Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods vendors not stocking parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Mar 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Next month, I need to install a 20 Amp circuit under a mobile home. After reading this thread, I decided to buy my materials now. Last night, I verified the stock at the local Lowe's and printed out my materials list. This morning, bought my materials - EXCEPT - the 10 foot sticks of 1" PVC conduit were out of stock, already sold out. I was not the only one looking for 1" conduit.

Got luck, Ace Hardware still had enough PVC conduit.

If there are critical items needed for the completion of your project, consider buying them now.

AHotRod likes this.
  2. chopped

chopped

3. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I guess I was lucky. Couple weeks ago I ordered some Rocket wheels from Summit and was told they were out of stock and would come from the factory. 4 day's later Fedex showed up with the wheels.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. JIT= If you don't need it right NOW; you don't need it...

Dealt with all that stuff 20+ years ago at the aluminum plant. The amount of warehouse stock that was sent back to the distributor, if they would take it back or scrapped if they wouldn't, was in the many thousands of dollars. When it got hard to fix stuff in a reasonable period of time because the parts were no longer readily available is when I left.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. mark40h

mark40h
    from quincy,il.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a buddy that owns a small town hardware store. He was telling me the other day that they are almost to the point of selling at cost. He has to match Lowe’s prices since they are just a few miles down the road.

Not sure how long they will be able to sustain. A sheet of OSB is $40 now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    mad mikey, reagen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. mark40h

mark40h
    from quincy,il.

This world trade bullshit has went on long enought. It`s time people in the U.S. start making our own products. Stop the dam welfare and get your ass back to work.

mad mikey, Truck64, lostone and 9 others like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

But people can save a buck or two if it`s made in China, and they get free shipping. So it will never end.

reagen likes this.
  9. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

The parts are probably on the ship in the Suez canal.

10. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The container shortage is kind of funny. There are 6 or 7 dealers selling containers around here. A 40' long x 8' high can be bought for about $1,700 delivered and set up. (I would have one but the missus would throw a shoe).

The problem is that it costs more to ship the empty container back than what they can be sold for in the US. These used to cost a lot more here but supply v. demand ran the prices down. Remember that trade to/from the US is not equal--more stuff comes in than goes out. Anyhow these containers are mostly "one trip" and are like new. Apparently, the shippers in the Orient found it cheaper to make new ones than ship the others back. Now, apparently, they cannot make them fast enough.

I read that the stuck ship in the Suez Canal could handle 20,000 containers. That is a really big boat.

reagen, Tman, lake_harley and 2 others like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Better watch the toilet paper...Last year we were lined up at the newest store in town. (Grand opening, limited to ONE package of T.Paper, and one gallon of milk. One flat of water...
    Thank the gods of real estate we have our own well.

12. inaford30

inaford30

I was lucky, I finished mine just in time

Sent from my SM-J7008 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. inaford30

inaford30

I literally have a 350 engine sitting on the floor with Edelbrock aluminum heads that have the wrong angle on intake surface from them! Friend bought the heads new, had nothing but trouble with intake gaskets leaking first we thought the block was decked wrong, but after careful measuring against factory heads we discovered the heads were off. Edelbrock was no help since a year has passed. Someone mentioned to me that production is overseas?

Sent from my SM-J7008 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Once again I will beat the dead horse and say that in the last 20 years our school system has totally focused on computer technology and turned a blind eye to vocational skills. It has become sadly evident that it is almost impossible to hire skilled machinists , mechanics , welders etc. At my place of work it has been almost laughable at some of the job applications we get. I am hearing the same from my friends who own custom fabrication - hot rod shops. The old guys are retiring and that skill set is fading away hence our dependence on offshore parts. It is time to teach our youngsters how to actually do things with their hands as they will be in demand in the very near future. Do any of you remember melting aluminum in high school metal shop and pouring it into a sand casting that you made yourself? Can you imagine the liability in todays world? I like the old ways:cool:

15. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Right on Lumpy! I've had this discussion a few times lately. We all too readily shit can the younger generation, but you don't know anything until it's taught to you. Re the JIT theory, I always refer back to the motto of an auto chain store I worked for years ago "The store with the stock will be the store with the sales", i.e. you can't sell what you haven't got. Unfortunately, as previously stated, the geniuses straight out of college with zero experience in the field that they've chosen to work in who seem to be running most businesses these days don't see it that way. We're suffering big time here in Australia too. Shipping out of the USA is backed up like you wouldn't believe at present. USPS air mail has gone from approx 2 weeks to more like 10 weeks if you're lucky.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You know that first media hack that threw out "OMG TOILET PAPER!!!" when all this nonsense started just laughed his butt off watching the rats scurry to hoard all they could find- instant artificial shortage, folks loading up carts at Costco and Wally World.
    Just last week, the local speed shop owner came by on Saturday, hey do you have any Edelbrock heads? Yep, right there on the shelf. How much? $XXXX (well below list). OK, I want 'em. So I take them down on Monday, and get the old hey look, here's my cost that I can get them for- will you take $XXX. Nope, go ahead and get the others- I didn't really want to sell them, was gonna put them on the 56 Bird- and I'm not a wholesaler, don't care about wholesale price. Well they don't have any. I know- nobody does right now. I had already looked, found ONE head on Amazon. After spending much time beating the bushes, and finding nothing, I got paid the original, and quite fair price. BTW, a friend has his own line of FE heads, nice chambers n ports, an upgrade from Ebocks, but Ebock casts them for him in their foundry. He was able to get a shipment of bare heads during the Ebock move/shuffle, but they are unmachined rough castings, so now he has to get someone else to do the basic machine work

egads likes this.
  17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of the old story of a guy walking into a hardware store and asking the cost of a particular tool. He was quoted a price of $8.00 to which he replied that the store down the street only wanted $5.00 for the exact same tool but they were all out. The store owner promptly replied that he sold them for $5.00 when he was out of them as well.

mad mikey, Nostrebor, thintin and 7 others like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So why do people go to where everbody else goes when things are in short supply. You have to think outside the box and go where no one else goes. That`s how you find what you are looking for.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was looking for something on Jegs and Summits websites last month and noticed some parts were not to be shipped for a few months.

20. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

I took a ride in the back of a police car in Junior High School in the 8th grade for casting up a set of aluminum 'brass knuckles' in the metal shop foundry. By High School I was on the 'academic track' and didn't have many more shop classes that I can recall.

That's called applying what you learn . . .

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Blurb in the WSJ said that 2800 containers went overboard since last November due to high seas.

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's crazy talk!

23. 5 MONTHS on several parts for a 2020 Lincoln Corsair. Probably didn't help that it is a new design.

Crazier yet, couple months in, customer bought ANOTHER one because they really liked it and were tired of the rental unit. They're selling the first one when it's finished.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. galaxie68

galaxie68

This is all bullshit Comp cams Edelelbrock have been out of basically everything for going on 6 months and stating 2 to 4 months till cams will be available . So they just havnt made anything in a yr are they going out of business .And then just wait, theres going to an infestation of shitty materials and qaulity right around the corner..

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It is Thanks Giving today . Not sure i want to read your first post.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You should anyway, but wait till tomorrow.

lothiandon1940 and stanlow69 like this.
  27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Guess I'm glad I don't need any computer chips....:D I started this thread ages ago and the problem hasn't gotten any better. A couple of guys from the shop went to SEMA and had a word with the guys from Edelbrock. They said that with the move from CA they are having a hard time hiring skilled machinist's . The foundry is still supposedly in CA . They said they are starting to fill pre existing orders.... We have several , so we will see how that goes.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  28. ..........Had a few shots of Wild Turkey along with that Thanksgiving turkey did you?!:eek:

Tim, stanlow69, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would imagine some vendors have the parts drop shipped from the manufactures so they do not have to stock them.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. The pandemic has created shortages in ever segment of business, from clothing to auto parts, in many specialized business there is a lack of raw materials being shipped and skilled people to build the product.

Hopefully in the future things will improve. HRP

williebill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.