Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford P-up Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, May 21, 2013.

1. Thanks, Don - I think they will look great on the coupe. The rim color suits the car. I might even do my grille insert in this color at some point ...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Attached Files:

3. Thanks, Phil - Yes, that’s the unit I have but no user’s manual. I agree it might have something I could use. My buddy JohnnyC has the same unit - he is away now but when he gets home he will make a copy for me ....

I will ask him about running his unit on 12 volts - that would eliminate a lot of things. All I would need is a reducer from wall current to 12 volts and I am golden ....

4. With Spring Carlisle coming update on me, I started staging all my wheels and tires and some other miscellaneous pieces outside and covered up with a tarp - I was just loaded with wheels and tires - and that opened up floor space. It’s a start anyway. I then did reinstall of the coupe’s rear wheels ...
    598065CE-39B7-4CB0-80B7-6AEB500C423B.jpeg
    They looked so good I had to then install the fronts to see how it all turned out even though they are not yet balanced. I then rolled the car out of the garage to take a couple pics ...
    12D4EFA5-0976-48BD-BCC7-FC7E2966C9D5.jpeg
    E1E62ADF-E284-4545-B0C0-6897C527BADB.jpeg
    I think they turned out very well and I am very happy with the result. With the truck build required ng so many deliveries of items and all the resulting boxes and packing material, I had to do a purge. With the coupe out of the garage I tossed all the cardboard boxes and packing material down from the garage mezzanine to the garage floor below. My buddy owns a shop where he does a fair amount of shipping and can always use boxes and packing material so that’s where it will all go. Now I have some room to breath!

So far I am striking out on my power cord search for the balancer. I am far from giving up but I need to take a different approach I think. What I need is to convert/transform house current to 8.5 volts, 1.5 amps, and 50/50HZ. Any ideas anyone might have I am open .....

I also had to paint the coupe’s 2 old front rims since they were Canyon black vs the truck’s satin black. They are drying and will go on tomorrow. My buddy JohnnyC has quite a few 40 standard caps that I will pick up at Spring Carlisle to complete the look I am after for the build.

My second COVID shot is Wed, the wife’s the day before. Depending, it might be a wipe out for a few days afterwards ....

5. Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. Thank you, Phil - I am a novice at this stuff. I also heard from my buddy Scott (I mentioned him in a previous post) who plays with this stuff all the time and it looks like he has everything I need. But I will also run this by him and see what he says. Since it can run on 12 volts, he says it should be fairly easy to get it to work with stuff he has on hand. Working o picking it up from him as soon as possible.

Between what he has told me and what you have found, we should be in business soon! Thank you .....

lothiandon1940, loudbang and pprather like this.
  7. The second COVID shots kind of kicked my wife’s and my butt. Nothing bad, just tired and achy. Will be back at it soon ...

8. .....Hope the discomfort is short-lived for the both of you.

lothianwilly71, RAK and loudbang like this.
  9. Tom,
    I've got a set of those '40 Standard caps if you need them.

Ted
    PS I know what you mean about the second Covid shot. I just went through that same thing.

10. Thank you, gents!

11. So I have been having to work on other things with little time for the truck. But, my engine is on the run stand and they are getting ready to fire it up ......

12. Wow! What a coupe! My dream car. upload_2021-4-9_11-29-59.png

13. Thank you, sir!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  14. Finally able to get back on doing some work on the project. I just about have the right front fender squared away - by no means perfect but I don’t think it will be too bad and in keeping with the truck.

1823BCE6-20CA-4B5C-8897-DA37EDBB55E1.jpeg
    0F22C140-6CA6-4DF1-A5AB-12328EC36232.jpeg

Looks like the weather is changing but at least I can get the other fender out and ready to work on ....

Feels good to be back .....

brEad, loudbang, 40FORDPU and 4 others like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That fender looks pretty good from here!

TomT, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Wish I could do as well. Looks great!

TomT and loudbang like this.
  17. Progress..always a good thing.

18. Thank you gents - I appreciate your cudos for my work. We will see how good once paint is applied...

The driver fender was no where near as nice ..... where the fender attached to the cowl bracket, there was a crack compromising the fender ....
    9926CF20-9673-4DDE-9AE0-617ADB97AC3E.jpeg
    I did my best welding it back up ....
    E57E9C79-9470-4F2B-A144-EA68FFBBFAE5.jpeg
    There was also a second spot that was pretty thin - I patched that up as well ....
    4DAC127D-BEA5-41C1-A933-06048EBBBEEA.jpeg
    The raised area is where it was welded - there was not much to weld to so once I felt I had a strong repair, I left it alone.

This fender has numerous low spots - here are just a few ....
    9C70FFFB-11A2-44F7-AC39-E2CC19A757CC.jpeg
    My buddy JohnnyC turned me on to a fast dry easy sand body filler. Supposed to be nice out tomorrow so I will work on it then with the new filler .....

