Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dynamat alternative

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TBonez, Apr 1, 2021.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't want this one to feel like being in a new car, I wanted it to feel like being in a hot rod. So I left it bare, although I did apply some red oxide lacquer primer.

I don't have any trouble with heat, noise etc. And, the light weight means it's fast.

018-1964-chevy-ii-nova-drag-weekend-2016.jpg

swade41, 19Eddy30, razoo lew and 5 others like this.
  2. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

I partially did mat in my 74 Dodge Stepside. Still have bare floors and it’s still quite warm on 80 degree days. I assume you don’t drive your car June through August.

3. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

In past projects I’ve used Lizard skin sprayed on the floor and once dry a Dynamay style product goes over that. Really insulates the road sounds and takes the tinny sound out of the sheet metal.

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I used Peel and Seal 6 years ago in my Model T coupe. I bought it online in a roll 3 feet wide. I think it was 100 square feet. At that time it was less than $100. I did every square inch of the interior and trunk. Still stuck everywhere and no melting problems, even on the firewall. Foam underpadding, then carpet and full foam padded vinyl interior. It's great. Also helps keep the heat in, in the winter. How many T's have you ridden in with no rattles?

saltflats likes this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

You assume wrongly.

19Eddy30, ottoman, Tman and 2 others like this.
  6. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I should of said I was living in Missouri at the time.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Bigdavid

Bigdavid
    from Tennessee

. The stuff we use here is double bubble.I’ve used it also,had it left over from building my shop. It helps

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HaHa! Nothing could be farther from the truth.Do your research...

Tman likes this.
  9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Hahahahah
    Yeah Tucson isint known for hot weather, and Jim isint known world wide for his adventures including multiple drag weeks.

That made my day. That being said I'll still probably insulate I know I'm not as resilient as he is.

10. squirrel

squirrel

No problem. I just wanted to present the brutal, traditional hot rod alternative to the modern creature comfort dynamat equipped street rod, which seems to be where this site is headed, these days.

11. dan31

dan31

I got my best deal on Siless sound deadening mat for my 64' Polara that i'm doing now. They make it in two different thickness also. It's the same stuff as all the rest.

12. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I am doing my 32 now with Fatmat.
    Sticks pretty good! seams to do the trick!

13. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

And what’s your point?

14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Point acknowledged.

However, some of us are a generation (or 2) older. Specifically, I am over 25 years into "borrowed time". I have almost as may rebuilds as my vehicles... I take enough daily medicine that I can cure people by peeing on them...

I do not read the "Traditional Hot Rod" sub-form and have never posted there. My "inputs" do not belong there.

The HAMB sub-forum was created (with the necessary limits) for those topis that don't meet the purity tests.

Let me end with an analogy: DO YOU MOCK THE CRIPPLED-UP OLD GUY BECAUSE HE IS RIDING ON A TRIKE - OR - DO YOU HONOR HIM BECAUSE HE STILL IS RIDING A HARLEY?

p.s. And this weekend's task is to install electrical conduit under a mobile home - Sometimes, real life has to interfere with our fantasy life (even if I am "deep" retired).

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Mega respect for Squirrel, but the first year I got my Model A pickup with the steel floor, about August the heat inside was too much, it was roasting me alive in there. Maybe it's because I have a lot more stop & go traffic around here. Sitting at a standstill with the heat rising off the floor was too much. A couple of rolls of Peal & Seal doesn't weigh very much. Adding the roof insert also helped immensely by providing some shade. It's now comfortable on the hottest days of the year. I can live with the ever so slight increase in weight. But I don't do Drag Week, Jim does.

16. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I have used spay undercoating and burlap as a sound deadening. Spay the inside of the panel and while it is tacky put a piece of burlap on it and then spray it again. It is cheap, thin and light.

17. squirrel

squirrel

dang, you waited for the warmest weekend yet...be careful under there, Russ!

31hotrodguy and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Mostly working on the east side, one more hour and I am in the shade.

squirrel likes this.
  19. Used that in my Ford, 1/2 the $$ of Dynamat and is more resistant to tearing. Works well with a heat gun.

20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, TTT;
    "However, some of us are a generation (or 2) older. Specifically, I am over 25 years into "borrowed time". I have almost as may rebuilds as my vehicles... I take enough daily medicine that I can cure people by peeing on them...
    I do not read the "Traditional Hot Rod" sub-form and have never posted there. My "inputs" do not belong there."

Thanks, I almost blew my coffee out through my nose laughing. I like your attitude, hope you don't mind all that much iffen I borrow it... :D . Consider it "stolen" ... :D .

My tastes in bike run opposite to harleys, but no point in mocking a guy "triking". Although I'll give up the ZX11-D & riding altogether when I'm too crippled to ride anymore - which may not be all that far away.

Marcus...

Oh yeah; a couple of eons ago, built a dd out of a pos 47 ford pu (flattie v8, pacer front suspension n discs, everything used/junkyard spl, done on the Broke/Empty-wallet plan, etc.), after roasting in the humid MN summer, I found some ~2" thick dense upholstery foam left over from some past interior work & decided to glue it onto the inside of the cab everywhere I could. Sealed up all the holes, too. Probably used interior upholstery contact cement, but it stayed up n tight for ~3yrs. Was nice to have lots of heat in the middle of winter, & the a/c in summer was nice for the few times I used it, esp going to the Nats in KY.
    That foam also knocked down the noise transmitted thru the cab, to where you could talk normally instead of almost yelling. As I used mostly scraps, all it cost was for the cement & some time. Looked like hell, but it worked. FWIW.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  21. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My point is there is nearly No One more dedicated to Iron Man driving events in the most insane of weather conditions on this planet than Jim Forbes aka Squirrel.That said ,I will have plenty of heat suppressor for my candy ass...

Blues4U and Tman like this.
  22. Yeah, Jims trip in the wedge car this winter cemented his ironman status

Blues4U likes this.
  23. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Post some pics of the Polara on here or in your profile. Lots of Mopar guys here and growing all the time

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

They make synthetic jute.

25. I used the Kilmat in the 32 and dynamat in the wagon, I didn't really see any difference with the two products with the exception of price, I will use the kilmat again. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mcsfabrication and SlamIam like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think once you have the mat down, the jute is just to make the carpet plush.

27. I used FatMat from Ebay in a couple of my cars. I like it & it was much cheaper than Dynamat. You can get different thicknesses. For a cheaper alternative, there is a link in the Hamb O Dex section for the kind that does not use the "tar" but is foil on both sides & closed cell foam in the middle. It is on the top of the section at the moment

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Traditional in no floorboards, which is even lighter and vented. ;)

Guy Patterson and squirrel like this.
  29. Crayons

Crayons

I used dynamite in one car and "MAT 66" in another. Can't tell difference. MAT 66, hellofa lot cheaper.

30. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Dyn-o-mite!!!! In my best JJ WALKER VOICE