Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what have I found in the bush?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54 ford coupe, Apr 9, 2021.

1. It's GM by the looks, I'm in Australia and it has a General Motors Holden's Ltd plate on the cowl, the plate has no ID but is a weight rating. Chassis 2240 pounds, Gross 5040.
    Can't see any panels or other clues yet but should be able to get a better look next time I'm there.
    Hoping someone recognises that engine to give me a headstart. I don't know if GMH imported built chassis or just drivelines. 20210409_144836.jpg
    20210409_144850.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Truck related.

Truck64 and 54 ford coupe like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@54 ford coupe

That appears to be a right had drive Chevy pickup from the late’30s upward to early ‘50s. The engine is, I believe, a 216 cu in Chevy six. The reason I believe it is 216 vs a 235 is that 216 engine had a tin tappet chamber side cover that attached to both the head and block. Whereas, the 235 block tappet chamber had a complete perimeter and used a tin cover only on the block portion.

It is possible that the cowl pictured there is not original to that chassis.

Ray

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That is my guess also Ray although not in as much detail engine wise, I think GM engine and the chassis seems to have dual elliptical springs, you can't see them but that seems to be a lever shock mounted to the side of the chassis much like a GM would have.

Pat

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Deuces and 54 ford coupe like this.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. By the looks of the chassis, it was a truck or ute. The sedans with that motor (unless it has had a motor swap) had the "top hat" type chassis rails . The motor is a "late" stovebolt ( post 34 I reckon).

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye;)

8. ....Leaves of 3, stay away from me!:eek:

Stock Racer, Deuces, Ford52PU and 5 others like this.
  9. Not native to Australia.
    Although, apparently it has found it's way here. I've never seen it.

10. Yeah the vine wasn't a problem, I was pretty wary of snakes though! Thanks for your input, it gives me some clues to look at more closely next time.
    Had wondered if the cowl was from elsewhere, there is another chassis there too so will get a better look at everything soon.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

If you're interested in trying to find numbers on the engine...look near the back of the block, where the brush covers it, for casting numbers. Might be a long number, and a shorter casting date code. Also there might be stamped numbers, on the pad that is where the distributor enters the block. They will probably be rather rusty and hard to see.

12. What's found in the Bush
    Stay's in the Bush

13. He's gonna need an ocean, of Calamine lotion.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see that you started this thread under the subject "Projects".

You sir, are more ambitious than I.

15. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. If nothing else there is some free barb wire included. Jimmie

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

17. Leaves of 7, feels like heaven. :)

18. getow

getow

Well you have seen it now.. Side leaves look like mittens, will itch like the dickens.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was thinking 216 for the same reason but I can't see the holes where the stove bolts would attach the cover to the block.

When I was much younger I'd try to explore every "bush" I could find!

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The frame is 36/49 1/2 ton. The lever shocks ended with 49. The earlier frames had some cast brackets that stuck out in front of the frame horns. 47/49 didn't have those brackets.

The center crossmember might tell some difference As photos show that they are different on earler trucks than they are on AD trucks.
    If you decide to decode it further the engine serial number stamped on the pad to the rear of the distributor and the cylinder block casting number can probably get you pretty close.
    The black frame is a 41/46 frame note the brackets at the front. Someone changed it to tube shocks with homemade bracket. The rusty one with the engine is a 49 frame. 41 46 frame.jpg 49 Truck frame.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  21. Latigo

Latigo

Leaves of 3, wipe with me.

dan31 and 54 ford coupe like this.
  22. dan31

dan31

Lol, you don't want to confuse those sayings

23. spanners

spanners

Don't think that's poison ivy. My guess would be lantana which is nearly as bad.

24. Not lantana;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  25. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I see what you did there. :D

26. SS327

SS327

It’s a Dodge. No one said it yet.

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Poison Ivy? Pshaw. Watch out for something called "Gympie Gympie", said to feel like a combination of electric shock and acid burns. I think pretty much everything in 'Strya either has thorns or spikes, or is trying to kill you.

28. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Hi Ray, FWIW we also had here in Oz (and I think also the Canadians) what we know as a 'short side plate' 216. It's essentially the U.S. 50-52? 235 but with the smaller bore. It's been known to trick the odd spare parts guy here and there when it comes to supplying gaskets etc. Cheers, Arnold.

54 ford coupe, Hnstray and squirrel like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since we ave an Aussie posting, I will keep what I have found in the “ bush” to myself. A mate!

54 ford coupe and Deuces like this.