Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 97

Haha , just a wind up really! You are correct about the "modern" parts , but I was only really referring to the frame, and the grille. Shifter position looks like maybe a T5 to me but that is hidden really and the wheels etc, are OK . I like the car a lot and have no real complaint ( each to his own ), just reinforcing my thoughts to Joey about his future plans. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty observant but I am surrounded by some extremely Eagle Eyed Hambers many who've been in this game way before my exposure to all of this...let's just say it's inspired for numerous reasons much like my Sport Coupe...I'm always in admiration of those who try to lean Hardcore Traditional... but many miss the mark for unseen details and many times visible ones...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  3. 97

@Stogy . I am only a new kid on the block, :cool: still a learner always will be ....I got my RPU in 1968, (it's still here) but I learned to drive and started learning about and working on Model As with my Dad's Tudor and his mates RPU about 1963/64.

I have some 29 sport coupe parts here which were supposed to be a roadster when they came my way.. I have added some other parts and I fully intend copying your roof and back panel! I like it!

chryslerfan55, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @97 I was just moving on from Tonka toys in 68...

Hamber @Koz was responsible for the postwar Aviation inspired top... @HomemadeHardtop57 was the Hamber who envisioned and built the Hotrod...2nd owner @voodoo twin had a hand I believe in the rear fenders and a few other things...I guess I'd say bring it on and we are all honored...;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny it's seems like we're all here waiting for @J.Ukrop to show up with more good Ole Hotrod stories...:D

J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and Tony Martino like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last night I accidentally only posted half of my update—oh! I'll start off with it tonight.
    IMG_3882.jpg
    While browsing Instagram, I came across this old chrome timing gear cover for sale. As you can see, I pulled the trigger. It'll look right at home on the engine.
    IMG_3883.jpg So beyond that, I have been doing a fair amount of road testing. Lots of small adjustments to the carb and brakes to get everything feeling right. After one of my drives, I noticed the right front brake drum is getting hot while the others remain cool. I tried backing out the adjuster and it seemed to help. I understand that it'll take some time for them to get them broken in.

Dannerr, catdad49, burl and 8 others like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I love everything about this car. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad to hear you were able to get yours out for a cruise. Nothing says spring like taking the vintage tin out for a spin!

Thank you, Dennis. That is a very well done car and I think the multi-color scheme works well for it. I'm taking mental notes for my build. While reading one of Don Montgomery's books this afternoon, I came across this photo and caption. Just as true now as it was then! IMG_4110.jpg

Hahah that was backfire. It's pretty safe around here. (Well, except for hot rod hooligans). From what I've read, it's backfiring because it's too lean? I tried richening it up and it seems to backfire less. Any suggestions?

x2 on all this. I wouldn't kick that one out of the garage, that's for sure.

catdad49, chryslerfan55, 97 and 3 others like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I love hearing everyone's old hot rod stories! I have a fun one that I posted over on Instagram the other day that I'm going to share once again here.

"The Pink House"
    CCE595BA-A5A8-423E-8B3E-ACD372D83861.jpg
    This is my favorite house in San Francisco. Every time I pass it, I smile—or stop mid-conversation and tell whomever I’m talking to how much I like it. I love the turret, swooped roof and, of course, the color. It’s undeniably fun.

During today’s Model A test drive, I pulled over for a picture. It’s a shot I’ve taken many times with just about every vintage machine I’ve owned in the past six years. As I stood in the street, an older gentleman walked by. “I like your car!” He said with great enthusiasm. I thanked him and told him that it was from 1930. “Twenty years older than me!” He said.

I let him know how happy this house makes me. “Oh,” he said, “it’s my house!” I couldn’t believe it. After all this time admiring it, I finally was able to meet the owner. He informed me that it was built in 1904—two years before the big San Francisco earthquake. “What’s your name?” I asked. “Joe.” What’s yours? “Joey!” He laughed, I laughed and all was well.

