A9B8F450-FC25-41C3-87E9-761C2BB853D8.jpeg

I sure wish I had that old catalog, but this is the best I could find online. The drawing is titled In & Out Box but I’ve seen that one also called the CAE Drag Box.
    The Armor-Adapters in the second photo would adapt the in and out to various V8’s.

9. Have one as well I picked up with some V/8-60 stuff.

10. deucemac

deucemac

If memory serves me correctly, Culbert made 2 types of in/out boxes. One was for modern applications where the box mounted to the motor plate that located the engine in the chassis. The other, which you have is a duplicate of 32-48 Ford bellhousing flange. Some came with throw out fork and shaft and others did not. I believe ( somebody will straighten me out if wrong) that same flange pattern was used on Offies. I have a good friend that is now long retired that used to crew the CAE house car forever. He is hard to get ahold of but would know for sure what's what.

stillrunners likes this.
  11. Thank you. Yes I measured the 34 V-8 transmission bell housing in the 2 man race car and pattern is the same as the Culbert. So now I will pull the Model A bell housing and tranny from the B motor without the pan and mount the modified flywheel on with the correct B pan and housing. Then see what I need as far as a motor plate! if this will not work I will just go ahead and buy a Model A pan and modify it to allow the Model A bell housing and use the Model A transmission. Will have to find a new home for the Culbert in/out box. Again thank you all for you input. Much appreciated!

12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So it's been over a year since Don's in/out box found a new garage (mine...), and now I'm still looking for a lead on obtaining a clutch drive input shaft for it. It currently has a direct drive input shaft, the one I'd like to have has a 1 1/8 inch input shaft like GM manual transmissions.

So any leads, contacts, and any other way to acquire one, let me know. Thanks