Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for the Upholstery guys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 31, 2021.

1. I know there is all kinds of material to use when covering doors, there is ABS, plywood, chip board & upholstery panel board, but what do you cover the door with to keep the water from causing damage to the interior when running down inside the door? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. I asked that question very recently of an upholstery guy and his recommendation was door skins from the lumber yard for the panels sealed with varnish or clear urethane before covering.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4. When I was replacing the window regulator on my daughters car, I noticed it had a piece of clear plastic similar to a cheap plastic drop cloth.

It had some type of adhesive holding it in place seems like a good idea when doing the interior on Hot Rods & Customs. HRP

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Old cars all had a thick sheet of plastic stuck to the door with calking. You are always going to have rain water running down the window, be sure the drain holes are open at the bottom of the door, the inside of the door is painted and the door panel sealed off with plastic. New cars with plastic door panels are not so critical.

6. Collision wrap works GREAT! It's adhesive, 4mil thick.

3W JOHN, drdave, Nostrebor and 4 others like this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I just painted both the door an the 1/8 in. plywood panel <before upholstery. But yes a lot of cars came with Vizqueen* type plastic ,as a water seal. 017.JPG

3W JOHN, jimmy six and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use spray adhesive because I have it around for bodywork then heavy plastic sheathing.

9. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

I use automotive strip caulk to hold it in place, it stays where it belongs but comes off easily if you need to work on the window. The plastic usually runs into a slot at the bottom of the door to drain the water out through the door drains.

Lou

10. If it is nice and flat ABS is nice. I always use heavy mil plastic anyway as the vapor battier.

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Post a link to that magic wrap, por favor

12. 3W JOHN, nochop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. https://www.sofasco.biz/collision-a...MI0eab963b7wIVkolbCh36HQgcEAQYDCABEgIwIvD_BwE

I get it at my local paint supply. It's used to seal up a car when they come here with a broken door glass or similar situations. Out in the sun it's not stable for more than a couple of months, but behind a door panel it'll last forever. Much better than masking plastic and tape.

VANDENPLAS, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks Lloyd

15. You're welcome my friend ;)

16. In both airplane and cars, started using abs plastic sheets for door panels. Never have had to replace one due to warpage. Even if door is not flat, a little heat will make it confirm well.
    all you fit guys go for it

17. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used ABS on the doors and quarters of the Stude, now...the kick panels had curves in them, so with a heat gun I heated and bent it so it matches the curvature of the kick panel and covered it with upholstery material also.

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I always thought the plastic was more for to keep the dust out. Or in the door. Why would the newer cars with plastic panels need plastic between the door and the panel itself. Car companies cut costs any way they can. To keep the dust down out.

19. I talked to Dave last night and he said he uses the heavy duty contractor black plastic trash bags when he seals the the door before installing the upholstered panels.

Since he uses the bags when cleaning up the upholstery scraps he has a supply all the time, he can cut the bag and it makes enough to do 2 doors, he said that's what he used on the Ranch wagon and my old beater. HRP

20. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Early Fords and other makes used an asphalt like material for door panels...It was almost like thick roofing felt...It wasn't prone to water damage but that kind of stuff is long gone...

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Some automobiles came with paper as a barrier between the door and door panel.

22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I like the idea of plastic garbage bags, the plastic will shed water and won't wick water like cardboard.

HOTRODPRIMER, reagen and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I would rather have the panels without plastic between them so they can breath. The plastic would just trap the water if it ever did get between them. In high humidity climates, condensation will form on plastic much quicker than other surfaces.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and clem like this.
  24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did the very same thing with heavy plastic bags . It’s been together for 28 years this way . I live where low humidity is 60 % , it has not given up the chase yet . You just watch tomorrow I will close the door and the whole panel will fall off like the autumn leaves !

25. dan31

dan31

If your door has a slot on the bottom ,tuck the plastic into it as that will redirect the water to the inside of the door and out of the weep holes not out of the bottom of your door panel or trapped between the plastic and the tape/ caulk at the bottom .

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My car in my avatar, door panels are made of waterproof panel board. I made them about 25 years ago. No plastic between them. Still in great shape. I have about 60 thousand miles on the car since then. And it has been in more than a few rain storms. A couple of times, more than 5 inches in one day. Flooding conditions happened both times. Just do what you feel is right. No right or wrong answer.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and reagen like this.
  27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Depends on what you call "old cars". Cars that are HAMB era didn't use plastic with the sticky caulk, that was later late 60's or 70's cars. Earlier cars used paper with an coating on one side that was towards the door to repel water and moisture. It eventually deteriorated, and left the door panels warped as they got damp.

I use fiberglass sheet, or vinyl sheet I buy at the local Lowes store in 4'x8' white sheets. Make up patterns from a roll of brown masking paper, and then tape it to the sheets to trace and cut out. It's only 1/8" thick, and easy to glue fabric to. I use Permatex upholstery spray adhesive as I've found the 3M 90 spray can adhesive lets go after a short time. The Permatex seems to be a better product to me.

28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I learned the hard way to drill holes in the bottom of the door when you have a glass body, in a hard rain the inside of the door was like a swimming pool.

dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. That's funny, I have heard water sloshing around in doors in the past, that's probably why a lot of steel cars have the bottom of the doors rust out, crud gets built up and seals the weep holes in the bottom, then it turns into a dam to hold water,especially after the car sit's for years. HRP

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.