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The other week, Prism Supply was having a storewide sale. I took the opportunity to pick up a quartet of glass license plate jewels. I love details like this. IMG_3896.jpg
    I've also been working on getting the taillight internals dialed in. Hopefully I'll have it sorted soon. IMG_4103.jpg
    Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that the open exhaust was less than ideal for life on the cul de sac. Since keeping things simple is of great importance in all hot rod builds, I figured that it doesn't get more straightforward than a couple of baffles. After a little bit of trimming, I slipped them in. The car is much quieter but still sounds meaner than it did with the stock manifold. It did spit out one of the baffles while I was tuning in the driveway; I'll give it a slight reworking and we should be good to go. These should be sufficient until I get the mufflers installed.

10. 97

Bah, mufflers, baffles are in ...Job done!:eek: Moving on!

Brakes are supposed to get warm, even hot if they are being used , maybe the others need to be adjusted up a bit to even up the temperatures and wear them all in evenly rather than back the one off and find that it takes a month of Sundays to get the wear in done and ready for the working adjustment , don't glaze them though, it's a fine line.

Dannerr, catdad49, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey,
    You asked about the backfire..
    Out the carb, lean
    Out the exhaust, rich
    But it is going to be kind of difficult to do a final tune with the open header.
    Hope you didn't jump to far when it did it, the unexpected one can be a heart stopper or make your girl jump into your lap....
    Keep on having fun

Outback, catdad49, guitarguy and 6 others like this.
  12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Backfire = over rich when letting off, coupled with an exhaust that allows air in (very short/no exhaust behind header or big leaks) while exhaust is still hot, igniting the mixture. This is going to happen with carbs, due to the sudden closing of the throttle causing a high vacuum signal, drawing more fuel and closing off air.
    A long sealed exhaust will be a big help (but not roddy), other 'solutions' done by OE mfgrs are
    1. a decel valve, allowing added air into the intake under decel conditions (a kinda poor solution that often failed)
    2. decel diaphragm, which slowed throttle return (makes the throttle response when letting off terrible)

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Part of the magic of driving old cars is the way they open other people up. If you'd been taking a picture of your Prius in front of the house he probably wouldn't have said anything. If you had not complemented the house the moment would have ended. So many special moments are lost because we are less open with those around us. It didn't used to be that way. Everyone has a story and some are worth hearing. :D

14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

It might be just me, but I would have asked for a tour!

Outback, catdad49, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That’s a great way to look at it. I’ll do some investigation prior to my next test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah that’s the most positive outlook on backfire I’ve ever heard. Love it!

Excellent explanation, thank you. I’ll see how it does with the baffles as I work on the muffler configuration. I have a feeling those will help the the backfire!

Very well said. I’m so excited for many more moments like this as I dive further into the world of driving an old car.

In retrospect, I should have. Looks like I’ll just have to drive over sometime soon. Plus, I’d love to check out the detached two car garage

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Probably has his dad's pre-war dry lakes car stashed in there.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

He probably does! Speaking of which, I was doing some research reading with one of Al Drake’s books last night. Cool to see some ‘bangers like mine from way-back-when. IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

19. 97

AND ain't they great, AV8 drivers just don't know what they are missing . Have you ever heard the saying '
    "Nothing beats a Model A across the intersection". Wasn't until around 1938 39 that V8 powered cars were regularly beating bangers at the dry lakes. These days it can be the whole quarter as displayed at the RPM nationals a couple of years ago by @530sandman when he raced the fastest blown flathead there.
    I think I posted this before but here goes anyway.

20. That banger screams!

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  21. 97

Imagine what it will do when he puts a blower on it!

22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey, I know this isn't the way you are going to go with your banger, but this is some magnificent eye candy to be appreciated, it belongs to a friend of mine here in Seattle.

banger eye candy 2.JPG Banger eye candy 1.JPG

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This video never gets old. That has to be the hottest traditional 'banger around. Worth the price of admission right there.

Woah, that is pure art. Details everywhere you look. I especially like that Thomas head and matching intake.

catdad49, Stogy, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

On Wednesday, San Francisco was blessed with some incredible summer weather. I got off work early and was able to come home and—you guessed it—take out the roadster. On my first leg of my drive, I moseyed on over to the gas station. It was running strong but the stopping left a lot to be desired. After pouring in some gas, I took @97's advice and moved the other brake adjusters inward. Holy smokes—it stops so much better! It does pull to the left some, but it'll just require a bit of additional modification.

