Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 Chevy/gmc truck drum brake springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buschandbusch, Apr 9, 2021.

1. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I'm looking for a front drum brake spring kit for my 1958 Chevy/GMC truck (Chevy body, but I'm pretty sure they stuffed 58-59 gmc running gear under it at some point.) I could order a kit from Classic Parts, but I'd rather go down the street to Napa or Summit Racing. Only problem is, they don't list a kit for my application.
    So I dug around looking for cross applications, and saw that a 60-72 Chevy C10 kit might work, but the hook on the spring end is 90 degrees off, and a different shape, from what I need. So does anyone know of any more common kits that would work for a 58 Apache or GMC 150? Thanks!

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

51 to 72 supposedly used the same brakes on 1/2 ton Chevy, I assume GMC is the same..Around 67 they got self adjusters, this might affect spring shape...

buschandbusch likes this.
  3. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Thanks for the info!

4. squirrel

squirrel

the brakes changed to the self adjusting type in the early 60s, I don't recall what year, and I"m too lazy to look it up. If you try to use the springs for self adjusting brakes on manual adjust brakes, they won't all fit properly.

buschandbusch likes this.