Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A cowl mini channel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Paul, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1941.JPG Did a quick search on here and didn't see anything on the subject. I thought I remembered seeing it done on here , Rolf maybe? Has anyone flattened out the cowl feet on a 30-31 Model A on deuce rails to give the front of the cowl a slight mini channel? I think it also helps with the gap you get when you put a model A on a 32 frame. If I flatten it where I have the red line drawn in the pic the bottom of the body will slightly hang over the frame.

Attached Files:

2. Are your rails pinched? If not you may have to pie cut the firewall to gain the width to be able to set the body down over the rail. Usually 1/2 inch or so but it helps get rid of the shadow line along the body as you look toward the rear wheels.

3. Here is a 31 that @Flop did a while back that shows the pie cut
    flopfirewall.jpg

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s not technically pinched but when I built the frame I made the rails an inch narrower so the cowl should hang over the sides

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Technically, a 'pinch' is what started all the "Me Too" Hollywood stink.

Just say you 'narrowed' it.

Racer29, oj and vtwhead like this.
  6. Flop

Flop

That’s what you ya have to do to get the body to sit down flat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

NASSAUBLUE65 likes this.
  7. I did a mini channel (about 3/4") with pinched rails on my Vicky.

8. I think you guys are fishing for Kudos when saying mini Channel at one mount point. I'd say it's just an adjustment to make 2 parts that didn't fit well to start with fit like it should. That's probably why you couldn't find anything when you searched for it.
    The Wizzard

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I too am in the middle of putting a 31 body on a 32 frame, like Pist said, modifying the cowl to sit correctly on standard 32 rails isn't a mini channel. Its just modifying one part to fit another, I will also cut my firewall in order to widen it just as my Dad did back in 1950. When I'm done, the body line will more that likely be 1/4" to 3/8" below the top of the frame.

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I did mine straight across as you show, worked perfect. I can post pictures tonight

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mini channel, not mini channel, frame pinch whatever. I'm not going to get in a pissing match about what it's called. I just want to know the best way to go about it.

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

The way you show it in your picture is how I'm doing mine, from research on the HAMB most guys do it that way, that's the easy part. The hard part, for me anyway, is modifying the rear sub-rails to flow with the frame and tie it all back into the body. I refuse to purchase high dollar, fancy sub-rail kits, instead, I'm fabbing my own parts out of heavy gage sheet metal using common everyday hand tools, just the way everybody did it before weld in or bolt on parts existed. I think have some saved threads at home on the tablet regarding your question as well as mounting an A body on 32 rails, if you want I can post the links later today, there is some good info there.

blackjack likes this.
  13. My car (A Vicky) has a 3/4 inch mini channel that goes from the cowl to the back of the body. I reinforced the body and removed all of the original wood subrails. Then I built 1x2 square tubing subrails using the frame as a jig, lowered the body over the frame/new subrail assembly and welded the body to the new subrails. I'm not looking for kudos, I'm just trying to help the OP.

P1050005.jpg

P1050006.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Links would be great. Thanks

15. Flop

Flop

My car sat over the top of the frame rail thus mini channel .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Flop

Flop

Mike Paul likes this.
  17. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here's mine, upper picture is the inside cut and welded flat, the second is from the outside. 1-Cowl bolt.jpg 1-Cowl channel.jpg

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I also made my own rear subrails. Used 14ga, bent it between some heavy angle and a big hammer, then alot of cutting, shaping and welding.

P1060435.JPG

20. etboy97

etboy97

See page two of my build thread (Clark Coupe Build) showing how I flattened the cowl feet to fit my 32 frame.

21. brady1929

brady1929

Some great info here.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

617EC8A7-945B-4D0A-A9B0-AEF016E61918.jpeg 3EECE794-9C12-4BE2-908B-CF829E6A8B5C.jpeg How I did mine.

bct likes this.
  23. Keep the info coming.

24. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got flat feet! IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG

Hot Rod Ron likes this.
  25. Looks good...I'm facing the same issue...did you pie cut your firewall to spread it so the cowl sides clear the outside of the frame rail? My rails are slightly pinched at the firewall (I'm using a frame that was already like that) but I've set my body back 3" (lengthened the frame at the rear over the kickup 3") so the pinch is ahead of where the body will actually sit. I've done the mini channel bit like you did with the feet but its the cowl sides on my car that interfere. I havent welded them back to the firewall yet so I have some room there to play with if needed. Thanks for any input you care to share.

26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My frame is pinched, I didn’t need the modify the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app