Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Model T Minimalist Speedster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Apr 1, 2021.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Day dreaming of a “minimalist“(low buck) Speedster build. Have a T frame and front end...axle/Spindles/spring/Wishbone, etc. and also have some 21” Model A wheels. Can a T or an A hub be modified to mount A wheels on the T spindle. At the rear, I’d probably use an A rear end, so no problems mounting the A rear wheels and would just do rear brakes...no front brakes as it is a T. Seems like it would be a common low buck wire wheel solution that isn’t very common!
    Anyone?

patmanta likes this.
  2. Old time rodders sometimes drilled T hubs to fit A wheels, but it was very iffy. Not much meat.

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

If it is going to be street driven check your state law about the brakes. As far as I know all states require front and rear brakes.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I could swear that there is a set of aftermarket hubs made to mount the early A wheels onto the T spindles, since the original T wire wheels and hubs are so hard to find.

If it's going to be T powered, no need for wheel brakes, they have a brake band in the transmission.

5. You could always spend a few bucks and do it this way....
    [​IMG]
    Price: $675.00 set at Lang's.

out plowing likes this.
  6. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

1926 and 27 Model T's had wire wheels although the bolt pattern is different than the A.

7. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I agree that you should check before wasting your time... but here in califunny you are not required to have anything that did not come stock. So... no front brakes, no bumpers, no windshield, no right side tail light, no stop light, etc...

Sledsel and chessterd5 like this.
  8. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

All the T part suppliers carry the T to A wheel adapters. Most are built for adapting the 6 on 5” wood wheel hubs to A wheels, but the 5 to 5 adapters are available too. T wheels have been bringing in $1500 a set for years, while A wheels are a dime a dozen.

I’ve known several people who run A wheels on their T’s, and they all switch em out the first chance they get. Available... yes, good lookin... no! The centers are too heavy lookin for a T... especially a speedster. Try some Buffalo’s on for size:D

A7E89168-0866-4650-8B0D-38B7FD9CB6D6.jpeg

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice car Kevin! Can we see some side shots, great looking body. Looks like a nice period correct 1923-27 T. I gave up on collecting a set of Buffalo's, that one hub at a time would take a lifetime, best thing is to take out a loan and buy a good set.:rolleyes:

Bob

10. A Boner

A Boner

Attention ROTTEN LEONARD...here is a wheel adapter project for you. Seems like it would be right in your wheelhouse!

11. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I hear ya! I searched for a couple years and only found parts that belonged in the trash... That’s why I started making em;)

rusty valley likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I didn't know you made the lock ring wheels. I saw a photo of the hubs in production, that would be an interesting video to watch. Bob

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

It's a neat idea, but it might be easier to stay low buck by finding a complete A front end setup. You can flip that T front crossmember, box it and add a suicide perch to grab the A spring and probably 8" drop vs where it was. I did something along those lines on a project car I have waiting in the wings but I used a flat crossmember with a complete 34 front and rear end (not pictured). I put a perch off the rear crossmember too and picked up some drop there also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rusty valley likes this.
  14. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

My racer has original wheels on it... but have made several sets of lock ring wheels in various diameters (19”, 20”, 21”)
    3471E91E-6B21-4034-8E2A-880BE89BE6A7.jpeg

out plowing, rod1, 2NDCHANCE and 2 others like this.
  15. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Do you build to sell?

16. dwollam

dwollam

One of my friends has 21" A wheels on his 27 T. If I remember correctly he threaded the spindle farther in and cut off the excess. Used A hubs on front. Did something different on rears. T outer bearings thread on, A's slip on. Outer diameter is the same. I'll ask him tomorrow to find out for sure.

Dave

17. dwollam

dwollam

Okay, I talked to Jim tonight about the A wheels on his '27T. He turned the outer ends of the T spindles, on a lathe, farther in and used Model A bearings. T spindles are longer, he cut the excess off. Slip on bearings then instead of thread on like Model T. On the rear he bought adapters from T wood spoke hubs to Model A wire wheels. He thought it would be possible to make a plate or redrill the T hubs. Hope this helps.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

19. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I agree with the comments that I've read here. I want to build a speedster and I wanted to go a cheaply as possible (retirement project). T or A , it did not matter. Last fall I was given a free 1930 Model A fordor minus the body past the cowl. We got it running now I'm slowly gathering the parts that I need. The Model A wheels are fine with me. Their not as cool as some others. Buffalo wires are really expensive. Good luck with your project. Gary

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  20. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Here are a couple pictures of it so far, I also have a really nice hood. We leaned the windshiel back 20 degrees. I wanted to keep the fold out windshield feature. Had to drop the column to get it away from the windshield. a-1.jpg a-3.jpg a-2.jpg

chessterd5 and patmanta like this.
  21. A little spendy when you buy them in a set. But acquiring one wheel here, one wheel there, makes the price come down considerably. I have two red, 1 black, and 1 yellow wheel on my T. 1615515272643.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta and Cosmo50 like this.
  22. S1B

S1B

Old thread……
    Kevin you make Buffalo wheels?

out plowing likes this.
  23. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I’ve been known to produce on occasion... but always willing to help another wire wheel nut get rolling!
    081ECFD4-C20B-4818-9406-7FE3C12B54F6.jpeg

rod1 and The37Kid like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never put two and two together, glad to know you are the Buffalo wheel guy. Had a full set with 20 inch lock rings about 45 years ago, sure would like another set. Bob