Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Let's see some panel trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mgtstumpy, Mar 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

2. scotts52

scotts52

Is it just me or did panel trucks get shorter over the decades? Some of those from the 30s and 40s look quite long.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-1_8-56-19.png

Hello,

When the pandemic was not around in early 2020, that was the last time we drove into the heart of this central OC community. We drove past this old restaurant many times and each time something new popped up on different days. On the weekends, it is packed with Sunday afternoons, blasting great live music out of the multiple doors and connecting outdoor dining area.
    upload_2021-3-23_4-41-16.png
    But, since the parking lot is on First Street around to the side of the building, there lies a throwback to the good old days of cool trucks for businesses. A faded yellow 1962 Chevy Panel Truck shows it wear and tear duty, as a draw, to those that cruise by the vast parking lot headed East or West.
    upload_2021-3-23_4-42-40.png
    The Yellow paint has seen its days and the fabulous hand painted advertisement on the rear panel truck doors was fading as we went to investigate. We had seen the Chevy Panel Truck countless times, but never close up and personal. One day, we took our granddaughter to lunch at the restaurant and the food was quite good. The menu is varied and the venue is quite large, with separate dining areas for different décor and themes.

To say this place would be difficult to have a nice quiet lunch or dinner would be truthful. Despite the different areas for diners, the whole place is an entertaining restaurant and the noise was quite loud. We did find a section that was relatively empty and at least we could carry on a quiet conversation. But it was prior to the onslaught of the noon time diners. We finished before the onslaught and were out on the parking lot looking at the panel truck.

Jnaki

It is a shame that such a cool Chevy Panel Truck has seen its days, but at least, it still catches the eye of the discerning hot rod guy to stop and see what is going on in that parking lot.

Hopefully, a full restoration will be good for business and after the pandemic is over, will continue to draw customers into the cool restaurant.

Past post:

upload_2021-3-23_4-44-48.png
    The United Auto Building was built from 1922-24 and sold Haynes and Oldsmobile automobiles, originally. In the 1930’s the building housed P&L Motors, a Hudson dealership. There was a succession of dealerships until the mid-1970s. The building remained vacant until is conversion into the Original Mike’s Restaurant in 2002.
    upload_2021-3-23_4-45-39.png DISCLAIMER: These Cool Roadside Attractions are to keep the spirits up in this trying time period of history. It is not advocating traveling to these spots until the whole epidemic is over and then it is safe to travel. Even though some states are deciding that opening up various things is the way to go, once the cases are up, they will go back to the "locked in place" rule to keep the pandemic at bay. These roadside attractions are to see what is ready for your next road trip, whether it is long or short, once the pandemic is over. So stay inside, stay safe and isolate.

Hello,

Going to downtown SANTA ANA is for specific purposes for most people. The main ORANGE COUNTY BRANCH COURTHOUSE is located there. But, the area has history built in since it was one of the oldest communities in all of Orange County. It is called the seat of Orange County, if that is a good label. The good thing about the city government staff is that they are all for preserving old buildings for modern day usage. If a multi level building has some historic significance, it is discounted to a buyer if they will rebuild to modern standards and use it as it stands.

A Sunday cruise will showcase plenty of refurbished buildings now used as schools, from elementary to the Performing Arts High School and new office buildings that look 50 years old. Ever go to a high school in several, multi-story, ex-business office building converted to modern earthquake specs for safety?

Every time we drove down Main St. in Santa Ana, we saw this fabulous looking place and that neat old, bright Yellow, Chevy Panel truck in the corner of the lot. Having stopped at the corner light many times, that Yellow Chevy panel truck sticks out like a sore thumb. Most people in Orange County have crossed this intersection in Santa Ana while attending the jury trials and service located in the area.

Within a few blocks of this 1st and Main Street location, the Civic Center, the central government of Orange County is located in its own buildings. The Civic Center also houses the central location of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
    View attachment 5015320
    The first thing most see will be the parking lot corner with the bright yellow, custom Chevrolet panel truck. It is a obvious contrast with the red brick building and the bright yellow panel truck sitting on the corner space.

