Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Movie of the Week: The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Movie of the Week: The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. topher5150

topher5150

Judging by the title of the movie it sounds like it would be a good candidate for Mystery Science Theater 3000

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

As a kid growing up , our local Sat. morning movie guy Tom Hatten, would show this twice a year and I watched it every single time. Fast forward about a thousand years and got to work with Ivo on the 4-engine re-pop, the Movie came up numerous times in conversations--- each time-- Ivo gave me that look as it was not one of his favorites to work on. One thing he did mention was that it only took 10 days to shoot. What endeared me to the movie was basically the first time I saw a dragster and that stuck with me like forever. what came about full circle was another IVO car project my my friend Don "WAVEMAKER" Preito with the re-pop of that very same dragster which entailed doing a lot of the fabrication on the Fuller built frame and the body upload_2021-4-1_8-18-30.png

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I wanted to bring all that actors back for a photo shoot re-enacting the scene with them around the car. but it became too involved at the time to pull it off upload_2021-4-1_8-19-17.png

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The original "key" push-bar and the re-pop. flat spot on the bottom was from the car doing wheelstands so I had to grind the flat in the new one and drag it on the pavement after the chrome. Sadly, the original car was lost in a flash flood in Colorado and was never seen again. Its the only piece left
    upload_2021-4-1_8-29-0.png

6. Matthew Greenwell

Matthew Greenwell
    from Poole, UK

I've had Hot Rod Gang / Hot Rod Girl in my DVD collection for a few years now, but I've never seen this one. Going to check it out tonight, when I come in from the garage.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. LuckyJay

LuckyJay

Yes!!! I just saw this for the first time a week ago on Amazon, highly suggest! I also watched Hot Rod Gang and it seems like the same actors, maybe a brat pack type thing. I love the nerdy guy talking about his wild ideas, but there is a part in this movie that got me, as in nothing has changed. The dad is freaking out because his daughter is a hot rodder, his friend calms him by saying "we didn't grow up in the same world as these kids, we didn't have 375 hp engines to worry about, the world is so messed up these kids don't even know if there will be a tomorrow" I hope every "millennial" watches this and realizes that every generation of kids goes through the same overall experiences!

Also this movie made me understand that Scooby Doo cartoons are poking fun at 50s movies, then ending of this is just like one!

DuaneBallard and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ver-in-rodders-journal.1203814/#post-13731115

upload_2021-4-1_8-47-5.png
    Hello,
    Thanks to @dreracecar I was able to finally identify the white 4 cylinder FED in the Tommy Ivo movie. We had seen the movie and then one Saturday, we saw the same exact FED car at Lions Dragstrip. The name of the 4 cylinder FED (owner/driver) in the garage scene of "The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow" with Tommy Ivo's other cars was always in our minds

Kent Baber at Lions Dragstrip

Tommy Ivo was a regular at Lions Dragstrip for as long as my brother and I were there every weekend. His red single engine Buick FED was always the hit of the day, as it made some very quick runs. For everyone, it was a fabulous show car that won a lot of races. The build was immaculate and the action was exciting.

Tommy Ivo single Buick FED at Lions Dragstrip

Jnaki

Back in those early days, we were glad to have filmed some of these early pioneers in drag racing. It got our hearts pumping to do something with our teenage hot rods... It was an exciting time, as we lived close by, and we learned a lot talking to those that showed up every weekend at Lions Dragstrip.

It was fortunate that the movie helped to get our drag racing involvement going. We had the only 16mm color movies of Lions Dragstrip from that early time period of 1958-60. It was one adventure watching the progression of the original Tommy Ivo single engine Buick FED go from black, carbs, to injectors, a few episodes with a 671 supercharger, and finally ending up with the twin Buick injected motors for his record setting days and races.

P.S. There is another home movie from the same time period 1959-60, shot in 8mm film and it too is historic.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend and I saw it at the theater when it hit town. The thing I remember most, was one of the cars had a large diameter air cleaner (4 barrel),I think it was the one a girl was driving. I was used to seeing multiple carbs, and small air cleaners.

10. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I watched this on my phone cuddled up by the firepit one cool evening last summer.
    She enjoyed the movie as much as I did.

Jungle Jalopy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

37slantback likes this.
  12. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

13. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

"Geronimo" was by Nick Venet who signed the Beach Boys to Capitol records and produced their early stuff.

"I promise you" is by Bruce Johnston would later fill in for Brian Wilson on tours and would eventually become a full-member Beach Boy.

14. HA! Got static in the attic.....classic

15. The opening few minutes reminds me of when I courted my gal by running her off the road, rear ending her and then chasing her through a drainage ditch. Ah, the memories...

Been a few years since I've watched this. Goofy movie, but good fun.