Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using old stock replacement parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 31, 2021.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I had a brake light switch failure on my 59 chevy truck yesterday. It stuck "on", which is kind of strange for these. It's the lever type switch, and I've replaced it a few times over the 44 years I've had the truck. This was an old stock Standard Motor Products SLS-43 switch. The failure was apparently due to lack of lubrication...the shaft seized in the housing, and then broke apart as I removed the switch.

The new replacement got a drop of oil on the shaft...I guess the one that failed, might have been lubricated when it was made a long time ago, but that went away.

Old parts are neat, but you gotta remember their limitations.

switch.jpg

2. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Do you think that the new one is a product of the USA

3. EVERY car on the road is working just fine with used parts ;)

Pist-n-Broke, fauj and SPEC like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19Eddy30 likes this.

5. SPEC

SPEC

Old parts are better than parts from china!

19Eddy30 and Brand Apart like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

that is incredibly clean for an old broken part exposed to the elements. Being in AZ, you may not be aware that that part would have looked like it was brought up from a ship wreck on a deep sea dive here in the swamp. yeah, oil is a good thing too

bchctybob, Hollywood-East and Hnstray like this.
  7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey squirrel , I've been daily driving my 56 pick up for 9 years now...I have broken 4 of those switches in exactly the same way . The original switch that was on it lasted the longest , the others came from NAPA the one on it now is an NOS one. we will see how long it last's.

bchctybob likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some NOS boxes are worth more than the parts that were in them.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

On a more realistic thought, many times the original would have had an oilite, or bronze bushing on the shaft, and a NORS part may not have that. I like to buy old NOS, if you can find it, and NORS stuff off ebay. Quite often its a good price, but just because it was made in the 50's or 60's does not mean its the same quality of the OEM part