While driving around looking for the Santa Ana Courthouse Sheriff’s Center, we came across this 62 Chevy Panel Truck that has been the advertising display for Original Mike’s Restaurant and Concert Venue. For as long as we have been cruising around Santa Ana and the famous downtown area, this Chevy panel truck has been around. The paint is showing signs of daily outside weather wear, but the design on the flames around the license plate was pretty neat.
    upload_2021-3-23_4-47-38.png
    The front fenders received fine line, pinstriping flames with a slight shading inside of the flames. The wheels are another story. At one time, this Chevy was probably the delivery truck for the restaurant. But, if anyone has been to this place for the hot rod events, they have probably seen this yellow truck sitting in the corner of the parking lot. Drivers can’t help but to have their eye sight see this bright yellow truck while cruising down 1st Street.

“Original Mike’s resides in what was Santa Ana’s first Buick Horseless Carriage Auto Dealership, built in 1919. 100 South Main Street was, and still is, the heart and soul of Orange County. Renovated after being abandoned for over twenty years, Orange County developer, Mike Harrah, completely restored this historic location into what you see today. This 15,000 square foot entertainment center house several rare antique cars, including the original Santa Ana Fire Truck No. 1.”

“Throughout the main dining room are rare vintage photos of the downtown Santa Ana area. Bricks from the adjacent building dating back to the 1920’s were recycled to create the huge outdoor patio, the Palm Court Oasis.”

There are three separate divided entertainment areas, 4 including the outdoor patio complex. Dance floors are in each area. During the lunch hour, each area is providing their own music and entertainment, coordinating with the kitchen for a great lunch menu.

When we finally stopped for a nice lunch, we were not prepared for the massive interior. We were given the choice of sitting outside in the patio area, or one of three entertainment areas inside. The food was outstanding and the service was fast and efficient. That is how any restaurant should be. We sat in one of the large dining areas for lunch. The crowd was light and fairly quiet. But then the door was opened and the music from outdoors and another room were muffled but noticeable.

Despite being inside of the building and near the original outdoor venue, the music did not overlap if the windows/doors were closed.

So, with the “cruiser” cars sitting in the outdoor parking lot, there were two out of three concert venues playing at the same time, while we were all eating fabulous food. This is a cool place to go, but bring your earplugs if you are sensitive to loud sounds. The conversation level was raised at least two levels from normal.

Overall, the venue was pretty eye opening and that yellow 1962 Chevy Panel Truck with the faded flame paint job was sitting quietly in the corner spot of the huge parking lot. It was welcoming patrons of fine food and music to this place. Sundays are a busy time in Santa Ana! (The OC)

Jnaki

Sunday’s in Santa Ana is a show in itself as families and sightseers are all over the place, especially near the 4th Street refurbished downtown area, just a couple of blocks North of this restaurant.

What about the cool looking, attention drawing panel truck?
    upload_2021-3-23_4-48-55.png
    This poor truck has seen its glory days. It is relegated to customer service in an outdoor setting. Rain, shine, hail, fog, winds…The famous Santana winds blow right through this section of the OC with a fury. But, it sits gently awaiting a guy with a camera taking some photos for past memories. Hopefully urging anyone to go inside for a great meal and perhaps some entertainment.

It would take some time, but the truck is in need of an overhaul to make it as good as new, again. It definitely needs some other wheels…Moon Discs perhaps? Or deep dish chrome rims with smoothie mini hubcaps?

SAVE THE 1962 Chevy PANEL TRUCK !!!

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. Maybe I should have used the money I spent on the new engine, to buy a more comfortable couch;)

54 ford coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. ...here's a pair of IH panels I bought at an auction years ago,,.. sold one and traded one for a 55 Chevy pickup project truck...
    IH panels 005.jpg IH panels 006.jpg

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

7. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

My '53 Dodge was bought new by the Carnation Company. I bought it in '74 from the guy who picked it up at the factory. 53 Dodge-1974.jpg

Still have it in 2021
    53 Dodge-18.jpg

clem, Lil32, exterminator and 5 others like this.
  8. Fordors

Fordors

EBB8A745-47A7-4760-928B-91F864132078.jpeg

Owned by a Joliet, IL plumbing outfit, I imagine it was bought new and they had it restored.

