Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

1. SR100

SR100

I'm only seeing the two roadster pics.

2. I'm also only seeing the two roadster photos, with all the others being a link saying 'View Attachment' and an 'error' page coming up when clicked.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Same here "Error Page"

DylanHill1931 and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@DylanHill1931, Hotrods and Hotgals...congrats...that side project came out awesome...Great to get some Hotrod appetizer in you before the Main Course...Glad the 3 Window is near a 2nd wave of moving along...can't wait and glad you still have the Hotrod Genome...;)

5. 8FB4EF98-5E6A-4841-98AC-041AF880959F.png 40446FED-77EC-4241-BD6D-07CA8569FDB0.png D5F8DE54-60E5-4DF6-893F-D3EC61E82954.png 53ECE6FF-719B-4622-AD86-24F963C3946F.png 579F8323-0A01-42D9-955C-85686F3EADFC.png FC0666AE-F657-4980-926E-9503589609B3.png B4CB3FDD-47CE-4615-8EE3-57B0986B1D9D.png 254890FE-D736-4082-9523-14162F799D9A.png 19DA38F4-4555-4953-9D91-A7F2F33549DA.png

Attached Files:

brEad, KiwiGlen, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  6. Ok everyone! Thanks for bearing with me these should be a good majority of the pics! Now I’ll do my best to keep the thread updated! I appreciate everyone encouraging me to keep going! Appreciate all of you! I think she’s coming out pretty tough looking! Hopefully have her road worthy but end of summer/winter time. Nothing holding me back but OT at work so she’ll really start coming together now!

Dannerr, Cleat, Just Gary and 6 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great things are happening around the Hill Ranch...I'm impressed with your motivation and sense of Hotrod adventure Dylan...theres Threads about the younger crowd and vintage Hotrod...it's just awesome to see you and your friends carrying that torch forward...I look forward to following the adventure...

Question for you...have you ever studied any hi res images of the black prototype to aid in the Beading area just behind the door from the beltline up? I see you have a piece...is that off a Sedan?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    DylanHill1931 and loudbang like this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well, I hope you got the right-girl ;)

Now make a HOT ROD out of that Coupe.

DylanHill1931, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. Aha thanks buddy! Getting an open wheeled Hotrod finished before I tried my hand at the 3w really helped my confidence in following through with my vision for the car. There are quite a few of us building cars with myself being the oldest at 27.

Yeah I’ve studied quite a lot of 3w cars to use as a reference. I know I can’t leave the area blank as it would look “unfinished “ to me and without doing a ton of work to the doors I can’t bubble out the sheetmetal on the doors like a 32-34 Ford would be. The piece of metal “swept bead” I’ll call it is from a 30-31 fordor sedan that was yard art.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Lol we broke up and before so she insisted I sell the roadster I had just finished 5 months before to show my devotion... shoulda got rid of her before the car...live and learn. She liked the cars but didn’t like me workin on them or support the dreams I had.

So we broke up and I brought my coupe 600 miles north so I can build it

11. WTF ???
    That devotion crap goes both ways

12. Regrets for sure and the constant reminders from good friends that I’m an idiot for giving in to the demands she listed is a great reminder to never sell a Hotrod for a relationship

loudbang, Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  13. [​IMG]The big question now is wether to chop it or not??? It’s already chopped 1 1/2” compared to a standard 5w coupe I’m thinking about leaving it for now but another 2 1/2” would look pretty tough. Definitely going for an El Mirage inspired early 50s look now so a hefty chop would work but I don’t want the chop to pull away from the fact it’s a 3w.

Tim, Dannerr, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Most important is that you still have the Coupe.
    NEVER sell or stop with your Hot Rod dreams and devotion, the "right" girl will want to get and be involved. NEVER move her in with you or vice-versa.... (I sound like a Dad right, raised 3 sons)

AS to your coupes roof height, I like it were it is. Your comfort and vision are THE most important thing in a Hot Rod.

Rock On Son ! ;)

Tim, loudbang, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  15. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

It looks good! You have came a long way.
    KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

loudbang, DylanHill1931 and Stogy like this.
  16. greaser

greaser

Hey Dylan. I really like the direction your headed with the 3 window. The top looks great as it is, and I can't visualize an additional 2.5" removed.
    Perhaps you could re-consider additional chop once its on the road and in primer.
    Awesome job, keep on truckin'!

loudbang, DylanHill1931 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

img045.jpg

You are creating a Hybrid between a Coupe and Sport Coupe so perhaps less is more this is plain but has a drip rail ending nicely and the belt line works...

The other thing is the area aft of the door is lesser that a Coupe or Sport Coupe due to the longer doors...

Running it beaded would make that area appear narrower and possibly awkward...

All this is just my opinion of course...

Maybe look how the competing brands such as Chevy and Dodge treated their 3 windows in that area...

That's a great angle and shot you shared there, I say leave the Chop for now...and see how it looks...once you formalize the 3W concept...and like you say it already is...you may be already near looking at the header panel as is

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    loudbang, greaser and DylanHill1931 like this.
  18. Would never have sold the coupe or my 55 pickup for her or anyone else. So definitely no worries there! definitely appreciate the “dad” advise man!

Thanks bud, I feel it’s still proportionate and for some reason looks chopped more than it is possibly due to the longer window opening.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  19. Thanks man! She’s definitely made a lot of progress since my last post! Happy to actually have something worth updating.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Hey thanks man! The windshield looks good height wise I believe but the door seems a bit high. I’ll likely run it the way it is for now! [​IMG]still need to make the filler panel for the quarter window

21. Was talking with my father tonight over the phone about this exact thing. I think we may have come up with something that will resemble a 32 Ford 3 window. I’ll have to sketch it out and post it up.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Looking good Dylan, keep at it. Get it running, driving, and maybe stopping. You must bring that creation to Winterport in August. I am sure you will get it going now you have the Englishes in your corner!

loudbang, Stogy and DylanHill1931 like this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Love the profile, has a 'stately' look that resembles the factory prototype. Deuce wheel wells really finish out the quarters, good eye, Dylan!
    Sorry you had to go thru the 'girl vs. hot rod lesson', but glad you survived it.
    My ex wife hated my '55 F100, so I traded it in. (the EX, NOT my F100!) The 'new model' was the same year as my F100, she was 22 then...she worked in my hot rod shop with me and we got married 5 years later.
    That was 38 years ago, now we are working on '27 T's together.
    Still have my F100, wife Joey's rewiring it, as my old body can't crawl around like her younger one can!

24. God I’d love to get her done in time to race at The Pinetree Jamboree but I’ve been helping a friend of mine in what spare time I have get his coupe ready so we’ll definitely be racing his coupe. I’ll drive my 55 up and I’ll be helping the Tornados guys setup for the event Wednesday [​IMG]this is his coupe running a 41 Flathead 59ab, 39 trans and model a rear

Tim, Dannerr, brEad and 3 others like this.
  25. Hey! Thank you very much! I’m glad it’s pulling off a “classy Hotrod” so to speak! I don’t know if I’ve seen the deuce wheel wells in an A before but I think they look pretty smart!

Yeah man I guess I kinda survived the girl vs Hotrod I lost one in the process lol.

Ahahahaha you were a lot more wise than I but I foolishly thought it would make a difference and give in to all her demands to prove myself. You’re definitely an inspiration to keep going and not stress over the EX. So awesome you found a good woman!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Tornados...your hanging out with a quite the group of period Hotrodders, That should be quite the experience...Nice ABone

loudbang and DylanHill1931 like this.