Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Featured Classifieds: 1950 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Featured Classifieds: 1950 Ford Coupe

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I actually talked about this car in a thread yesterday. Seems like a steal to me, knowing what she needs. Probably some cool local rock n roll history too if you chat with the sellers.

I'd buy it but I just bought something else, and if I buy anything else, wife says I'd better be able to live in it....

Somebody snatch this beauty up!

abe lugo, chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Are those scallops chromed?

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Nice little car.
    The biggest draw back I see will be all of the holes left after you de-crapify the outside, but you will have a great car if you get to the level of this one.

[​IMG]

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I must admit I shuddered at the bumpers, lol. But still, seems like a heck of a good start...

F-ONE and dirty old man like this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Found a Crestliner once that had every doo-hickey I never saw on it; yes lotta holes...

Tman likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I mean... You would be shaving a stocker anyway... What's a few more holes?

8. I bet you could recoup a bunch of coin off those chrome scallops. Some of that gingerbread stuff is going for crazy money.

F-ONE, kidcampbell71 and Squablow like this.
  9. According to the ad, it's not rust free.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  11. Yeah, that part scares me the most

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

This is the truth. With some time spent, you might get a couple grand back from the add-on pieces if you weren't going to use them.

Interior looks really nice, and engine looks pretty decked out and recent, it might not take that much to get the engine freed up again. Might be worth the gamble.

But it says in the listing it needs inner rockers and some body mounts. I did that work on my '52, it's a lot of work to fix, especially if you're trying to preserve the paint that's on the car.

Overall though, not bad, I've seen a lot less car with a much higher asking price.

210superair, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  13. birdman1

birdman1

all that's missing is cruiser skirts and a conny kit.

Tman likes this.
  14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Hey Ryan,
    I'm not knocking the car per se, it's just that mechanical work is my forte, not bodywork.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

I kind of like over the top.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I LOVE all those accessories:cool:. Makes it stand out from the hundreds of "smoothed" ones out there

One of the most fun builds I ever did was my wife's Panel. Ridiculously OVER accessorized (J C Whitney poster child) but people loved it. Spent a small fortune on those accessories though..they aren't cheap:eek:
    pan9.jpg pan9x.jpg

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I really enjoy this type of content when you share it @Ryan. It's neat to see a ride for sale and get your, and then everyone else's thoughts and perspective on it. They are usually great examples as well.

This one... near and dear, as my grandpa built a 49 Business Coupe as a custom back in the late 50's. He talked fondly about it often during my childhood, especially the "dozens of coats of maroon lacquer" he shot on it in his dirt floor shed. He had three B&W deckle edge photos of it that always appeared when he told the stories. Unfortunately the photos did not surface after his death... I really wanted to have them in case I ever built one, and just to memorialize that piece of his life. His car had the look in those little square snapshots.

This one looks like an easy start to a fun summer driver. Perfect!:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

Not everyones cup of tea, but it is the way it was done back in the day. Very few hot rodders had the skill or money to customize their cars . The next best thing was the bolt on stuff. I would leave it the way it is. Its a piece of history.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-3_4-34-51.png Goggle photo
    Hello,

Despite the present look of the Ford coupe, it is a starting point. The Ford in the ad, it is/or could be the basis for a good build with different parts to satisfy anyone’s idea of a cool 50s car. If someone likes that for sale look, then that is their choice. At least it is not a rusted-out hunk sitting on the side of a road.

My wife and I were on the lookout for a 50 Ford coupe. Since we were 20 somethings, no kids, living in a small apartment with our little dog, we wanted a cool car to drive around and become our 2nd daily driver. My wife’s 1962 Corvair was biting the dust and we were in the process of giving it to her uncle for $100. Now, we needed two cars, so we looked at a 1946 woody, another hot rod truck, a sporty car and finally drove to Santa Ana to look at this old Ford coupe for us. It was black, had a Flathead and looked clean. But something told my wife to walk away from the sale.

She did not like the seller and the way he was showing the Ford Coupe. So, knowing her and her instincts, we walked away from the sale, with the guy offering to discount the price. We did not make the sale. But on the way to another search in the same general area a couple of weeks later, found a nice 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery that impressed both of us.

Jnaki

The custom Ford coupe in the above photo was typical of a custom car from the late 50s into the early 60s in So Cal. Usually, it was not a teenage car, but one build for someone with a good paying job and/or had stacks of money for the custom build. The thing that stands out is the custom “goldish” scallop design to highlight the cool blue whole car paint. With the whitewall tires and hubcaps, it was typical of a custom car from that time period in So Cal.

This car show photo was part of a display in a So Cal commercial outdoor area. Those were the popular things, as it was more home grown hot rods in their environment, without the fancy “wispy glass spider web-type” strands covering the wheels inside of an auditorium car show. It was drive right up and park, with the wiping off of the street grime to present itself to the wandering public.

So, old cars can be a starting point. For some, the better shape it is in at the start, the less time spent on repairs. The AD car has the look/accessories, but can easily be modified to anyone’s choices in the upcoming modification stage, prior to driving around with a smile on your face.