bobss396, Lil32, Jalopy Joker and 3 others like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-29_3-44-15.png

Hello,

My wife spotted this bright yellow and blue panel delivery from several blocks away. It stood out, not only for its bright color scheme, but something was sticking out of the side of the rear panel that was most unusual. Unusual to the fact that it is one of 4 still in the USA.
    upload_2021-3-29_3-45-47.png
    Its official name is : 1937 Chevy Canopy Express in yellow/ blue

Jnaki

It is rare, but fully functional as a driver all over So Cal. The information I got was that it was once used, like all of them, as a street side delivery service for fruits and vegetables. The panel truck would pull up to a community and roll up the side awnings to show its wares. Then the neighbors would come out to purchase, usually, the freshest fruits and vegetables.
    upload_2021-3-29_3-52-6.png
    It sounds like a different version of a Helms Bakery Truck. Except the Helms Bakery Truck in our neighborhood had that awning over the two rear doors. Whereas, the side panels were still solid steel as panel trucks are built.

In our Westside of Long Beach neighborhood, there was one that was very familiar. A vendor would drive this unusual truck that had a side opening to showcase his fresh fish, sitting on beds of ice. My mom was a stickler for fresh fish and if her favorite neighborhood store was out of a certain kind, then this street vendor came around once a week.
    upload_2021-3-29_4-5-19.png
    He would go to the local Terminal Island docks and get fish from the fishing fleet that just came back to the harbor. Within an hour or so, he would deliver it to our Westside neighborhood that was within several miles from the source.
    upload_2021-3-29_4-6-22.png

The street vendor has some kind of side panel that he put up from the inside as he drove away when he was finished for the day. His awning was just pulled down and secured, if he was just going down the street to another close by location.
    upload_2021-3-29_4-3-11.png
    All photos from the web, except for the local So Cal yellow/blue panel truck...

10. That one has the accessory wheels- NICE!!!

11. Caprice89

Caprice89

Please explain.

Sent from my online shouting device

12. GM made larger diameter wheels (can't remember if they are 17 1/2 or 18 inches) as an option for their 1 ton trucks, and that '64-'66 1 ton panel has them

bobss396, Caprice89 and Fordors like this.
  13. I've also seen pics of those as flower trucks. I've seen that one by Rainbow.....seems like it would be hard to lock up at night :).

jnaki likes this.
  14. hrdtlrdr

hrdtlrdr

1 have 2 1939 ford panel projects for sale. in middle of va. p m me.

15. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Image (3).jpg

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a couple of kiwi ones.The Chevy belong to my good buddy Murray from the shed panel shop who has saved many of our cars.
    5B00A258-2A9D-4783-BB8A-92F6AAA06CF3.jpeg E6942CE0-CC3F-489F-9782-13B0B5A95BA3.jpeg

1940Willys, Joe Blow, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. scotts52

scotts52

Oh man! I wish you were closer. I would absolutely love a 39 panel. I love 38/39 Ford trucks

19. Caprice89

Caprice89

Thanks. Every day, one learns.

Sent from my online shouting device

20. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

Fleet picture from the dairy in the town I grew up near. Still live in the area.

[​IMG]

21. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Here are 2 1929 Panel trucks that I own and plan to Build. I also have a 1931 that was hot rodded in 1970 that I am currently making my daily driver. When it comes to Panel trucks, You either Love them or Hate them! And even though I have roadsters, Coupes, pickups. My 31 Panel is probably my Favorite.

Attached Files:

eldiablooxidado and bowie like this.
  22. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

My 1948 Dodge, with wrong grille. Nice shop truck. swap meet hauler. Very reliable just nothing fancy Don't hate me but its got a 350/350/10bolt.

Attached Files:

23. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

A jig saw puzzle I own FD682D93-EA95-46DF-B3A0-9720A2ACA017.jpeg

Attached Files:

akoutlaw and eldiablooxidado like this.
  24. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

25. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

26. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

27. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

28. atch

atch

I believe this is a 1941 3/4 ton or 1 ton front end.

3/4 ton pix

1 ton pix

But; as always, I could be wrong. If I am don't complain. My information is worth almost as much as you paid for it.