Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Long distance trips with 6 volts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Apr 1, 2021.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I will build two more,one is a 46 to 48 Chevy coupe or early 50s Chevy p/u to use the 261 and 3 speed o/d I have in stock but since the trans is a late 50s and 12 volts that one will most likely be 12 volts and the other one will be a 40 or 49 Ford with a Y block so that one will most likely be the one with 6 volts. I sold my last 6 volt car a 50 Chrysler in 03 so just how available are 6 volt light bulbs,voltage regulators and other stuff now,I presume some people still drive their all original 6 volt vehicles long distances and I would live to keep one like that or am I crazy to even think about keeping one 6 volts.

2. Just keep spares.
    Most new parts are overseas products.
    Your not crazy.
    I call that “adventure driving”
    Safer sport than base jumping.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

What do you mean by long distances? I had a '47 Ford coupe from 2009-2015 that was 6 volt. I took it on trips that were 300-400 miles round trip with no problems.
    5054_200265730639_701015639_7405343_2486354_n.jpg

4. squirrel

squirrel

find good old used parts that you might need, such as bulbs, regulator, etc. Batteries are available at tractor supply stores, as well as places like napa.

I think you should do it, just to prove a point :)

5. Yep....go for it - actually a good thread you started there ! X2 on the tractor supply batteries - they even sell a 8 volt that you can get charged through the stock 6 volt with an adjustment. Have had a 6 volt from Tractor supply in my 8N Ford tractor going on over 2 yrs which is pretty good since it doesn't go to far around the place !

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Even with an older car that has been converted to 12 voilts, I always keep my "emergency pack" in the trunk
    with points, condenser, wire, electrical tape, etc, flat/phillips screwdriver...etc..AND a good motor club plan. Never
    had a issue that I couldn't fix. That's just part of, and the fun of, a "vintage" car. Also, lots of Hambers along
    the way if you break down and need a helping hand.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "Professor" Old Henry over on the Barn had a '46 or so Ford that was 6 volt and he drove it to hell and gone. Posted some amazing travel logs. He hasn't been on the Barn since September of last year.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No one ever traveled on the highway before 1955-56. Every one stayed home.

9. Route 66 was built after that.

chryslerfan55 and Bob Lowry like this.
  10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Anthony,

I'll cut you some slack for satire on April Fools Day.

Both my Route 66 guides say that Route 66 was created in 1926.

Russ

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've driven a 37 Buick from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah, and Tonganoxie to Tulsa. A bit of hyperbole and actuality in the previous sentence, but you get my drift. Right?

With one exception the car still has it's 6 volt electrics. I cheated a bit and put a 6 volt regulator in a Delco 10SI just because I like things that create high frequency AC and change it to DC. The only thing I have to keep an eye on is the gear lube in the transmission. It goes somewhere, but I'll be damned if I know where. I suspect it's running down the torque tube and filling up the rear axle.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  12. But cars were super old then. How did they travel it?

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awe come on now, that is about the lamest April fools thing I have seen.
    First what is your idea of a "long trip"? Far enough from home you have to stay over night or 2000 miles one way? Or just far enough that you have to fill up with gas to start home?
    The only issue I see is that is the generator and the rest of the electrical system in decent shape and do you have at least one spare headlight bulb and a couple of spare stop/tail light turn light bulbs.

Pull the generator off and check the brushes and bearings and bushings and replace what needs to be replaced. Some simple preventive maintenance goes a long way.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Like stated earlier, keep a stash of parts. I keep a stash in my cars. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

stillrunners likes this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was thinking 400 miles and more and maybe to Daytona Beach and back a few times,its been almost 20 years since I last driven a 6 volt car at night and my eyes are not getting younger. I drive straight through on my trips so there will be plenty of night driving.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. 1500 miles is my longest trip to date with my 6v Ford F1 pickup........several other trips over 1k miles.
    Just do it! Like said, take some spare essential parts along.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would also like a working original radio,those old tube radios have a much richer sound then modern stereos and I think devices are made to run phones and other devices through them to get decent music even with 6 volts.

chryslerfan55 and cfmvw like this.
  18. cfmvw

cfmvw

Used to know a guy who had a 1949 VW that he drove all over the country, Canada, and Europe: 6 volts and just 25 horsepower! A lot of people told him he was crazy to drive something like that, but he just packed a few spare parts, some tools and had a blast. Like many of the HAMB cars, he kept up with regular maintenance and never had any problems that he couldn't fix.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I drove my avatar when it was stock with a six volt system from Denton, Texas to Mo. and my 40 Ford from Washington state to Mo. and it was 6 volt system also. I haven't heard about old Henry on the Ford Barn but he drives that 6 volt 47 Ford all over with six volts too.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Too late to turn back on my 55 Ford or 37 Chevy p/u.

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Up to a couple of years ago, the antique car club I belonged to (yeah, my secret life of shame) took a week long, "1000 mile" tour every other year. Some were as short as 700 miles, the longest was about 1400 miles. There was about 16 or 17 trips my wife & I went on, as well as trips on the in-between years we took solo, the longest of which was 2300 miles. All those trips were in a 37 Chevy coupe with a 6v system and we had zero problems on any trip due to the system being 6 volts

chryslerfan55 and RMR&C like this.
  22. Going up to Hershey one year when we lived in Baltimore. Running about 65 on the Interstate in the Ford Ranger pickup I had at the time. Some guy in a '34 Packard passed me like I was parked. Car looked bone stock, he was probably doing just fine on 6V.

23. 6 volts are lighter than 12.
    Should get better gas mileage with the 6

302GMC, greener200 and firstinsteele like this.
  24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drove my stock 6volt electrical down to the states from Alaska and never gave it a thought. My 46 Ford went all the way from Reno to SoCal and back up to Canada. Absolutely nothing wrong with 6 volt other than the lack of compatibility to modern stuff like GPS charging, etc. Like others have said, us old guys grew up with it and never had anymore problems with 6 volt than 12 volt. It just takes heavier wire for the lower voltage but I still have a hard time convincing myself its ok to use the newer thin wire.

25. I the early 7o's I drove a 1966 VW camper with a 6 volt charging system from my home to Washington D.C. , we drove over 1,300 miles round trip, only electrical problem was a headlight got broke by a fling rock and a drivers side brake light. HRP

26. rusty valley

rusty valley

6 volts is just fine. make sure you have big fat battery cables, and good grounds. most phone chargers will still charge on 6v. happy motoring

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I normally do not carry any spare parts other then ignition but will have to if I keep the 6 volts and does anyone know if the charging system on a Ford tractor is close to a car since TSC and possibly Rural King have parts for those tractors.

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Basically yes. I would suggest bring the shop manual along that has the troubleshooting info on a long road trip. Test everything now, go through the generator innards and maybe install fresh brushes. So long as everything is plussed up it should give good service. I have one of those inexpensive voltmeters that plug in the cigar lighter. Checking the charge voltage now and then between cigare can give an indication of trouble.

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ya know what ppl did before cars were 12V? They drove. Alot. GO for it!

RMR&C likes this.
  30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes I know they drove alot before 12 volts but then if you had a problem on the road most parts were available at gas stations,did some looking in the garage and I have extra 12 volt generators and nothing for a 6 volt.