Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wagon hunt may be OVER!!! 1952 DeSoto wagon is HOME!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jan 11, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Update on the glass installation nightmare: I pulled the stainless, as it was already coming out of its channel. To my horror, I discovered the idiots had CUT THE RETAINER STRIP FROM THE GASKET. Cut it completely away on the w/s post on the passenger side. Not only that, but they didn’t engage the strip at the bottom of the w/s, so the glass was not secure in the gasket. Had we driven it, it’d have blown out.
    I called the guy this morning to let him he’d ruined a $300 gasket, an irreplaceable piece of stainless, and had not completely set the glass. He took no responsibility at all, blamed his helper.
    So, I’m out $1,000. I ordered a new gasket, and am busy polishing the car today. It looks great, so something is going right.
    IMG_3339.JPG IMG_3341.JPG IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3340.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. dartracer

dartracer

That sucks, did you tell him his helper is his responsibility. He work for him after all.

j hansen, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I certainly did. That's when he retorted with the "...aftermarket gasket..." comment. I'm kind of over it now. I could stop payment on the check, but since he knows where I live, I don't want a rock through a window or something like that. Lesson learned.

4. i did my entire car with Steele rubber parts and was surprised about the perfect quality, i just can't imagine that they delivered shit, maybe really a wrong one?

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Just be sure to let EVERYONE in that area know what a lousy business (and owner) they are. At this point, the best you can hope for is to spare others the grief you experienced.

6. I would totally make sure your local car community blacklisted the SOB

7. I would certainly get the word out locally about what a shit job they did, as well as the owner(?) being a douche about standing behind his work!
    Can't you find an 'old school' glass shop in your area? We are fortunate to have one in my area that has been in business since just after WW II, and they have templates galore, as well as an owner and employees that really about their reputation and repeat customers.
    I would try the old Mopar parts supplier listed above, tell them what you've been through, and ask their advise on how to double-check it before you get too far into install, as well as their return policy. Being Mopar specific, they probably listen more closely to customer complaints since they depend on good PR within the Mopar community.
    Good luck on recovering from those ass jacks!

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend who runs a local automotive glass shop. He is also an excellent builder and restorer of hot rods and customs. He does NOT do glass work on old cars for customers. The reason is this. It takes too long, people aren't willing to pay the price for the number of hours, the variability of parts are beyond his control and the potential for expensive damage is great. As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations."

chryslerfan55, Hnstray and Thor1 like this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I did put a review on Yelp. It’s not exactly complimentary.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Pissed consumer I think is another site to leave bad reviews....

11. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

I'd put a rock through his window..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Wow...I would be sick.

13. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Folks like that are exactly why I try to do all my own work. Found out a long time ago that you can put a butt load of material on the floor for the price of one hour labor! If it ain't right tear it out and try again, you're still ahead dollar wise.

14. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Brian I wonder if your rubber issue might be because of the extra height of the windshield on wagons? I bought wind wing rubber from Steele for my 53 and it was the short to fit due to the windshield being laid back on the wagons adding height to the windshields.
    I called Steele and told them about the problem and they told me that they would not fit a wagon. I bought another set and they cut me some slack on the price due to the issue. A pricy fix but better than body work......
    Good luck with the problem ?.......your wagon is looking great.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I’ve had several lengthy discussions with reps from Steele about this. They list just one gasket (well two but one has a lock strip one doesn’t), for ALL body styles, Dodge, Ply, DeSoto and Chrysler. So, I don’t know. We’ll see how gasket number two fits, I’m wondering if part of was the idiots who “installed” it didn’t set the lock strip.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3354.JPG

Meanwhile, the polishing is going well.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3356.JPG

And the new shoes are here...

18. OUTSTANDING!

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3382.JPG IMG_3383.JPG

The polishing is DONE. I mocked up one of the roadsters HUGE, 235/75R15 tires on the front, they’re the same size as the Coker white walls I got. They clear, BARELY. Wheels are Wheel Vintiques steelies, I’ll run the DeSoto full wheel covers. Kinda “sleeper” look. Headliner and wind lace will be in this week, it’s insured, we are on track.

20. 392

Nice ride

loudbang, Thor1 and flynbrian48 like this.
  21. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Did you look at Metro for the windshield rubber? Didn't look like they had the actual application for a '52 DeSoto, but maybe one of their generic by the foot rubbers could work?

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have one coming from Steele, this time without the locking strip. I think this'll be ticket...

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  23. That outside shot really let’s the color come alive. WOW!

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great Brian! Now quit fooling around and get back to the roadster!

25. He’s not fooling around @Bandit Billy, he’s fixing his wagon.

loudbang, Thor1 and Bandit Billy like this.
  26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The wagon has to be road worthy before I dare spend a second on the roadster!

27. ken bogren

ken bogren

Are you redoing the glass installation yourself?

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3389.JPG IMG_3389.JPG

Yup.

29. partssaloon

partssaloon

Does the headliner need to go in before the glass?

loudbang likes this.
  30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No, but the upholstery guy will be here before the glass guy.

brEad, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.