Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds Powered '29 Roadster Build. Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Apr 2, 2021.

1. alchemy

alchemy

#10 is getting an Ardun engine?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty, @edwardlloyd was big on riveting as Henry's team did...he did several builds here. I haven't seen much of him here in recent times but there may be helpful info to be gleaned...he was quite an accomplished builder much like yourself...

I see by profile he has been around so perhaps a PM might be yield some helpful tips in light of perusing his build threads...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    loudbang, bchctybob, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Oh, the wonders of styrofoam !

loudbang, bchctybob, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, great pictures, great hot rodder. Thanks for the trip back in time.
    92? Nawww... can't be.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Further to this above here is a link to a Pickup Ed built focusing over a series of posts what he does regarding riveting...as like you several were interested...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/time-for-another-32-pickup.1069072/page-3#post-12420120

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love real old Hot Rods Marty

7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great project, I did the same about 12 years ago. :) 29-08-2009 016.jpg rd23.jpg

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me a while to get that...:D...you have to use a heavier line weight on your pointer Billy...Lou Ferrigno comes to my mind...I hope I'm still swinging hammers when I get to Marty's age...

loudbang, bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Marty you sure have some really cool friends...I find the vintage Hotrod pics a Treasure, when you get to meet the Owner of that Hotrod even from my vantage point, that raises the Bar to a whole new level...

Please give Jack and Jim a Hotrod Salute from All of us...I'm well aware of Jack's Hotrod at least from a visual Hamb standpoint...kind of a Icon really...

You could write a book Marty...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  10. Stoked. Looking forward to the coming .. Strode summer, Marty. Dig it !!!

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, I guess I'd better get mine painted and up on wheels before I see what cool stuff you do to yours and start cutting mine apart again...... It's a '29 on '32 rails with a 345" '56 Olds and Hydro, building it '63-'65 style. It's molded, primed and ready to put color on, good thing the paint came last week! '63 Buick Diplomat blue.
    I just got here, quite a crowd already. I guess I'll be watching over everyone else's shoulders.
    IMG_2109.JPG IMG_2969.JPG

14. I am always amazed at what Jim Lindsay has stashed away on the farm, I miss the pile up very much! You have me hooked on this one Mr. Strode!

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Waiting anxiously for updates! :D

J. A. Miller, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Count me in for yet one more lesson in Hot Rod building. :)

17. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Bugguts

Bugguts

Subscribed! Looking forward to more.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 392

I'm in without a doubt

loudbang likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Good thing about the internet is we all have the same view, no matter when we came aboard.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A little story about Jack. About 10 years ago, a guy in his 60's was talking to Jack, and found out he was in his 80's. He told Jack, "I hope I look that good when I am 80". Jack's reply, "you don't look that good Now"! He is wealth of information, on open wheel racing, and a fun guy to be around.

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Stogy, I will pass the salute to Jack and Jim. Jim is a longtime Hotrodder and Racer, he has written a few books, two that tell a fun story about kids in the 50's and their youth experiences with cars. Jim Lindsay P-8.jpg Lindsay Altered.jpg IMG_3297.JPG IMG_3296.JPG IMG_6636.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great pictures Bob, thanks for posting . Can't wait to see it finished !

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for doing that and sharing more on your friends...I did look a bit into them...and yes, both have and continue to lead lives around what got into their blood in their early youth much like yourself...and then the books...such a rich history in Hotrod your way...I am forever grateful for you fellas spreading the gospel as Ryan references it here on the Hamb...

By the way the Racers you worked on for Jim truly jaw dropping mechanical Art...basking in the surreal beauty of Bonneville...so many Milestones in greatness...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now, a story about another friend of mine named Frank Lynch. In the 70's, here in Oregon, Frank Lynch and his friend Sid Hall, were building some 32's. They went together and built a chassis jig to fit 32's only. Since they lived miles apart, they made it so it could be towed back and forth to each's house. It's a nice, rigid, fixture with a 42-47 Ford pu rear axle, and a removable tongue. Frank and Sid built a number a Deuces, Coupes, Sedans, Phaetons and roadsters through the years, they both built quality cars. Frank did it all, chassis, engines, paint, and we worked together on projects, for 35 years. I had used it on a couple of projects in years past. In January, when I started planning this build, Frank and I had been talking about having me build him a second fuel tank for his Roadster, to get more fuel range, as he like driving long distances. I asked to borrow the Jig, and since the tires were old, he was going to deliver it on his trailer. This was on a Wednesday, and planned on moving it on the following Saturday. On Friday night I get a call, it's Franks Wife, telling me Frank is in the hospital, and things didn't look promising, sadly Frank passed away overnight. When his Wife called the next day to inform me, she also said, "after Frank got the jig loaded, and came in the house" he told her, "I don't need that jig anymore, I think I will give it to Marty". I have been the recipient of many of my late friend's tools, and equipment. Now I have another remembrance of Frank, every time walk by it, he was a trusted friend, and a great Hotrod Builder ! IMG_6310.JPG IMG_6637.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you, friends of and his Family in his passing...and remembering the good times helps ease the loss of a close friend...quite an offering from his wife fulfilling one of Frank's unfortunately last thoughts...one never knows when the big sky beckons one's presence...very moving story...:oops:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  27. deuceman32

deuceman32

I agree, that is a moving story. Marty, so sorry for your loss. I am sure you will make him proud by the work you turn out on the cherished jig.

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Following this for sure. Great story along with a cool build.

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences on the loss of one of your great friends. I'm sure the reason you have such great friends is that you are yourself a great friend!

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Please accept my condolences on the passingof your good friend.
    Friends are what make hot rodding the great hobby that it is - Mates getting together to shoot the breeze, building hot rods, helping to build hot rods, and using them. Seems as though you've made a plethra of great buddies along the line - and being surrounded by things like the frame jig, allows you to reflect in their memories .... and build great hot rods

Just Gary, catdad49, Budget36 and 3 others like this.