Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. doug schriener

doug schriener

Thank you loudbang for these pictures-I ended up with this car -raced 10 years O/SA-I'm sure Jeff and Richard Wood would be tickled to see this pic. Doug Schriener

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    Good friend is restoring this one.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^That blue 62 really have an aluminum front-end on it?^^^ I knew there were some aluminum front-ends for 63. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Butch.
    I'm disappointed in you. Of all people, I would have bet that you knew that there where a few front ends made available to select racers. Now, let the BSers begin.

slowmotion and loudbang like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hear they made 20 of the aluminum front ends.
    This car got the front end from one of Dyno Don's cars.

Elcohaulic, bchctybob, EVL401 and 3 others like this.
  6. '56 150

'56 150

7. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

Back in 1962, I was an 18 year old hot shot (in my dreams at any rate) driving a 57 Chev convertible with dual quads. I found out about the Rochester FI and decided I wanted one. Went to Don's Speed Shop in Metuchen NJ and saw a whole rack of FI systems so I took the cleanest looking one and put it on that very night. Problem was, it wouldn't start up. OK. Not knowing my a** from a hole in the ground, I started bothering Stan and Cy at Circle Chevrolet about parts, gaskets, etc. Over the next 2 (3?) weeks I completely rebuilt the whole unit except the nozzles. Well, after walking back up the hill (guess why) I got the tools necessary, walked back down the hill, took the nozzles out, walked back up the hill, took them apart, cleaned out the crud in the screens, walked back down the hill (yeah, I was pretty much walked out!) reinstalled them, and with the battery just barely able to turn the motor over, it started right up! Talk about happy camper. I showed Stan and Cy about my success and, a few weeks later, I got a call from the service manager at Circle Chevrolet asking if I wanted to fix an FI on a customers car. This also lead to two other Chevrolet dealers asking me the same thing. I ended up making a lot of money rebuilding Rochester FI units.

AHotRod, quick85, bchctybob and 22 others like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Skip, what a neat story!! Sadly that whole scenario would almost be impossible in today’s world. What a neat era! I am constantly doing everything I can to show my kids actually life skills. When you how to do something and someone else doesn’t they will pay!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

31hotrodguy and chevy57dude like this.
  11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The Pontiac is a MP not a Stocker

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, owned and driven by Rich Maskin, founder of Dart Machinery. He claimed it was a Canadian Pontiac, SBC.

egads, bchctybob, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^And, had to have had a cross ram on the engine with those two hood scoops^^^^ Even the 57 Bel Air has some sort of scoop on it. They're cool just the same, and at some point, were probably stockers.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

bchctybob and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. The Rat Patrol

The Rat Patrol
    from Australia

Gal is Ulrey Bros - Ran AA/S in 64 - winners A/S at the 65 SpringNats.

Schmitt started the 65 season in the 796 65 Galaxie...(Doug Butler co drove)x but Schmitt was disappointed with performance and ran his 64 to win Top Stock and AA/S at the 65 SpringNats.

The Plym behind the Ulrey Gal is Jere Stahl’s A/S 66 Belvedere sedan street hemi - we all know what that car did!

Bob Borked Dodge was sponsored by Welsh Motors...yet to find a pic of this class winning car.

loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. The Rat Patrol

The Rat Patrol
    from Australia

Most likely 1968 when fibreglass and aluminum lightweights were allowed back into SS. It would explain the class.

loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.
  16. The Rat Patrol

The Rat Patrol
    from Australia

17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_5546.JPG IMG_5545.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

EVL401, brut4s, AHotRod and 11 others like this.
  18. 270283

I came across this the other day. It is 2 hours long but worth spreading out over a few sessions. These are home movies (silent) from the late sixties and early seventies from Maple Grove, Cecil County, York, etc. Lots of Junior Stock throughout and especially towards the end at a big meet in York. Ken Gunning, watch the last few minutes first.

AHotRod, enloe, 1320 Fan and 5 others like this.
  19. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

I believe that was the 1969 SS Nationals 3 day meet at York. You got points for every round you won over the three day eliminators. Looks like we ran George Cureton's Tokyo Rose in the other lane although I don't recall the run. We won the Saturday eliminator and did well in the others but just fell a few points short of the overall win. Not bad when we had to deal with a broken pressure plate part way through Friday's eliminator and a field of the nations finest Jr Stockers. Those were the days!!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  20. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I was there along with Tom Neja,Ray Dissette,Marv Ripes,and John Dianna.

21. jroberts

jroberts

1965 and '66 Studebakers used Canadian GM engines, both 8 and 6 cylinder engines. Of course all Studebakers of those two years were produced in Canada, none from South Bend. It was the end for Studebaker....:(

22. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Wow! All the stars from the west coast. The one I remember the most was Marv Ripes because he beat me in eliminations. I thought I could catch him on the top end but it just didn't happen. I sure could have used those points!

23. 270283

You West Coast racers sure weren't averse to a long tow, especially with the equipment of the day. True devotion! The last time I was at a bigger meet at Maple Grove, I could have walked across the pits on the roofs of big motorhomes and enclosed trailers.

24. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

This was Tom's truck. Had a 427 in it. 9.jpg

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Englishtown 1971 our last year. It's in my garage and running better than ever. Here's a picture of it at Atco a few years ago. Same car 50 years later. All original.

Attached Files:

27. The Rat Patrol

The Rat Patrol
    from Australia

28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Wow what a piece of nostalgia! Don was one of my all time favorites. When we were teenagers we used to ask the racers different questions. Some of them were real jagg-offs but most of them were really cool.

Dyno Don was one of the best! He was usually pretty cool. Like when my buddy asked him what a good street / strip cam would be for his street / strip 63 327 Impala. He said no such thing as street / strip. Get yourself a rebuildable demolished 64-66 Chevelle, Tempest.. from one of the insurance companies and build yourself a nice race car. Look for the two door Sedan..
    Don Garlits was always helping the other racers

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  29. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

A request for those that may have such pics. I would like to see some engine shots. Kinda curious about what valve covers etc that they wore back in the day.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Everything I can find on that car suggests that it was the Arlen Vanke & Bill Abraham car driven by someone other than either of them. One source states that the car won A/SA in both 1964 and 1965 although I know that the '64 winner was Ron Mandella in a similar wagon. So far, I've not identified who the 1965 opponent might have been. 079623112bbb7d77219b64fa70fbd9f8.jpg