19. One final note from today - my engine is on the run stand stand but wouldn’t fire due to a faulty distributor. I dropped off another and we will see what happens next .... fingers crossed!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  20. Been working on the driving vet side fender today and it’s going ok. Thank goodness I am using the body filler my buddy told me about. Goes on smooth, dries fast, and I am using 150 grit to knock it down 220 to feather it in nice .....
    662D99ED-DB67-44EF-916B-6290E01292D3.jpeg
    This fender has mostly little indentations and required 3-4 passes with the filler to get it where I am satisfied ....
    8A6E60FF-1E5A-45B9-90F5-A0D2DC01BE21.jpeg
    191D4684-3171-4648-99D7-A8BC66BA7AA1.jpeg
    F11FE020-8A46-4347-BAB8-EED5FB2D2616.jpeg
    Right now I am using a bit of filler primer to compensate for the brush-like grooves in what I think is DP90 on the fender by the PO. My next step is to use a scotch bright pad to finish it off. If it cleans up nice this one is ready for paint as well.
    053DD3A5-E4B1-4901-B26E-A7F296E970B3.jpeg
    8AD3617B-9F30-411B-B53F-EF31EDC47CF1.jpeg
    7A0C9076-3E5B-4344-9903-4CC12A72DD42.jpeg
    3EF20E85-A87A-429A-BB7A-34E9B312C27E.jpeg
    Tomorrow my grandson has a soccer game and I think that will kill the day for painting. After that I am off to our first o-night camping with the little Casita and I should be able to get some paint on the fenders before having to pack up for Spring Carlisle. I also have to replace the water heater in the Casita - the one in the unit leaks like crazy. It’s alway something .....

To top it off one rim on the front of the coupe, brand new from Summit, balanced ok but had a wheel hop/wobble starting at 55. The runout was bad, so I had to dismount the tire and send that back, battery in the wife’s daily died - I am having waaaaay too much fun ...

Attached Files:

brEad, sidevalve8ba, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Like you I use the catalyzed glaze like Dolphin because, I have had dieback issues with spot putty that air dries like Green Stuff and several others

loudbang and TomT like this.
  22. After my last post, I screwed up. I thought the filler primer was dry and noticed I could still see some pitting so I mixed up some body filler and spread it over top. Big mistake - the filler primer wasn’t dry and now nothing was drying. I ended up scraping it all off down to the Dp90, sanded the heck out of it, made sure it was all dry, and put a layer of body putty on it. I am a bull in a china shop sometimes and it cropped up to bite me in the butt big time. Took 2 hours to get it straightened out - no chance for painting the fenders tomorrow .... I told you 40fordpu (I had mentioned to Mike I was like that sometimes and he got a chuckle out of it!!) ......

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang in there; I did a similar thing working in the garage in the winter and pushing the the process..... it was just too cold.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and TomT like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I polish the dolphin...er I mean use that glaze as well. Always good results! Fenders looking tidy!

25. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you mess wiyh this stuff long enough you Lear all the traps and how to avoid them or get out of them. After 50+ years doing paint and body work I seen a lot

Bandit Billy, loudbang and TomT like this.
  26. Sorry for not posting Well, my engine is running but I am having problems trying to post the video my buddy took. I think he has a android phone and not compatible with my iPhone when trying to upload it. I would appreciate any help anyone can give - just PM me. It did run like a little monster and had a great sound! Can’t wait to get it into the truck ....

Anyway that was this past Monday. My buddy at this shop is very, very thorough and after starting and running the motor for several days he discovered a noise that got progressively worse and it seems like there’s one bad exhaust valve. So, they are going to remove the intake and heads and dive into the problem - better now than later, right?!

Nothing else truck related right now as I am getting ready for spring Carlisle - if you are going, I am in spot II29. Stop by and say hey ..

27. Have him email the video file to you. If you can then view it, you should be able to upload it.

28. Let’s try this again ....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. So it has been awhile and I am having to do more house projects earlier than I had anticipated which is backing me up on the project. The little camper has had some issues - hot water heater was toast - and I dealt with that and Carlisle took a while to gather load and put everything back to rights when I got home. But things have been moving along on the engine front.

It is done - the heads had to be pulled as the valves were used, seals were needed, heads shaved, and valve job done. But, it’s done and although I could not post the video, it sounds like a big block - no lie - and is very responsive. I broke down the one dolly I was using to work on parts readying them for paint so I would have room to roll the truck back, free up the engine hoist which got buried, and have enough space to assemble the motor to the trans and install it in the truck. I also power washed a T5 I scored at Carlisle mainly to be used for parts for another T5 I was lacking a good 5th gear for, top plate, shifter detente, shifter, and tail shaft. The two trannies will combine to make one nice unit for the roadster when I change the clutch disk and perhaps install a fresh motor that is presently in pieces in my garage. But, that’s all after I have finished the truck and worked out whatever bugs crop up. So, that will be a while.

I hope to pick up the motor sometime next week and then have some uninterrupted time on the project ..... I will keep you posted ....

brEad, loudbang, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  30. Motor is home .....
    1E76E54A-FA66-4067-9729-5AAB9A6587F7.jpeg
    ...and safe in the garage with new AC installed ......
    6EF283B9-862B-4B23-B264-49CBB6A80E31.jpeg
    Let’s see if I can keep moving along here, no matter at what speed!