Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Gillig Chevy Bus

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Kris C Blake, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Kris C Blake

Kris C Blake

I was shopping for a late model Ford truck. A friend sent me a Facebook link to a '36 bus. (Makes sense)
    Within 10 minutes I had a deal worked out and requested Uship bids for transport. I was told that it was a runner but you know how that goes :)

I had the bad tires replaced, pulled non-original inline 270 (crack in head) and started the clean up.
    I addressed a few sheet metal issues and re-did old nasty work done long ago. (Still have to pull the folding door (cancer at bottom)

The photos in the ad showed the beast with an ugly shiny black paint. When I got it there was rust all over and it looked too ratty for my taste. The ad photos were taken years prior to the ad!
    I sanded it and gave her a new ugly shiny black paint job ($47)
    I replaced the steering wheel and vacuumed all the dirt out.
    I bought a fresh inline 250 and installed new clutch before slapping the Spicer tranny on.

Put in a new starter and alternator on. I ordered beefy wiring. Just have to figure out a top pulley that will align with the new alternator and harmonic balancer before putting her back in.

I am gonna replace the radiator with an aluminum one since the grille is off. Replacing all the glass and going to fab some original style bench seating with leg shackles of course.
    I am going with the County Jail theme from my town, Riverside, CA.

I am told that this bus was owned by Burbank Studios since 1935. It has been in numerous movies.

I will be using this to transport antique motorcycles and tow cool crap to shows.

Thank you for enjoying :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

3. Kris C Blake

Kris C Blake

Thanks

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Old, funky, different, I like it and expect to see it roll into Tuxies next month.

5. williebill

williebill

That's cool as Hell. Like it.

6. Kris C Blake

Kris C Blake

7. Wow........The Chevy emblem on the hood side panels ads to the cool factor ....the 36 had a great front end . Also it looks like there are swing out markers (semaphores) on front and back sides to signal turning. Congrats.

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

interesting......

9. I was a student bus driver back in the 60's and I have liked old buses since that time, I drove a 1956 Ford bus pretty much the same size as the one owned by John Force, but not near as cool. HRP

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like fun.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo