Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects After a long long search I have purchased a 1932 three window Ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

So you now have a clean and I do mean clean, slate to work with. Seems like the seller is like me, once you pay me, it’s yours.
    Never understood why someone would sell something with a condition put on it. Now if it was given to someone with an understanding/condition, that I could get onboard with.
    Have fun, it’s yours now.

loudbang, 210superair and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Damn, a guy has a dream and a bunch of seagulls come by and try to shit on it.

@indianapolisracer I'm thrilled for you. I understand what it's like to have a long-time dream. Hell, if I could've started with a brand new Model A to modify, I would have! It makes a difference in a million little ways.

3. glrbird

glrbird

Your money, your time. If that’s what you want it’s your decision to make. No historical value, or hot rod history, go for it!

loudbang and Nostrebor like this.
  4. Dennis34

Dennis34

Its your car do what you want and makes you happy

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  5. Thats a real nice car. Hope it is as good under the paint. I don't care what you do to it.

-Brent-, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. I guess like cars, everyone has their personal views on life... What works out, what doesen’t.... The “ifs and whys” of it....

Since you asked....

- I think you had a picture in your head and were looking for a long time to turn that “picture” into a reality....

- Along the same time frame.... An 87 year old man who clearly loved his car, and was evidently ok with the idea of a motor swap when he owned it.... Was finally ready to let go of the car he loved...

- Then both paths crossed.... I just think whether it’s “Khama”, “energy”, “coincidence”... Whatever you want to call it... Things that are meant to be sometimes just line up and work out...

I do think regardless of some of the specifics, the main thing both you and the previous owner both hold the most important is that the car will continue to be loved, well cared for, and appreciated and enjoyed...

Sounds like the cars in great hands whatever you decide... And the fact that you’re asking for input, taking your time making a decision, collecting all those time period parts.... Indicates you’ll be a great steward and make mindful decisions that just add enjoyment to owning the car for you and the next lucky owner one day....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

i.rant likes this.
  7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 pages of opinions when only one counts, the OP's. So have you chopped it yet? :)

8. ol48

ol48

There nice the way thy are

loudbang likes this.
  9. 4ever18

4ever18

2467BB78-8AC5-472E-9CA1-29DB268E4DC3.jpeg D9927B76-7BAA-43C4-8E15-EA1DBA56BFD3.jpeg 523A69CE-84A3-4D1B-BDE7-656166B78167.jpeg 599382AF-7D98-4DD1-A409-CD29B72C8C19.jpeg Congratulations, sir. I’ve faced a similar situation with my ‘33 3 window. The previous owner owned the car for 49 years, but failing health brought him to the decision to pass his car along to its next caretaker. Through our talks, he confided his temptation to swap out the 59AB flathead in favor of a SBC. When I bought the car, he asked “just don’t chop the top”. I assured him that chopping the top couldn’t be further from my mind. In fact, I’m planning to “live with” the flathead... But, I’m seriously considering swapping out the original trans & rear in favor of a modern 5 speed & a 9” Ford differential.

I’ve already converted to 12 volt, negative ground electrical system, swapped in a 5” dropped tube axle, and new rolling stock.

Remember, most of the changes that both of us are considering for our cars are just bolts & screws.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Hamtown Al, 34Larry, 40FORDPU and 5 others like this.
  10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

That is a beautiful start for a cool hot rod build.
    Yes, it is desirable and a 'holy grail' for many, but. . . . YOU bought it, YOU have been dreaming and saving parts for years to build THIS car, just do it. You have the 5 window and others to cruise while you are tinkering in the shop with your new toy.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Life is short! Do what makes you happy. Have fun
    and “go man go”

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

30tudor and loudbang like this.
  12. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I too purchased a fairly stock "32" with an original floor. Turned it into a hot rod without cutting it up. So you can have your cake and eat it too.
    [​IMG] [AT IMG_20200927_143452.jpg TACH=full]5022097[/ATTACH]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  13. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Nice lookin 34’ three window

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  14. 34Larry

34Larry

My advise, which along with everyone else chiming in here is just worthless, because your going to do with the car what is in your mind is the way it should be, and that my friend is the right and only way to go with it. Keep it like it is, or cut it up and make it the way you want it. Remember this though, they are only original once, (if being original means anything to you.)
    Guys on this forum can be pretty brutal ( and they really were with me when I posted my '34 for the first time in............I think it was '17). That kinda hurt because I wanted everyone to see my car as I saw it AND I found out pretty damned fast it was not considered "triditional" and what triditional is and means to the HAMB crowd. I found out fast that what others think of someone's cherished work and ride doesn't amount to much in alot of cases.
    Now my Avatar is what I created from a full fendered real famous '34 from the 50's/60's, not knowing that the car was that famous and it was one that I myself knew and admired to the max. It had become a disaster in the years and I have always thought the hi-boy look of the '33, '34 was killer, so I went that way. After learning of the history of the car, quite by accident BTW, I was dumbfounded and really thought long and hard about what I had done. I won't get into all that because this is your thread, but I will say that after the shock and the deep thought I had no regrets and still do not to this day.

But still yet................if I had the kind of luck in finding the "34 in the pictures above by "4ever18 "
    it would never while I had it see any modifications at all ever.
    In your case, and this just me, not advised for you, I would jerk that OLds, put back a modern rebuild mild built flatty, restore to the absolute maximum, every nut and bolt:).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    R A Wrench likes this.
  15. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I like it

loudbang likes this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

that black '34 is maybe the nicest glass car i have ever seen...
    another buddy darell has one just like it...
    looks like the inherant grandson is trying it on for future fit...

loudbang and 4ever18 like this.
  17. 34Larry

34Larry

sloppy jalopies
    Before calling you out on your opinion (fiberglass), I reviewed your profile page. It appears you have a lot of experience and can teach me something if you will. How do you know fiberglass from steel in a picture? Not putting you down at all, I want to be able to know the difference when I see pic's of 33/34's.
    ( My mind has a terrible bias, one that I try to ignore concerning real steel vs. fiberglass: (If it ain't steel it ain't real ), but I try to ignore that because that is a terrible insult to those who own and love their FB cars, so I apologize profusely for my naughty mind and thinking in this manner.) I have seen many, many very fine FB cars that excel in quality and craftsmanship that I really like, so please don't yell at me over my bias.

That however does not preclude me from wanting to know,
    How do you know fiberglass from steel in a picture?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  18. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Perhaps he is referring to a different car

19. 34Larry

34Larry

I don't think so, solidaxle, as he references " the inherant grandson is trying it on for future fit", in the montage of pictures that, 4ever18 posted of the car.

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

darrell [fore ever 18] and i have been friends for 20 plus years...
    with the glass comment i was pulling his chain... i know that is one nice, well kept steel coupe ....
    haven't heard from him in a while so i slammed the pic of his coupe....
    sorry if i bent anyone out of shape... see y'all... GO D GO !

loudbang, nochop and 4ever18 like this.
  21. 4ever18

4ever18

Sloppy Jalopies, 34Larry, solid axle...

LOL

Mike (Sloppy Jalopies) and I’ve been friends for a very long time and I knew he was teasing. He also knows that the car is a ‘33, with ‘34 hood & grill (the original owner swapped the hood & grill prior to parking the car in 1946).

For the past coupe of years, I’ve been concentrating on the construction business and liquidating surplus car stuff, and preparing for real retirement. I’ve hardly touched either of my cars during the past 2-3 years. I’ve not even attended a local cruise-in, during this time. But, that’s all getting ready to change. The ‘33 3 window will be on the road, shortly. My grandson turns 15, next month. His T Bucket (1918 steel Dodge body) will get daily attention, starting his summer break from school. Between my survivor muscle cars (‘69 Camaro, ‘69 Nova, & ‘67 Nova), the ‘55 & ‘57 Chevys, the earlier mentioned ‘33 & ‘34 Ford’s, my grandson & I will have quite the summer. Nathan, my grandson, also has his father’s Model A coupe (Merc flathead powered), ‘53 Chevy pickup truck, and 90” wheelbase ‘65 Chevy van, & other grandfather’s ‘66 390 Fairlane GT to add to his “car” experience. Sloppy Jalopies has contributed pieces and information to help with the building & maintenance of the Model A coupe as well as various customized Hotwheels cars for Nathan, during the years. Yes, Sloppy Jalopies & I go back several years.

wheeldog57, loudbang and Baumi like this.
  22. 34Larry

34Larry

Go man go, wow !

4ever18 likes this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I have a tendency to stick my foot on the key pad as well

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

D/4ever 18 hooked up with a preacher down south... he told D of a '32 and model T in a NH town...
    D and his late brother loaded up and headed from TN. to NH. ... they found the place, on a riverbank, cars buried to help stop erosion,
    when they got there his bounty was gone... bummed, but a good "brother" trip....
    well he called me on his way home, fewer cell phone towers then,
    he tells me that under an early cabriolet was a '34 ford .............
    lost call......... and he didn't know it, left me in a scrounger's panic !

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You know that if you would have added an emoticon :)D:p) it would have let those of us that had no clue what your post was about, that you were just yanking his chain!

4ever18 likes this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

what is a emoticon ?
    i wouldn't know how to order one...

27. 4ever18

4ever18

loudbang likes this.
  28. 4ever18

4ever18

Sloppy Jalopies, This exact story came to mind, today. I’m glad that you shared it with the group. I hope that others were able to go retrieve some of those treasures.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Emoticons are smily faces or similar faces to add to your posts. At the top of the area where you type out your message there is a number of options to use in your post, including a smily face, click on that and it will give you many different ones you can click and add it to your post.

4ever18 and loudbang like this.
  30. mickeyc

mickeyc

I think I would be quite happy having the 5 window as a hot rod and the three window as it is. The best of both as 32s go.

loudbang likes this.