Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What Wide-5 rim widths available?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 65standard, Apr 8, 2021.

1. I will be using the 36-39 Ford wide 5 wheels on my 32 Ford recreation. I have five of these wheels and all are 16x4.

Does anyone know if there is a 16x5 version?

I will be using 7.50x16 tires on the rear and I prefer a rim width of 5” to 5.5” with the bigger tires.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Marmon - Herrington 4 wheel drive conversions used them ...

3. I've had some 5". They where KH and there was only 5 holes instead of the "artillery" multiple spoke. There's also the 3.5" V8-60 wheels & the high clearance 18" versions.

clem likes this.
  4. I've got a set of V8-60 wheels that are 16x3.5. They are disassembled as I was going to use the hoops for another project. Want em?

5. Should be able to get one of the aftermarket wheel shops to put wider hoops on the above centers.
    Maybe @wheelkid ?

clem likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

As "pprather" says -

Although they seem to be disappearing, you need to find a "wheel" company that will take your...centers and weld them into a rim width of your choice.
    So conceivably, you could have a 12" wide, wide 5 wheel. There are MANY different "rim" designs. Some have to do with the width, some just the manufacturer. Where the rim center "drop" is, front to back and what diameter, and there may be secondary drops on each side of the main center drop.

Years back, I had the 8", steel Corvette Rally wheels on a 59 El Camino. I did some measuring and figured that a 10" wide wheel would easily fit. I called a shop that I knew of, they said yea, we can do that.
    I gave them two of my 8" Corvette wheels, they called me a week later to come pick them up.
    They seperated the Corvette rim from the center stamping, and inserted into new rims. They set the backspace, tack welded them, checked the concentricity, and finished with the welding. They rechecked the concentricity (on a hub and with a dial indicator) with me standing there, paid and took them home.

Worked out well.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get to know some modified racers. They used them, but generally they are too wide. 10's, 12's and even larger are around, but anything reasonable (6", 7", 8") are hard to find. When I was racing, Speedway Motors had the centers and an assortment of shells, and I made anything I wanted.

kevinrevin likes this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I built a set from 16” mopar mini van hoops. Wide five centers fits right in

stillrunners and pprather like this.
  9. Thanks for all the information on these wheels. I’ll see if I can widen two of mine and make them 5” to 5-1/2” wide.

10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

One thing to keep in mind, if you are going to use beauty rings, make sure that the beauty ring fits your new rims.
    Tom

stillrunners likes this.
  11. I will make my own 16x5 wide five wheels out of the 16x4 rims. This gives me more possibilities to play with the offset too. C78BBEE6-4A10-4F9B-95E9-72C00D9C840B.jpeg

pprather likes this.
  12. 353871DE-2749-48AC-A352-1A57E592E58E.jpeg 9AA07BCA-FDD2-44C8-9232-67A1FA6C26CB.jpeg F80351BD-4CEC-4DA5-8D1F-6C5E074CC22E.jpeg My modified wheel is now 16x5-1/8. I added a strip 1-1/4 wide, minus the 1/8” cut and the result is 5-1/8 wide. I set the center in the hoop with a +1-1/8” offset. From the front, it will look just like a stock 16x4 wheel.

The positive offset will move the rear tires closer to the body. Since I’m building a rolling bones style car, the wheels should look better moved in on a fenderless coupe?

13. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I had 5"wide (wide five) wheels made for the rear on my '37 1/2 ton, the extra width was offset to to inside. The stock houdialle (sp.) shock rubbed the paint off in a couple of places on the wheel. Something you may want to check.