Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Dressed Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Apr 2, 2021.

1. atch

atch

There are about a thousand threads on here regarding Buick Nailheads (& I've perused most of them). I have several hundred pictures of nailheads saved on my computer.

What I don't have yet is an actual photograph of what's been floating around in my peabrain for quite a while.

I want to paint the block, heads, factory dual quad intake, water pump, starter, bell housing, distributer housing, fuel pump, oil filter housing, pulleys, thermostat housing, and other appurtenances one dark color (to be determined). I want to chrome plate the valve covers, valley cover, water crossover housing, and air cleaners. I might chrome plate the pulleys; just don't know yet.

The carbs will be new AFB style Edlebrock carbs left in factory finish; or maybe painted block color. Note: thanx to everyone who responded to my post regarding numbers on factory dual quad carbs. I'll take the advice of most of you and just buy new Edlebrock carbs.

I'll most likely use factory cast iron exhaust; probably raw or Jet Hot coated.

I'll post three pix of what I have that's the closest to what I'm looking for. All three of these engines have aluminum valve covers but I'll be using Buick stamped steel.

1. Would you please post pix of anything you have that closely resembles what I mentioned above?

2. OR what you think is the most beautiful way to paint and chrome a nailhead.

3. Next up please discuss assembly bolts. i.e., all of the bolts whose heads show on the outside of the engine. Chrome? Polished SS? Painted same as block? Painted a contrasting color? The good/bad/ugly of it all.

Note: if I paint the bolt heads a contrasting color I might want to paint some of the other external appurtenances (fuel pump, water pump, starter, etc.) the same contrasting color.

THANX!

Buick Nailhead V8.jpg

15345917969_528d80573b_b.jpg

93118396_2399725196797047_1136610464357154816_o.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Deuces, LOU WELLS, 40FORDPU and 14 others like this.
  2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would use real Carter AFB carbs. Look up Jon "Carb King" on here. He could set you up with a nice pair of AFBs or at least show you what to get.. When I see those eldo carbs it just doesn't look right to me. There's something different in the new generic AFBs that comes with the Carter carbs, I don't know what it is though.. I see people have a lot of trouble with them but then again I see people real happy with them..
    That 401 Buick engine was a good running motor especially with the switch pitch 400 turbo hydro..

I always preferred nice clean painted engines without chrome especially with a dual AFB carbs sitting on top.. A little polished aluminum is nice. I like the under hood to be nice and clean but all business...

Out of the three above, I like number 2 the blue one.. Not over done in chrome. I would remove the chrome oil filler tube and cap and use stock steel valve covers. I would paint the whole thing like it came from the factory.. Those stock dual quad Rivera's were so cool looking. They also were very fast.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Deuces, SlamIam and High test 63 like this.
  3. I am like Elcohaulic, I prefer clean painted engines, including bolt heads. I am going Buick engine green with flat black exhaust manifolds, pulleys. and original Wildcat 445 air cleaner. Polished alternator and zinc plated AFB. Closed hood car though.

Deuces likes this.
  4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'd say just no on painting the carbs...that just doesn't look right in my opinion. Leave them the natural finish.
    As for the paint color itself, of course that depends on the color of the car it's going in. I think they look best when they're a contrasting color, if they're painted body color they just sort of blend in and don't stand out.

5. jaracer

jaracer

I've always liked the look of finned covers with paint between the fins. It's a pain to mask, but I like the end product. IMG_1350.JPG

Deuces, LOU WELLS, KiWinUS and 5 others like this.
  6. Did you fabricate that alternator bracket or purchase it?

7. jaracer

jaracer

I made it. The pivot is on one of the crossover tube bolts, kind of my own design. I was able to use the stock slotted arm for the adjuster. I think I may have had to put a slight bend in it. It ended up rock solid.

Deuces, wood remover and dana barlow like this.
  8. swifty

swifty

The cap in the center of your valve cover, what is it called and where did you get it? I have the same covers for my Buick and have the breather but don't have that cap. I also like your alternator bracket.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Deuces, LAROKE, KiWinUS and 1 other person like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How smooth is the casting? That tends to make the difference in the luster of the color you go with.

11. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

arch, you did say "ugly".. PXL_20210331_183047146.jpg

Deuces, LOU WELLS, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  12. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Clean Example In The Right Place... 150675655_10220839105231656_3204934293902054806_n.jpg ..

