Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 chevrolet 4 door master - steel or wood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

so i have spent quite a while searching and emailing for help to restore my 34, leaving the body as is but wanting to either find wood or help on how to fab up the steel. just some pointers since the body is saggin down doors wont close.. all that. id prefer to do steel but i guess i dont know where to start. all i know is that i want the doors to close. when people deforest these cars do they re manufacture how the wood structure would have been? do they tie into the frame with the steel or build it separate from it? i guess just reaching out to those who have goofed with the wood to learn some pointers.

2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craig b blue, VANDENPLAS and TFoch like this.
  3. Most of us would like to be able to pull the body off the frame so we just replace the wood with steel. There are a lot of ways to go about it. Easiest is to use square or rectangular tubing.

TFoch and Jim Lato like this.
  4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ok that does help. Yesterday I pulled motor front end and all that. So should I brace it or remove the rest of the doors? What’s the safest way to lift it off without wrecking things? I’ll roll it into the barn and use the chain hoist to remove body. Just can’t picture how to use the 1x1 tube steel within the body or for mounting the doors correctly.

5. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Pork, would you happen to have photos so I can see it first hand to get an idea on how to start with the steel?

6. I got nuthin on my computer. let me search and see if someone has posted something.

7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I spent a hand full of hours looking and trying different key words. Or dead end forums with no progress reports.

8. Gofannon

Gofannon

I steeled out a 36 Chevy truck. The A pillars were quite tricky as they twist along the length. Something to watch for.

9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Thanks fannon, I’ll keep this in mind here

11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Here’s another thing. I’m wondering if this is a 34. What year did they stop doing wood? The vin tag shows body by fisher 138 and 166
    And the tag on the body on the passenger side is fisher. Would this possibly be on the cusp of 1935? I read that some 34’s crossed into a 35 body?

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Cancel that, the body is definitely a 34. 1935 the door handles were on the front side of the door not next to the rear handle for passenger. Man if I could just get the wood for the body to sit on, I could probably have the Mennonites around here recreate the rest. I just don’t have the tools to make the steel. I got plasma and welders but some of this I need to manipulate a lot of the steel to recreate what was once there

16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Doesn’t help that I recently broke my femur so I can’t get into my project long...

17. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I've been wanting to replace all the wood in my '34 Chevrolet 4-door master. I have the wherewithal to do wood but I haven't seen any plans for it. I can work with wood, I'm afraid I don't know squat about metal:eek:.

Jim Lato likes this.
  18. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I like wood
    IMG_20200113_095325325.jpg

Jim Lato likes this.
  19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Where you from? Let’s take the plunge. Lol I been trying to remove the wood as careful as I can so far

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

You got a lot of wood there lol

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

The pieces the body sit on are a big one I need. Wanna trace them and mail me?! Lol

22. It would depend on what your skill levels are. There are companies the make wood replacement kits but they are not cheap. If you are better with wood and have those tools, then use the old wood as templates and replace it. If your skill set is better with steel the go for that. That being said, there are no "blue prints" on how to do it with metal. I replaced the wood in my 33 Chevy with steel. My Dad was a big help having worked with sheet metal all his life. We used some of the old wood for patterns and fabricated replacements. Some was done with square tubing as @porknbeaner said. Here are a couple pics and a link to my build thread on another site.
    http://rustybowtie.com/index.php?topic=11.0

Final Weld 02.jpg Final Weld 03.jpg Final Weld 04.jpg

tb33anda3rd and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I do steel fab but for this I think I’d need a brake and a shrinker stretcher. So I figured I’d have better luck with the wood but so far I haven’t found a company that has reproduced wood for the 34 four door. So I may have to. Trace and recreate it as good as I can

24. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

What sucks is the front door wood is gone and the body wood on the very bottom is gone. I feel like if I had the bottom pieces to set the body correctly I’d be able to run with it.

25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

How did you bend your tubes??

26. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

You should be able to get them from KC Wood in Willis Va or Classic Wood Products in Greensboro NC

Bigdavid likes this.
  27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Waitin for them to get back to me

28. The large pieces on the bottom are the sills. I had enough of one side left to trace it and make new ones from square tubing. Just needed a band saw and welder to do that. My Dad brought the square tubing to his shop to bend it but you could look at places like Harbor Freight to find a tool to bend square tubing. I didn't use a sheet metal brake on the fabricated pieces. Just cut it and welded it together. You can check out this link about my wood replacement if you want to see some pics.
    http://rustybowtie.com/index.php?topic=158.0

Jim Lato likes this.
  29. I just finished this 34 and there is ZERO wood in it now.
    20200724_092549.jpg You couldn't pay me $500.oo an hour to repeat that job. Yes it's nice now but not worth the agony getting there. It is now being prepped for paint. Never never again. Yes there are lot's of in progress photos on here of it as it went along.

Wurger, Bandit Billy, Blues4U and 2 others like this.