Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SPAL Radiator Fan on Street Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Forty-eighter, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forty-eighter

Forty-eighter
    from Indy

Recently aquired 29 Ford street rod short block with 16" SPAL VA18-AP10/C-41A fan on radiator. Has on/off toggle switch on dash.

This is new to me. What is rule of thumb regarding operation of fan? I live in Indiana.

Thanks.

2. oldolds

oldolds

When it gets hot turn on fan. Seriously though, watch the gauge you will learn when to turn on the fan as it should be turned on before it gets hot. The easiest thing to do is wire in a sensor and a relay to turn it on for you. There are a lot of other things to worry about when driving your car.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, I'm not sure why someone would install a modern fan and then not put it on a thermostat switch. I mean, it's a street rod, not a traditional hot rod, what difference does it make to have a sensor in the radiator?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Fans can have both the sensor and an override switch.
    I have both the sensor comes on at 200 and off at 190 so it's basically at a stop light or other stops when it comes on.
    The override can be used to start the car when it is hot to get all the volts to the starter as the fan only runs with the key turned.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I’m with the crowd of having it come on and off with a sensor, and being able to shut it off or turn it on when needed.

But I’m still trying to figure out a “29 Ford with a short block”? Does the engine not have heads, etc on it? Or do you mean a smaller motor like a 289 or 302?

Blues4U likes this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A/C, no a/c? What radiator? OG model A? New Walker ? Does "short block" mean power adders like cam and carb? Auto trans with a cooler in the rad? Mechanical fan also? Intended use? Need a lot more information to give a good answer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short block might be a V6.... they’re short.
    Seems like we’re are getting more threads that assume we know way more about a writers vehicle. A photo would alway help so we know and could give good advice using the results the responders have had with the same installation....

TCATTC likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Gary and TCATTC like this.
  9. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Generally, the fan may be needed when you are not driving fast enough to push enough air through the radiator. Sitting still at the red light for some time may absolutely need it, driving slow around town may need it less, driving at highway speed should not need it at all.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Shouldn't need a fan with just a short block.
    Once you get the heads bolted on and engine fired up it would be good to have some kind of air movement through the radiator.

TCATTC and Blues4U like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

I found a great place for one! IMG_2773.jpg

Just Gary and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I have had a Spal fan on my street rod for 25 years. Three things will cause it to turn on:
    1. Sensor in lower radiator tank will turn on fan if coolant gets too hot
    2. Fan turns on whenever A/C is on. My A/C guy told me the A/C system needs the fan even if the engine doesn't need it
    3. Toggle switch on dash which I rarely use. Have used it in slow parades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.