Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My time here will be limited for the foreseeable future.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 10, 2021.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

The love of my life, other than my Ford, dose not understand my time here, and thus is very upset. Dementia is a terrible disease.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I can never say thanks enough to those who have helped me through the times past. You have always been there for my stupid questions and I appreciate it.
    As my Ford sits in the shop this morning it is running better than it ever has and the leaks I spoke to are no longer a problem.
    I'm sure there will be times I can come and lurk/maybe post when Jan is preoccupied with her daughter and friends who stop by. Thanks to those of you who have helped me, once again.
    :)

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@34Larry

We understand......we’ll keep the light on for you....stop by as often as you are able.....and Best Wishes..

Ray

i.rant, Deuces, wandi harry and 15 others like this.
  3. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Such a terrible thing. My heart and prayers to your Jan. Good on you for sticking it out (in sickness) and in health!

4. Larry, you gotta do what you gotta do. Dementia is a very difficult issue for the sufferer and those who love and care for them. While we will miss your postings, your having to make adjustments to your activities is certainly understandable.
    Take care of yourself, and try to keep enough diversity in your life to maintain your sense of self and sanity.
    Lay low, but drop in when you can so we know you're OK.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lost an Uncle and my FIL to this terrible disease. My MIL sacrificed her own health while caring for her husband. Taking care of the love of your life is job number one but please make sure you take care of your self as well. And your Ford will still be there for you when you're able to return to it.

Joe Blow, Thor1, Hnstray and 6 others like this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Slip out for a little HAMB & eggs when you can, but most important is loving your wife and your family and circle of friends.
    We will be here for you both when needed.
    May God Bless your wife & family.
    Glenn

Elcohaulic, Joe Blow, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Completely agree that dementia is a terrible thing. I've been through it with relatives, friends, classmates and neighbors. It's tough to deal with.
    You have to change your whole way of trying to maintain your relationship, and reasoning with the victim.We'lllook forward to hearing from you when you have a few minutes to post.

Elcohaulic, Joe Blow, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  8. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Stop by when you can worked on Dementia Unit for 28 years its not easy

Elcohaulic, rod1, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Good luck and hurry back.

10. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Been a caregiver for 35 years, will be thinking of you. A tough life makes a strong person. You the man.

Joe

11. Do what you need to do, Family is far more important than this place and we will be here when you can get a chance to stop by, My pal Rene' recently lost his wife to the insidious disease.

You and your wife are in my prayers. HRP

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take care, my best friend is in a nursing home with Dementia and I haven't seen him in over a year.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Well I for one will miss your "Interesting" threads. But do what you have to do.

Elcohaulic, wraymen, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My late father-in-law passed from this horrible onslaught...

Alarming the first time I'd seen him in a month, he looked right at me, and said, "I recognize the voice, but'll be damned if I can place ya!"
    That was a shock. Sadly, he deteriorated from there.
    Now, mother-in-law (his wife) is 94, and...slipping. Wife Joey and I do what we can, but it 'taxes' us to watch Joyce slipping away...
    Onward, Larry. You and wife Jan are in our prayers.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  15. Fordors

Fordors

The HAMB is so much more than cars. Some come to give tech advise, ask a question, leave a goofy comment in a thread, post images, or offer information. Then there are the times things turn more serious like when someone suffers a personal tragedy, has an accident or maybe faces illness.
    It’s those times the members here really shine through. Thoughts, prayers and camaraderie are first and foremost when the chips are down and that’s what makes the people here special.
    We’re here for you @34Larry , just as we are for anyone that needs a helping hand of one sort or another.
    None of us could have a better group to be a part of.

16. BJR

BJR

Best of luck to you, and hope your patience is up to the task. I know it won't be easy. As said, we will keep the light on for your return.

X-cpe, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  17. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

You're a good man Larry. Hat tip to ya.

loudbang, Thor1 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Good luck. Unfortunately I know what it’s like. Do what you can, while you can.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We are all with ya Larry.
    Your wife is in my prayers. You’re a good loving husband.

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I for one am gonna miss ya, I've always enjoyed your posts:). But, I fully understand your situation, and respect the decisions and choices you have to make. You're a good man. Stay well my friend.

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I will make a suggestion. See if there is a good adult day care in your area. Some time to do your needs, even just time to get a haircut, shop for groceries, pick up prescriptions whatever is important. Remember you can not be a good caregiver if you are burnt out. My sister in law has an adult day care business, she had a client that the state health
    deptartment told the husband to consider putting his wife in at least one day a week to give himself a break as he
    was close to burn out trying to take care of his wife 24/7. He started one day a week, built up to 5 days a week as
    he found she was enjoying the time there. Was the best thing for both parties.

22. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Lost my Mom and Grandmother to dementia. Just a horrific disease. Take care of yourself while you're caring for her. Support is key for a caregiver.....family, friends and Alzheimers/Dementia support groups. Rootin for ya man.

rod1, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  23. williebill

williebill

Take care of yourself and your wife.
    When my Mom was ill with this, I would go to my parents house every night, mostly to help my Dad. He was in his 80s during the worst of it ( and caring for her hastened his own death), and I would start a conversation with her about my day, my kids, anything. While she was trying to listen and understand me, her attention wasn't on her constant badgering of my Dad, so that allowed him to go into the other room, sit in his recliner, and close his eyes for the only break he would get that day.
    I couldn't do much, but I could tell her I loved her, and give him 30-45 minutes of peace until she went looking for him again.
    Take care of yourself. Come visit us when you can.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

34Larry - Thank You for sharing with us your current situation - plenty of good information included in the messages to you from here - take one day at a time - we are part of your "Family" of supporters

25. E99CCC91-0741-4EF9-806A-1FC8CAAA9A0E.jpeg

The lights on and beers in the fridge for you.
    Take care and come by when ya can.

26. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Tough situation for sure. Some good advice given already. Easy for me to say but here goes: Pace & take care of yourself too.

27. Take care of family, but also, make time for you and your mental state.

Elcohaulic, clem, Joe Blow and 3 others like this.
  28. modagger

modagger

So sorry for what you’re dealing with Larry. Take some solace in knowing that whenever you do get some time, no matter what time it is, one or more of us will be here to offer an ear.

Jeff

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lost my mother in law to dementia. It is really hard on the family and loved ones. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Joe Blow, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. ken bogren

ken bogren

Hang in there Larry, and hang in here whenever you can, sometimes a little diversion really helps.

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.