Out on the streets, the car ran great. I tinkered with the mixture and backfiring has been greatly reduced. There was something very special about driving this car for the first time on a warm San Francisco night. Roadster weather!

As May (my 28th birthday) approaches, I've been looking back on the progress of this project. I'm the first to admit that it has a long way to go, but I can't help but smile knowing that this car was just a pile of parts last summer. Anyways, with that in mind, I swung by the street where I parallel parked the U-Haul trailer on Day 1 and where I posted up midway through my first test drive.

Then...
    IMG_9956.jpg

Now...
    IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg
    I can't stress how much better it is in this hilly territory with the electric fuel pump and downdraft setup.

After the mini-shoot, I swung by one of my friend's houses on my old street. He's working on a Panhead chopper project, and it was fun to catch up. He took this neat shot of me and the car on Turk.
    IMG_4125.jpg

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A couple items to report from the drive. First and foremost, the car keeps on shooting out the baffles. I'm going to get a better set and they will be secure. Details on that to follow.

The other thing is that the car does leak a little bit of oil (a few drops from between the engine and the bellhousing) and a little bit from the rearend. I'm going to keep a close eye on those areas and take note if anything changes. Overall, the driveline seems solid *crosses fingers*.

Dannerr, catdad49, bchctybob and 8 others like this.
  26. Owned my panhead since 72 and the roadster since 08, leaks let you know there not out of oil.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Didn’t A’s have intentional leaks in that area? The engine not the rear

Stogy, Six Ball, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  28. Joey, Get on the Ford Barn and search "Model A engine leaks"
    There is gobs of info on this over there.
    Just a FYI, when you run bigs and littles the engine side of the torque tube is sloped toward
    the trans. In a stock A it's sloped toward the rear end. One leak might also be from this.
    There is a fairly easy fix, a "C" shaped seal of sorts that gets placed in the
    bottom of the torque tube close to the front,
    to prevent the axle oil from traveling out the end.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Dannerr, catdad49, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey,
    Always happy to see you driving. I know that it is therapeutic for me and it tells to be for you as well. We need to get the confidence up in your equipment.
    For the brake adjustment, there is a procedure that may have been missed in the brake set up that will help with the pulling to one side.
    Basically, all the service brake rods are hooked together...think about it the travel needs to be equidistant on all corners or one brake assembly is applying sooner or later than others. Coordination of arrival at the same time....mmmm
    With the brake pedal all the way in the 'not braking' retracted position...you may need to affix it all the way out there. I use a bungee cord or tarp strap to hold it there.
    Unhook the brake rod at the levers at the front. Push the lever all the way forward. With the lever all the way forward, the mechanical advantage is the greatest. The clevis pin should just slip in (and out) with the lever in this position. The rod may be too long or too short (usually short). The clevis is threaded on the rod. Adjust the clevis position on the rod until the length is obtained that this happens. Also while you are at it, move the lever back and forth while the clevis is off and kind of get a feel where the resistance starts...that is where the wedge is starting to move the shoes out towards the drum. Compare that in all wheel positions.
    If there is a lot of travel on the fronts, there is a cup shim that can be placed on the rod that travels thru the king pin to lengthen it. I.ve also been known to gas weld a bit of length onto the push rod to lengthen it. You may need to add extension to the brake rods too, I have, but they should be forge welded for safety factor. Also pay attention to slop or play in all the linkages. Worn mechanical connections in the brake components are travel where no braking action is happening. There are aftermarket parts available to help with this if need be.
    Anyway...adjust all 4 corners so that all the brake linkages start traveling from the same position.
    I hope that I explained this in an understandable way but if you eliminate slop and free play along with having the braking action start at the maximum leverage, you can lock up all 4 in a hard braking application.
    Also Henry had the brakes set up with more braking on the rear than the front....kind of opposite of what you know about modern iron.
    Why? So the back end would be less apt to pass the front end on a slick braking situation a low tech 'ABS'
    Good luck and keep playing...it's a process .....oh... and to be 28 years old again....

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

HOT ROD HOOLIGAN WITH NO FENDERS OR MUFFLERS TERRORIZES PEACEFUL SAN FRANCISCO RESIDENTS!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Outback, catdad49, Cleat and 21 others like this.