Deuces, bchctybob, LAROKE and 5 others like this.
  13. Maybe these'll help.
    159814948_zefYggKv_LSRU750150631Edit.jpg DSCN9714.JPG IMG_3767.jpg

akoutlaw, Deuces, LOST ANGEL and 3 others like this.
  14. John Stimac

John Stimac

Mine in my 51 Merc DSCN5643.JPG

15. flynstone

flynstone

sha boing

Deuces and John Stimac like this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

VERY COOL!!!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces likes this.
  17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

20. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

Here's mine, 425 in a model A P1010002.JPG

40FORDPU, akoutlaw, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  21. USMC4LIFE

USMC4LIFE
    from Eastern NC

364 in a fiberglass 32.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  22. jaracer

jaracer

NAPA.

23. Canuck

Canuck

Sort of the anti-chrome look, just a few polished bolt heads. Looks like a 53, actually a 66 425.
    upload_2021-7-12_14-40-11.png

40FORDPU, bchctybob, SlamIam and 8 others like this.
  24. atch

atch

Got any pix of that with the fan spinning?

SlamIam likes this.
  25. Canuck

Canuck

https://imgur.com/PjIyCNZ

"atch", You asked for it, this is the first run on this engine in over 20 years. Thought it sounded pretty good. Click on the link to bring it to life.

The paint job on the fan was for a warning to keep fingers out when spinning. And a little bit for amusement, after all arn't these cars for fun.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    SlamIam, Hamtown Al and LAROKE like this.
  26. atch

atch

Great; thanx.

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

I would avoid "contrasting colors", especially on small parts, looks too gimmick-y. Basic polished aluminum, a little chrome here and there, natural cast iron finish on the exhaust manifolds, semi-flat black on pulleys and brackets if you don't want chrome. Paint the block/heads a color that works well with the car's paint color. (again; not contrasting, as in a yellow engine in a purple car - the "color wheel" is for paintings and graphics not hot rods) If the car's going to stay in primer, I'd paint the engine a Buick factory color, or gold or black.
    Sorry, no pictures, mine's not painted yet.

High test 63 likes this.
  28. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I think the injected nailhead that is in the "Uncertain-T", featured in Rodder's Journal #83 is one of the nicest engines I have ever seen. The flat valve covers with the vertical injector stacks are just perfect.

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

"Nailheads" are a name that just does not do any Buick engines justice. Someone made it up and for lack of a better description, similar to the dreaded: “gassers” mistaken identity. But, when Buick motors and race cars go together, we all think of early hot rods. Tommy Ivo seems to pop up as a great example of using a non hemi or SBC motor for his builds. Ever since he started driving around in his T-Bucket, it has always been front and center as a well prepared, show quality race car.

As an early drag race car and hot rod action aficionado, my brother and I read as much as possible, looked at all of the cool hot rod/drag race builds and got started on that crazy world. From the time he got interested in drag racing with influences from living so close to the newly opened Lion’s Dragstrip near our house, it became a center topic in our lives.
    upload_2021-8-1_3-44-3.png
    I received this original photo from an old friend in the Standard 1320 group. (Not posted from the HAMB.) It was the black cladding on Tommy Ivo’s Twin versus the blue Chevy powered FED of Valley Home Service at Riverside Raceway in 1959.

Jnaki

This location at the Riverside Raceway in December of 1959 was very popular and historic. Here is a film I took of the exact race between the twin Buick FED of Tommy Ivo and the blue SBC FED of the Valley Home Service Group. The afternoon sun played tricks on the film and angles all day. The tall cliffs were just another angle to taking films of the whole quarter mile track and races.

Twin Injected BUICKS VS. Supercharged SBC FED

As you can see, the quick Valley Home Service SBC FED takes a surprising lead and holds it for some time. Then the powerful Twin Buicks take over and “ekes” out a win in the canyon…

We had seen the development of the single engine Buick powered FED race cars from the early days at Lion's Dragstrip. But this twin was something new and exciting. The engineering was pretty outstanding. As always, the Tommy Ivo builds on any hot rod or drag race vehicle is always built with show quality finishes.

(The "coming at you" film was taken from our newly found spot next to our friend, Mr. Childers, the Dilday Ambulance Service technician/attendant)

These are the only color action movies of the twin injected Buicks from the Tommy Ivo Camp. Most were filmed at Lions, but the twin made a debut at the December 1959 Riverside Raceway Meet. That meet was the biggest drag race on the West Coast and had a ton of invading East Coast, Midwest, Northwest, and of course, the top racers from West + So Cal competing for the top eliminator prizes.

1960 Lions Tommy Ivo Twin Buicks Lions and then A Bakersfield Wheelie

Here is the latest real SOUND for old 1959 films. A real Tommy Ivo twin sound for the real Tommy Ivo twin injected Buick FED... Thanks, Lee

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.