Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aftermarket gravel pan 42-48 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by topher5150, Apr 9, 2021.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I am having a hard time finding the part that goes under the grill between fenders for a 42-47 Ford car. Looking at VanPelt's site and it looks like the 42 Ford (part number 8188 on the drawing) part is closest to what I want. Does anyone know of an aftermarket or a repop piece out there???
    [​IMG]

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Don’t believe it’s being or been made. It’s also different year to year. I’ve got 2 46 fords in the garage and even the splash pan above it is totally
    different. Seen a few with out as well. Probably best to hunt a stocker down or just make one

lothiandon1940 and topher5150 like this.
  3. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I believe that piece is only ‘42.
    I’ve worked on many 6,7,8 and they all have the gravel shield that filled in the area between the bumper and grill horizontally and don’t use that piece. Or at least I’ve never seen one under there.

lothiandon1940 and topher5150 like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m pretty sure one of my 46’s has the little roll pan under the splash/ gravel shield your talking about. The gravel shield
    Goes on completely different than the other. Might be a late/early 46’ thing?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. rustythumb

rustythumb

try mark kiksac in new york.

6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

That may be so. They all have holes under there that look like that little roll pan would fit in there.

For the OP. I don’t tho it would be to difficult to fab up something to fill the hole.

topher5150 likes this.
  7. Like this gravel pan? The part you asked about is '42 only.
    262 front (Medium).jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Rich B has it right- the 46-48 have the shield between the bumper and the fender as well as the pan between the front fenders that extends side to side and back to the bottom of the rad.Don’t forget the upper piece (not shown in Rich’s pic)that goes in front of the rad. That ‘rad cover’ and the lower ‘splash pan / gravel guard/ fender filler - (call it what you may)- serve as a ‘scoop to direct all the frontal air flow through the radiator core for efficient cooling.

9. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

I was looking for the same parts for my 46 coupe. If you don't have a copy of the green bible, route 66 hotrod high has tech sheet body parts for 1946-1948 Ford. Vintage parts source has a listing for salvage yards in the us. I circled the parts I was looking for and took a pic sent an email to any salvage yard that had 46-48 ford cars. I ended up buying the parts from French lake auto parts.

bondojunkie and topher5150 like this.
  10. topher5150

topher5150

Why does that black piece look like it goes so far back? I'm not planning on using the red gavel guard but putting in a cover between the fenders
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Which black piece? The inner fenders and extensions are black; while the lower pan is still grey.
    227 radiator (Medium).jpg 234 pan (Medium).jpg