Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds Powered '29 Roadster Build. Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My old friend Jim Lindsay, has called upon me, to build him a '29 Highboy on Deuce rails. He brought me a pile of parts, a solid body, pretty good frame, and will be delivering a V-8 Halibrand quickchange rear axle, soon. He want's a car that a kid would have built around 1960. I have built some Drag and Land Speed cars for Jim over the last dozen years, and we understand each other very well, he never asks for more than I can deliver. I have had a 55 Olds- 324 engine for 35 years, never thought of selling it. It is full dress, with Edelbrock Tri-Power, and valve covers. It also has a Moon valley cover, and a new, in the box, Isky 505 Magnum cam and kit, purchased in 1963. The kit is complete with, cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, lube and decals. I am also including a new Schiefer aluminum flywheel, a Cragar starter change over, and adapter to early Ford. I have a vast assortment of Mallory distributors to choose from. This car will be the perfect home for this classy engine. If, and when I get in trouble, assembling this engine, I have already talked to our Olds expert Paul, for some guidance. Pictures to follow.

2. You know it.;):)

mgtstumpy, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Gofannon

Gofannon

If you start any more build threads, we'll have to give you your own section on the HAMB.

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is what I am starting with. IMG_6589.JPG IMG_6591.JPG IMG_6593.JPG IMG_6609.JPG IMG_6608.JPG IMG_6610.JPG IMG_6612.JPG

Woogeroo, camcrusher, slim38 and 27 others like this.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Tony and Mike, I can start em with the best, finishing them is quite another ! Glad to have you aboard.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Today I set out to disassemble the frame down to rails, by drilling out the rivets. The front and rear crossmembers are to be replaced, along with the frame horns, and k-member. It was a nice sunny day, so I moved outside to make the mess. I have the chassis jig moved in, and will be going forward this weekend. IMG_6613.JPG IMG_6614.JPG IMG_6615.JPG IMG_6616.JPG IMG_6617.JPG IMG_6618.JPG IMG_6620.JPG IMG_6625.JPG IMG_6627.JPG

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang Marty looks like an Adult was working on that frame in the past, glad the kids are getting involved...:D

Seriously Membership has its privileges, thanks to You and Jim for sharing this adventure back into time...and despite the lack of finesse on the old frame the less than beautiful did do what it was intended to...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    loudbang, chryslerfan55 and brady1929 like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Subscribed.

Blues4U and Stogy like this.
  9. Another Olds powered build......I'm subscribed now.

10. Thanks for bringing us along.

loudbang, Blues4U and Stogy like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

Looks like some nice parts....and some that need a little attention. What’s a build without a few challenges? I’m in!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh man can’t wait to see what you come up with!

loudbang, Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  13. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

^^ Me too! ^^ :D

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wish I had your energy Marty....

RidgeRunner, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looking forward to this build, and hopefully seeing it in person in the future Marty!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm with you on that Jimmy, I'm a few years behind Marty in age but 50 years behind him in energy!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Stogy, it really looks like something I would have done in '63, when I had real energy !

badshifter, loudbang, ottoman and 3 others like this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jimmy, I wish I had half of your talent to make things handle and run strong ! You own my second favorite car as well,

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks to the rest of you for your interest, this is going to be fun.

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Sounds like a great project and looks like a nice pile of parts to start with, 'will be watching this one for sure!

22. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

Makes my day, another session of the marty strode school of hot rod fabrication. Thanks Marty!

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember that during the Kookie restoration there was some interesting welding that, like that did exactly what it was intended to. I also remember some footage of Norm driving that T hard...so yes, I guess I may be looking at exactly what may be part of round 2 of teen meets Hotrod...what's interesting is you have probably seen a multitude of exactly that. I suppose you just have to meet it somewhere in the middle...maybe that's something you're going to leave as is...many times that's an easier way of achieving the ambience being targeted. I've hung around Marty's shop for many years here and like your good friend Jim, I have complete confidence in the blast to the past you will build before our Hamb front row seats...;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes and with capital M and capital S.
    I know, I know, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

flatheadpete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what you get for swinging the heavy hammer with only your right arm! Happily watching Marty!
    upload_2021-4-2_12-6-9.png

raven, Tim_with_a_T, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Marty, thanks for another Main Event!
    The body looks like it's ready to fit subrails to the Deuce 'swaybacks', is it as nice as it looks???
    Side rails look pretty smooth, I had a pair that was badly damaged from K-member forward, Jerry Kugel was set up to provide firewall forward repop rails with horns, so I went that way...
    T or A rear spring? (I used '27 T, for 'shape' and desired height on my '27 Hiboy)
    Anxious to see your magic on the K member! Thanks!

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When great hot-rodders get together...

loudbang, bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ricky, I had a visit this morning from a real great Hotrodder named Jack Greiner. I wrote an article in HRD some time back. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/you-dont-know-jack/ and many of you will recognize his super low Deuce Roadster from 46-47. He is doing well at 92, what a great visit with an old friend. IMG_6630.JPG 2013-12-19 093905.jpg 2013-12-19 095627.jpg

Spooky, deadbeat, hfh and 50 others like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I am going to make the best I can, out of the frame. Jim furnished a very nice K-member, and he want's it riveted in. Has anyone riveted one back in, info appreciated. BTW, it won't be pinched.