Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvette Hard Top Transport Relay Shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 18, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looking to get a fiberglass hard top from Oklahoma to California or at least further west.

Options?

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're not in a hurry one of the recommended transporters here on the HAMB will probably be making a run to CA along I-40 as we get closer to spring and less chance of crappy weather. I would think that they would be able to fit a hardtop in with an existing load but you'd have to ask them. In a normal year someone would be heading west to the LARS in June and might have room as well but who knows if LARS will be a go or not for 2021.

Bill's Auto Works and blowby like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks, yeah thought about the weather. I'm in no hurry, just thought I'd put it out there now. Don't think I want to trust Greyhound or Fastenal.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait for warmer weather, drive out to Cali with the top on, drive home sans roof. Corvette summer!

blowby likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bill Squires has contacted me, may be passing through Ok soon on his way west. Hamber @Pooch has the top, need to know where in Ok he's located so Bill can plan his route. He doesn't get on the Hamb that regularly.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  6. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I used Uship to deliver a couple motorcycles a few years ago, had a good experience, not sure how it is now.

7. If you ship it via commercial carrier, you will want to build a sturdy crate. Also, since freight rates depend on what is being shipped, you need to be careful to make sure it is listed in the proper category. If it is called an "automobile hardtop", the shipping rate will be very high. However, if it is a "non-metal automobile top" there will be a much lower rate. I suspect that category is intended for fabric convertible tops.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I have the top. I just checked, I originally inquired about it in 2015! Bill Squires brought it out yesterday, he is a fantastic guy as has been mentioned here 1,000 times. Lucky for me he saw this post and made note of it.

So, this is a coupe style top made to go on roadsters. Yes I know it's odd, not sure I'll like it but I'm going to paint it, along with the rest of the Vette, and see. Not like they are available everywhere. Anyway it's the spark I needed to get off my butt and get finish the paint. I've had it 40 years so inspiration doesn't come easy. If I don't like it I have the other two tops. :)

Another lucky thing happened.. This top is missing the window, and there has been one on local CL for the last year at least, occasionally, for 50 bucks. When it was confirmed I was getting the top I checked CL, no window! Damn! Then about a week ago it popped up again. I called the guy, he ended up being close to where I met Bill for the top (Lodi). It came home in my wife's lap, the top took up the whole pickup bed. It's sitting on the top in the photo.

vette top.jpg

9. The best of both worlds! The mid year corvette is about the only car I prefer in a coupe. I love convertibles, this gives you both ( sort of:D)

blowby likes this.
  10. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have been waiting for years to see that top on a vette.

11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yep, Bill is a great guy and does quality work. A few years ago I was in a jamb to get my '61 Vette hauled and he bent backwards to help me out. It doesn't surprise me he was able to come thru for you too!

blowby and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  12. fleetside66

fleetside66

Every time you think you've seen it all...perfect solution to wanting a roadster one day & a fastback the next...very cool & unusual. Not to put any pressure on you, but keep us up to date on your progress with it. I'm curious to see how the tail of the hardtop fits to the car, as there seems to be a bit of unevenness going on there. Maybe some scribing & trimming needed? Or is there supposed to be some weather stripping around the bottom? P.S. That glass window is making me nervous sitting up there.

blowby likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's been slowing dropping down since I put it up there. Probably change when the window goes in too. There's no attachment back there, I guess I could rig something up to the gas cap hole.

I like the look of the coupe door glass, which slants backward instead of forward and matches the rear glass. Like to get my hands on a couple door glass, scratched or cracked even, to play around with. New ones are $150.

scotty t likes this.