Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another dragway bits the dust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodyTom, Mar 30, 2021.

1. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

Got an email today -------Milan Dragway, outside of Detroit,Michigan is closing. Hopefully someeone will buy it but it doesn't look good.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I went to Milan every weekend back in the 70's , I am sure that is going to be a huge loss for that area.

3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Are there any other tracks ?

4. Sad to hear. They seem to be dropping like flies in the Eastern half of the US. Urban sprawl and lack of attendance seems to be the culprits.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

Onondaga Dragway was recently purchased and are planning on opening this year

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I had planned on racing there every weekend but The 4th of July this year.
    Now I will concentrate on finishing my project cars listed below. I'm not gonna drive 5 hrs round trip every weekend to race points at other tracks.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

9. 1964Ford

1964Ford

10. Oceola dragway near South Bend Indiana has closed as well. My grandson son lives close by, i was planing on taking him this summer now that he’s old enough. Oh well.....

stillrunners and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Sad to hear, used to go out there for different events all the time when I lived in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Sad news. Both Milan and Osceola were on my to do list in the near future.

13. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i heard atlanta is closing

14. Rt 66 raceway and Chigoland speedway announced there would be no 2021 season last fall, but didn't say anything about shutting for good, yet.

15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

ATLANTA may be closing but not immediately. Lots of hope they build one on south side adjacent the to the NASCAR track, they have been trying to push 1/8 mile drags on pit road there for a few years..... Sad about Milan lots of history there

stillrunners likes this.
  16. Chief 64

Chief 64

That's too bad. I have many great memories at Milan Dragway. Here is an old picture.
    I ran my 64 Vette there often. Note the open headers and no ear protection on the starter guy. No concrete walls and look at the small fire extinguisher. The good old days.
    IMG_2839 (3).jpg

I can still here the announcer saying: "here is a 64 Vette from Livonia Michigan strapping on down the dragway.. then he would announce or the time or MPH " I really never knew what STRAPPING meant. But he was a great announcer.
    IMG_2840 (2).jpg

Years later I taught my girlfriend how to "hit it on the last yellow" in my Dad's new pick up truck, which was our tow vehicle. Note the tail gate was down to reduce wind resistance. :D When she got the hang of it we took my Mom's T/A and she made it to finals but red lighted on the last race. She said it was my fault because the T/A left faster than the truck and leaving on the last yellow was too soon.:rolleyes:
    IMG_2838 (3).jpg

I still have my winners jacket from Milan.
    upload_2017-2-25_23-41-5.png

upload_2017-2-25_23-41-27.png

There was one bad memory at Milan. I blew a clutch in one of my cars and we were way at the back where you get your time slip and another racer came up to us and asked to borrow a wrench and I was so made about the clutch I said "No I don't loan my tools out" It wasn't long that I felt terrible about it. I have always wondered if he is on the hamb. If so I hope he doesn't remember the jerk that wouldn't lend him a wrench.:(
    Greg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  17. It’s been saved… 3873556E-C350-4856-8C01-A627871C57F8.jpeg

AHotRod and Roothawg like this.