Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Your opinion on a camshaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Apr 8, 2021.

1. I don't get what you're saying? I had the block cleaned, checked, taper was bad, so he bored it to 3.905. Honed it, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. Done it that way my whole life. Ordered a block kit from northern with .030 over pistons.

2. Where were you a week ago damnit lol. Ah if i was gonna go crazy i would've built a 383 or something. Just using what i have for the most part, or what i can afford :) you coming to bowling green big guy?

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I always have my pistons fitted to the block.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Not all pistons are sized the same. What he is asking is how can you get the proper piston clearance if you don't have pistons in hand. Some of us are really fussy about piston to wall clearance.

I got the block for my 355 for example from a machine shop in Florida. The block came ruff bored +.030 with pistons, but was not finished. I *tailed it in myself with the piston to wall clearance that suited my build.

*finish honed

5. Best advice and can give on a cam is to hold on to it real tight when you use one in a fight.
    A friend of mine pulled a camshaft on a guy once.
    Didn’t end well

6. guess I'm not taking it that serious, never have. Never had an issue either though. We'll see what happens on this one lol.

7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought this 283 was gonna be for Momma's truck anyway? Did she get something better? LOL! Gonna try like hell to get to Bowling Green, this damn work bullshit always seems to get in the friggin' way though! :confused:

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. I've got 2 engines at the machine shop, both are 283's. But yeah she did get something better, i bought her a complete running/ driving 55 first series. All new 350/350 turbo. Guy has already done a bunch of work to it. He took it to a bodyshop and it set there for a year and all they did was take the fenders and running boards off. He went and got it, stuck it in the barn. It's been sitting there a couple of years. He asked my if i knew anybody that wanted to buy it. I got it for $3000. We're gonna switch cabs. Hers is better. Plus she likes the 2 piece windshield better, so do I. And we're gonna put the 50 grille in it. She's happy. And if you get to Bowling Green, ribeye and beer is on me :D

9. deucemac

deucemac

Back in the day, when I knew everything, I would call Jerry Cantrell at Schneider Cams and tell him what I wanted. He would listen patiently and ask me lots of questions followed by, you don't want that cam. He would then explain what I needed and why. That was more years ago than I care to admit. Now I call him and tell him what I have and what I want to do. He custom grinds a cam and I am totally happy. Custom grinds same cost as catalog cams. Give Jerrs a call at 619- 297-0227. I have been doing business with him forever and never a complaint from me or customers. It can't hurt to call.

10. sdluck

sdluck

Piston for a SBC can be ordered any size so , if the engine only need .005 to clean up you can get that size,Save engine and block thickness for later.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Done it the same here. Any good machine shop wont have any trouble sizing a bore when they bore it. I have always let them tell me how much over the engine needs to be bored, and then order pistons for that size. Rings need to be filed to exact end gaps, but the bore is going to be based on aa 2.875" plus whatever over is needed to clean it up. It's not a random size that pistons need to fit.

12. I didn't read through all of the replies but I'm an old guy and I will tell you that because of the tunnel ram, it will be easy to overcam your engine. The 097 is a wonderful compromise. It will work on the street and not cause driveability problems. If you want trouble free, the 097 or a small Comp high energy series will make you smile. You need vacuum at low speeds to tell the carb to let fuel in. Any cam that lowers the vacuum will cause poor low rpm performance. The 097 with solids will have the sound that any serious gear head will recognize. If you don't want to set valves, look for a similar hydraulic grind.

1Nimrod, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

14. Where’s my cam? 944C955E-7FB6-4629-AC1D-9B2B23E14A7D.jpeg

15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why is Ron Jeremy huggin' up on Lloyd's wife??? :eek:

16. The ‘stash is back!

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've read the same thing around here, lot's of folks like to sneer at them. But I've also seen reports of engines making real good power using a Thumper cam. I'm no cam expert and never claimed to be, but I'm not so sure those cams are as lame as a lot of people think they are.

18. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Lloyd, like I said in Post #2, get ready for the replies....up to 77 and still climbing...

1Nimrod, 61Cruiser, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. Fordors

Fordors

Yep. He needs more duration, .485 lift, a custom grind, bigger valves, different heads and more.
    It kinda looked like Lloyd’s mind was made up in post #21, or did that change?

20. Has anyone suggested why not just build a 350 and while your at it use a roller block yet?
    Asking for a friend.

toss in the L79, some generic “z28” springs and pin the studs
    use what ya got and enjoy it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  21. Had some in depth conversation with nailed Jason about the 283 and the 097 cam. It's pretty much settled. Now for the heads. This joint is traditional, and so are power pack heads right?

22. My last one was a 355, flat top pistons, double hump heads with 2.02/1.60 valve's, headers, edelbrock performer RPM, thumpr cam, 4 speed, 3:42 gears, and it was a pooch. Was told by everybody that it was the cam. I guess everybody has different results.

23. Hey i wanna give a big shout out to @bchrismer mustache wax!! (Little advertising plug) if you have a beard or mustache, his wax is the best shit I've used! Plus he's a hamb'r! Show him some love!

24. That @bchrismer dude is a good guy too. :D If I could grow a mustache...I would use his wax. :oops:

395D7A55-980D-439D-B9B4-E04132AE74F2.jpeg

1Nimrod, 61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. I guess it depends on the shop and the quality of their boring equipment.
    My pistons usually mic dead on of each other,,,,,,at least within.0005 of each other,,,,,.
    Out of 8 new pistons,,,,,6 will be dead on,,,,if not all 8 .
    Then my machine shop will bore to the dimensions I tell them,,,,,,,,all 8 bores will be dead on the money .
    CNC honing makes a big difference !

Tommy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

I think today’s quality of pistons is much better than long time ago. I do understand fitting the piston to the bore, etc.

I also recall filing rings for proper gap long time ago, but haven’t had to do that in the past 20 years. Gaps are right on.
    My babble aside, it’s always good to double check everything before assembly.

27. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

3/4 race cam of course!!!!! Whatever exactly that is! Sorry i just had to say it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Yeah i seen that sticker on a post of yours, that's how i found out about him :D now I've got his stickers on everything lol

29. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder