Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I did finish cutting the rabbets along the wood. I did it by setting the fence, raising the blade and turning the wood on it's side. IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1744.JPG

2. I did all the edges except the two out side edges of the out side boards. I will fit all the wood before cutting them and putting the rabbet in. IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you could run the grooves on the table saw.my take on the grooves is they relieve internal tension in the wood allowing it to stay straight instead of cupping.and also to aid glueing timber to the floors in houses.if you varnish the topside of the boards varnish the underside and the edges esp the ends i had 3 grooves ran in my bedwood but some still warped planning on another 2 grooves when i get the time.

Stogy, TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. went over to the slackers and made a bunch of measurements then took the bed back to my barn. I had made the pieces to form an "H" bracket to bolt to the bed sides and bolt down to the chassis. I also made measurements for the "tool" box that will hide the fuel tank and battery. I made up a piece to support and finish off the front end of the bed wood and welded it to the side brackets I made. there is also a recycled bed rail I had saved from a pickup that will give the wood some support. IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1759.JPG

5. I also started fitting up the side angles that will lock in the out side boards of the bed. they will be bolted to the bed sides with countersunk screws. the whole "H" will be bolted in. Charlie wanted the bed to be able to be completely disassembled if he wanted to make any changes . IMG_1761.JPG

6. cut the bed strips to length and drilled and filed the needed holes square. IMG_1762.JPG

7. rainy Sunday morning so I decided to make Charlie a new shift knob.
    I cut a chunk of the tree to length then trimmed the corners off . then I started cutting away wood. IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1778.JPG

8. once I had the general shape I took it off the lathe and clamped it into the vise for the drill press. 7/8 hole. an 1/8"deep then a 5/8 hole 1/4" deep. IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG

9. then I put it back on the lathe and finished shaping the "domed flat head piston" IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG

10. I drilled a hole in the underside and glued a long 5/16" nut in the hole. I put a piece of tape over the inside of the nut to keep any glue from getting on the threads. when the glue dries I will give it to the slacker to varnish. IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1786.JPG

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice, Just before Easter. :rolleyes:

TFoch, loudbang, nunattax and 4 others like this.
  12. I forgot to put the heat back up in the barn, it was colder in the barn than out side:confused:

TFoch, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a Lucky Slacker...:D

Fantastic job on everything including the Always Shifty Woody WoodPiston...:)

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Is that a “3/8 inch” overbore? As in 0.365” or 2 3/8 x 2 3/4? Oh wait maybe it went with a “Merc” hickory 3” crank. You could chuck that up in a wood lathe right quick and stroke it to 3.125 and if your not afraid of a hot Flatty with a burning hardwood smell. Ooh, Canadian rock maple sleeves and exhaust valves you could go all the way to 3.250! Someone says nice aftermarket heads and intake whats the special casting material? Oh it’s a rare burl-wood.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. safetythird

safetythird

Pretty sure he should be painting my stuff.

Love the shift knob-I think I'll follow suit with a chunk of wood from the tree that fell on my Falcon.

16. Wow Ted multi-talented! Shift knob looks great!

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  17. I have only had short bursts of time to work on the bed and in the last week I was able to start making the "tool box" in the bed to cover the gas tank and battery. I also painted the bed strips. IMG_1796.JPG

18. I bent up a piece to represent the front of the box and to hold the hinge for the lid. it needed to be stepped back so the lid would open without binding on the head board. IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG

chryslerfan55, TFoch, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  19. I also bent up the part of the box that closes off the back. to allow the lid to seal over the sides, and give the appearance it is a box sitting in the bed and not just part of the bed, I put a stepped flange on each side. IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1815.JPG

chryslerfan55, TFoch, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  20. the plan is I will join the front and back pieces with sides that will be stepped away from the bed side and support the top as it angles down toward the back. there will be a gasket around the lid. the "box" will be bolted in so the bed can still be taken all apart. IMG_1810.JPG

21. Ted, is there anything that you can't do ?

22. "Leap tall buildings, in a single bound" .. ...

Although, I've never seen Ted at 5pm, on a Friday .. so don't quote me.

23. haha, I just muddle through it.
    Charlie is the brains of the operation....and both of us can't wait to take it for a ride.
    he has been working on the front light wiring, said he may finish tomorrow.

chryslerfan55, TFoch, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  24. bent up the two "sides of the box" and cut and fit them to miter into the the hinge piece and the back of the box. IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1822.JPG

25. I tacked them in and drilled for bolts to hold it in. IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1826.JPG

26. I welded it all together, then drilled and mounted the hinge. IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG

27. I fit the lid to the hinge and tacked it in place. I then removed the lid and hinge and finished welding them together. IMG_1981.JPG

chryslerfan55, dwollam, TFoch and 4 others like this.