Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to Get Started...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tribalmonkey, Dec 14, 2020.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

And here we go! Proof that some things do not change. It was the same for young early hotrodders and it still stand true to day. What ever speed it is it is never enough! Lol
    I really like how following your thread is like an old time build!
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Rebuilding rear brakes. New wheel bearings. New cast drums. I’ll do the fronts when I do the drop axle install.
    IMG_5834.JPG IMG_5835.JPG

J.Ukrop, bchctybob, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  3. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Staying with mechanical you have to rebuild them again when you get more power.

Tribalmonkey likes this.
  4. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Yeah. I guess posts like this are evidence of my bigger plan.

Here is what I am thinking. Finish Pappy with drop axle and upgraded drivetrain (probably a Mitchell OD). Keep the mechanical brakes.

Maybe build a bit warmer Banger to drop in later. 39 trans is not off the table in the future.

However, goal would be to keep him on the road while I start a another build.

I’m thinking roadster with Flathead V8 and juice brakes. I’ve been poking around looking for a frame and body. I know someone who might part with a flathead V8 someday.

Tman, J.Ukrop, Tony Martino and 2 others like this.
  5. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Runs and stops great. I was hot rodding around the neighborhood. Accelerating and locking up my brakes. :) IMG_5851.JPG IMG_5852.JPG IMG_5853.JPG IMG_5854.JPG

6. ^^^^^^^
    Livin' in the '40s!

loudbang and Tribalmonkey like this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You have to get one of these.
    [​IMG]

8. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Went for an evening drive after work. It was really nice out. Decided to do a bigger loop this time. Sun was setting on the green hills, farms, and country roads of north central Maryland. When I reached the furthest point from my house I started hearing a rattle. Sounded like loose metal. I pulled over and checked everything. I couldn’t find anything so I kept going. I kept hearing the noise when I would hit rougher spots in the road. I kept going over the possibilities of what it could be. Could it be something that I didn’t tighten back up after doing some work? Could it be something new that I haven’t messed with yet? Clutch linkage? Am I going to get stranded again and have to call another tow truck? Where is it going to happen? In one of the small towns I drive through. Out in the middle of no where. This thing is so old anything could go at anytime, right? Pappy seemed good. Lots of power. No problems with steering or brakes. It was starting to get dark. I tried to enjoy the evening despite the worrisome noise. I made it home fine. Pulled into the shop. Grabbed a flashlight and started checking everything out. Even pulled off a couple of hub caps to see if there was something loose in one of them. Nothing. So then I started tapping on things. Ah ha! It made the noise when I tapped the muffler. My crappy weld for my muffler support broke loose. Ugh! So minor. I need to lighten up.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Tim, J.Ukrop, rbrewer and 9 others like this.
  9. Great story. Glad it was nothing more than what it was. Always a bit unnerving though when you hear something but can't seem to isolate it a the moment.

Tribalmonkey likes this.
  10. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Spring morning cruise. No rattles. Well, no more unexpected rattles. IMG_5886.JPG

11. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

My friend’s son Gavin just turned 11 today. He loves cars. For his birthday he wanted a ride in my buddy Bill’s Porsche. But he was also pretty impressed with checking out a real American hot rod. IMG_5887.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Tim, rbrewer, drdave and 7 others like this.
  12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Way to keep Gavin on the right track.:D;)

14. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Ok, so now I have this...

I’ll post more about how I got it and my plans for it soon. For now I’ll just say the price was right. Interested in hearing what you guys think.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  15. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

IMG_5980.JPG

Tim, drdave, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You don't waste time when you decide to do something, hope it is a good purchase!

rbrewer, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

IMG_5981.JPG IMG_5982.JPG

J.Ukrop, rbrewer, Dustyp489 and 4 others like this.
  18. rusty valley

rusty valley

37 21 stud . is it a runner?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Close. 1936 and no, it is locked up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Dustyp489 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

I am sure you will get the 36 running

Tribalmonkey likes this.
  21. rusty valley

rusty valley

Yes, 36, I see the pumps on the heads now...silly me. Is it an LB block?

22. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Not certain yet. It is not stamped LB. so not likely.

23. A little late getting caught up on your progress, that's a very sharp lookin car!! even cooler v -8

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks!

rbrewer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Gerald Sleater

Gerald Sleater

Like what you've done, I just recently inherited my grandfather's '30 ford coupe which has sat for the last 50 years. The car was originally hot rodded but I'm assuming my grandmother made him put a stock engine back in it. I'm keeping mine as a banger and am currently on the list for one of Terry Burtz's blocks.

Attached Files:

26. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

That’s a great car with a very cool history. I’ve really enjoyed the project but the best parts have been the people I’ve met and what I’ve learned from all the research. Enjoy!

27. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

First time I’ve ever had a car in a car show. FSK Mall car show. Had a great time with my boys. IMG_6004.JPG FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_6009.JPG

Tim, Matt55folife, drdave and 10 others like this.
  28. ^^^That's what it's all about^^^^:)

29. Gerald Sleater

Gerald Sleater

How are you liking your snyder head? I'm trying to decide what I exactly want. My block is cracked in several places but still runs, and I managed to get on the list for a new block. I currently managed to find 2 94 carbs that my grandfather had stashed and am trying to decide if I want to build my coupe for dual 94's or just a single. My car was already set up with 41 or 42 ford hydraulic brakes and tube shocks. I trying to keep it as a time capsule as my grandfather hot rodded it in the early 50's and my dad drove it to school in the late 60's

Tony Martino, loudbang and Dustyp489 like this.
  30. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Gerald - I’m really happy with the Snyder’s 5.5 head. I was going to go with more compression but I was concerned I would be abusing my already worn babbitt bearings. I have not been disappointed with my decision. As far as carbs go, yes, I agree that dual carbs look very cool but what I’ve learned from my research is that one stromberg is plenty for a stock motor. I opted for the 81 and I’d say it’s a perfect match. Another good move was for the FSI 2 distributor. My banger runs great with this setup. If I ever do a rebuild or build up another motor I want to go with a hotter cam.

Cool that you are getting one of the new/modern blocks.

Also cool that you already have juice brakes. I’ve gotten used to my mech brakes and have learned how to adjust them pretty good.

The main thing that want to address now is the speed limitation in my stock Model A drive train. I’d be happy with one more gear. I may eventually make an upgrade to either the T5 transmission or the Mitchell Overdrive. My hold up is that the Mitchell Overdrive is pretty pricey and the T5 upgrade still seems a bit convoluted to me. For now I happily cruise around at about 45 mph.

Enjoy your time capsule project. Feel free to reach out any time you have questions and I’ll share what I’ve learned and give you my opinion. TM