Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Drag Week 2021

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 30, 2021.

1. squirrel

squirrel

2. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Would like to spectate this event this year. I retired (again) and the wife's last day is wednesday.

fauj, NeoSmith, Rex Jolles and 2 others like this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What car are you taking this year Jim? I've always been partial to the 62 Chevy II (at least wise it has a 62 grille in it). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. I’d like to see the big Hemi make another appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dino 64, loudbang, Hemi Joel and 3 others like this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That looks like a tough route.

Gizzy and loudbang like this.
  6. I need to see a map with all the stops on it to visualize the route, I can't figure out how to add multiple stops in map quest...damnit

Edit : I figured it out

Screenshot_20210331-002526_Maps.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    oldiron 440, Dino 64, fauj and 4 others like this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

loudbang likes this.
  8. Its all rough. There are no easy days.

9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Where do you sign up at, I cant find it. I wasn't signed up last year so not sure when sign up is. Anyone have a link or a date when registration is?

Thanks Tony

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

They haven't announced when registration is, yet. They are going to first let the 400 folks who signed up last year, sign up this year. Then probably a week later, open it for everyone else, and there will be 500 folks trying to get the last 137 spots that folks didn't sign up for, and it will be over in 1 minute and 48 seconds. Then when the event actually happens, there will be 92 people who are registered, but don't show up. The other 63 folks who do show up, without being pre registered, will hang out all day, then at the end of registration day, they'll be called up to get in line, and will all get to register.

But this imaginary scenario is make-believe...it's a fantasy based on what's happened the past five years or so.

It should be interesting.

I might get the Barracuda going, or I might not. There's a lot going on here. We moved the end of last year, not too far, but to a smaller place. I got rid of a lot of stuff, and don't have a place to do body/paint work any longer. I have to finish fixing up the old house, and sell it. And my mom has moved in with us, because she needs care, which makes traveling difficult, so I don't know if I'll be able to go, or not. It's a lot to put on my wife.

fauj, -Brent-, vtx1800 and 19 others like this.
  11. That is certainly good news. I really missed not having Drag Week last year. Squirrel, I hope your situation improves to the point where you can go. It would not be the same without your smiling face in attendance!

And as a P.S. I hope you get the Barracuda going!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I'm sure it was battle for the Drag Week staff to pull this together considering the pandemic stuff, but they finally got it done! For me, the midwest is the perfect region for Drag Week and these are awesome tracks! I have never raced at Byron before, so I'll be able to add a new track on my list. I just hope they route us far, far away from Chicago! I have my room booked already, now I need to get busy and put my car back together. HemiSqurirrel, I hope you can make it.

egads and loudbang like this.
  13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

RacerX, you have a balancing act. Thrash it enuff to dial it in and sort out any issues prior to DW, but not so much that it is broke on September 10!

fauj, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  14. brianf31

brianf31

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  15. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Drag week lets X number of guys register, then puts their cars into classes, so there's not really a cap on the class, but a cap on total registration.

brianf31, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That is correct.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

@squirrel priorities first. As much as we like to follow you in this, I know how it is. My mom will be 84, and between working 40-50 hours on a night shift, I still need to tend to her.
    No way I could be gone for a few days, heck a week would be an eternity.

fauj, seb fontana, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. brianf31

brianf31

Ah, OK. That would stink to build a car to the rules and never get a chance to run because you have slow internet.

If they are turning participants away, it seems there's a market that allows growth. Regionals!

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  19. I'll be at the Indy stop :D i know all of you wanna hang out with me ;)

20. squirrel

squirrel

They cut off preregistration at 400. They never had 400 cars show up.

Sent from my Trimline

sidevalve8ba and loudbang like this.
  21. they dont regulate classes. all 400 cars could enter the same class if they fit the rules for it. some classes naturally have more cars than others do to having popular cars. a example would be daily driver the biggest class with around 75-100 cars. for those who have never seen a spectacle as wild as this we encourage you to come out and watch. you will leave with a very different idea of what a fast street car is for sure. its hard to imagine these cars driving a thousand miles in five days on public roads running the times they do. it is always entertaining. there are even groupies that follow us for the whole week. its not uncommon to have participants from all over the world. they ship their cars here. if you cant make it in person there is always the free live feed. the hamb guys are good at updating everyone with whats going on day to day here. there is no predicting what will happen. something always does. we always come back with stories. go team hamb go.

grapeboy, dirty old man, Tman and 7 others like this.
  22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sounds like it could be a great 66th birthday weekend for me . My birthday is the 17th and my plans are to go up to Rock Falls for Fall out drags the 17th and 18th. But Byron is a 2 hour drive for me ,so I could go down there to spectate the 16th!:):) This semi retirement gig is working out great! lol Larry

23. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am participating in a local drive and race event this weekend. I built an off topic vehicle to enter in Hot Drag Week last year but of course it was canceled. I may enter as a stand by this year. The Rocky Mountain Drag Week 2.0 is a good alternative for me. It would be difficult to do both as they are nearly at the same time.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Hope you are able to make it but I can relate to taking care of a loved one. My 93 year old Mom lives with one of my sisters, I stayed there for a week to let my sister and BIL have a vacation with their kids, I thought I knew how much my sister did but have an even greater awareness now. We have a limited amount of time with our loved ones, spend
    it wisely.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  25. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It looks like you could do Hot Rod Drag Week. Take a day to travel to Noble, Oklahoma from Michigan and then do Rocky Mountain Race Week 2.0. It would take more of a man than me.

26. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Not trying to hijack this thread...Power Tour is back on too.

brianf31 and loudbang like this.
  27. Registration has begun for drag week 2021. Anyone that registered and got in the 2020 race that got canceled was notified yesterday. They have one week to get registered again. Anyone that did not make the cut off last year or wants to get in now they will be able to do that next week. Good luck we are all counting on you. Several hamb members are registered now myself included. Go team hamb.

WTF really, Tickety Boo, Tman and 4 others like this.
  28. I got way too much work done without the Drag Week live feed this year. Can't wait to return to proper slacking off that week.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looking forward to pics and pro online coverage

loudbang likes this.
  30. You could run the big block t bird Jim :D

chryslerfan55 likes this.