Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flat tow question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Boatmark

Boatmark

How about tackling this from another angle. Is someone else from the hot Rod community in your town also going to this event? Someone that has a wife or family member that could drive your T down for you, while you are comfortable in the Jeep, then you have the T to play at the event. When it’s time to come home, reverse the process. Seems like there would be someone who would both be happy to help, and get a kick out some time in your T.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

OK, I see your point.

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

A good friend of mine spent a lot of time and money sourcing the parts to put a four-speed in his Fairlane-- then came the shoulder surgeries and that fresh four-speed came out and the automatic went back in. Sounds like it's time to replace the hot-rod with a comfortable custom.

4. I would get some dollies to go under the rear wheels. Like the ones that the tow truck guys use.
    I would not tow with it idling and I am liable to do anything if you catch my drift.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Everyone I know that is going to the show is driving their own car...
    I don't get out much, so I don't know many people who are into cars. As I said before, the two guys I normally go with refuse to go due to covid restrictions. I missed it last year, am still registered from that show, and my son has been bugging me to go for the last three. Here he is under the car helping me pull the old wiring out. 1539.jpeg Time to start a new tradition!

LongT, LOST ANGEL and lurker mick like this.
  6. Let me tell you a story. it is not about cars but I think that you can make it apply.

I was sitting in a bar at a bike rally when I was younger with a man that I grew up around. he was a friend of my dad's and a man that I really respect. We both had ridden our motorcycles about a 1000 miles to see each other and party. I made a remark about seeing a man unloading his bike off a trailer. I did not get the response that I expected. he said, "Well Benno, some men trailer their bikes. They are not us. How they live is really none of your business, you live your life and let him live his. You should have helped him unload by the way."

If you tow or trailer your car that should not be a problem for anyone. Should it. ;)

7. jaracer

jaracer

The cluster gear is driven by the input shaft since it is in constant mesh with it. If the input shaft isn't turning, the cluster gear isn't turning. With the engine not running, the input shaft is stationary, therefore the cluster gear doesn't turn.

Plenty of people have towed standard shift cars in neutral. Did they do any damage to the trans? The answer is probably. Did the transmission fail right away? Maybe, maybe not, but if it was disassembled I'm sure you could find damage in the bushing or bearing area between the main and input shafts.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know how much tow hubs cost. But there are millions of cars in junkyards that have hub/spindle assemblies that bolt on. Should not take too much ingenuity to make a couple of adapter plates to bolt them on your rear hubs.

oldiron 440 likes this.
  9. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

I think the easiest solution would be to have your son pull and re-install the shaft. I know 13 year old me would have jumped at the opportunity. Maybe grab as spare u joint and some straps and bolts just in case a cap gets dropped. Otherwise I would look at a Remco style driveline disconnect. They essentially replace the rear end yoke with a splined coupler that is controlled from the cabin. On a T I would think you could have the disconnect easily accessible from the rear of the car.

10. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I flat tow my 27 ford roadster, I could care less what anyone says. I just disconnect my steering arm, safety wire it all out of the way and tow it.

trollst likes this.
  11. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

12. Flat tow my 52 GMC pickup behind my motorhome. I use a Remco driveshaft disconnect. Works great, and no trailer hassle. Just can't back up. Only drawback is I do have to crawl under to get it reconnected to line up the coupler splines. Of course made more difficult because truck is low. Disconnect is just pull cable.

On your T, it costs nothing but a little time to disconnect driveshaft and wire it up under the car. That seems the easiest solution, and a great way to work with your son. Let him do the work with you instructing and supervising the project.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

How about overfilling the transmission so the oil is level with the middle of the input and output shaft and then draining out the excess once you arrive?
    That way the needle bearings between the two shafts, and anything else turning will be bathed in oil.

14. getow

getow

Heres a question.... If your jeep breaks down, will you tow it back with the T? Lol. Either way drive 1 vehicle. And it were me, it sure as hell wouldnt be no dam Jeep. Take the kid. Life is short. Have a blast. Then promise the T to the kid when he gets his grades up.... Or at least gets a driver's license. He'll be part of the next generation of Hotroders. And because of you, hell have a 1st hand experience that contribute to his hotroding heritage. Make memories and take pics.... We all want to see it.....Really.... start packing... and tell the grandson aout the adventure that awaits. This is what its about.... Speed on.....

15. How did you get into a T with your back issues, I mean you had to have an idea how small and rough riding they are ?
    I have one and I have back issues, the worse my back gets the less I drive it and there's plenty of days I just can not / will not drive it because of it. I would much rather drive any of the other cars that have working doors and more room inside, I would've already sold it if my son didn't like the damn thing so much.
    So how did you come about owning it ?

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  16. It is difficult, but not impossible to climb in and out of. I don't do long distances, but the thing is so much fun to drive, I'm just not ready to give it up yet. I traded my comfortable, running, driving 318 powered '50 Dodge club coupe for this. Wish I could have had both, but finances and space won't allow it. Eventually I plan to sell it and buy a '61-'63 T bird. As for the trailer issue, I have been looking for an inexpensive, lightweight car trailer for a couple of years now without a lot of luck. One thing I've considered was converting a boat trailer to haul a car. I have two boats right now that weigh 2500+ lbs and both are on single axle trailers. The T probably weighs less than 2000 lbs... the conversion would be more affordable than building from scratch as all the major components would be there.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nothing wrong with using a boat trailer for a base to build a trailer. Mine started out as a heavy boat trailer, 4” channel frame, single axle. I lengthened it, added another axle, and used a combo of wood and steel for the open center floor. I pull it with a 99 F150 4x4.

18. If you can get that buggy up to 200 mph, it's only a 30 minute drive :cool:

49ratfink and clem like this.
  19. trollst

trollst

I understand Tees are small and uncomfortable, I'd piss myself to have mine back. BUT, this ain't about some back pain, as Benno knows, a really good time and some real good stories involve some, or, alot, of discomfort. This will be for your son, not for the show. Trailer it to the show, it'll be just another show him and dad went to, fun but not remarkable, so, put on your big boy pants, get in it with him, pull over and get out when your back says to and make probably the one trip he'll remember all his life, because, truthfully, this time next year a nuclear bomb can go off with no more trips planned. Soon he'll be doing his own thing, and you'll wish you had done more, one of our most talked about trips, was when my boy was 13, I broke my ankle on a bike trip and we rode my HD home, everybody helped and we did it. It was hours of pain for me and years of adulation for him. Get busy.

20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

You got some thinking to do. Personally I need to have my back fused, but have put it off for a long time due to some things just never work right again from everyone I have talked to. 10 fused sucks, and you need some room for sure, so My personal suggestion is two ideas to get the job done.
    1. Drive the car, stops frequently to keep the body from getting cramped up. Stops like every 20-30 miles, get a soda and walk around a bit.
    2. convert boat trailer to haul the T and still hit the show.

A few recommendations.
    A model A sport coupe converted into a roadster may be a better idea for you in the current configuration. More comfort and room.
    Secondly
    Buy or build a trailer for these purposes, and get rid of the jeep and upgrade to sometime more tow friendly, Tahoe etc.... More comfort in the bigger vehicles for sure, and towing capabilities.

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I like the look of this, something I might do on my A to flat tow it.

Interesting, why do you have to crawl under to line up the splines? That seems like an unnecessary hassle.

22. Have to crawl under because otherwise the splines make terrible noise and just don't want to engage. The way the Remco is designed it has two double width spline teeth, to ensure the u-joints are kept in phase. So you only have two possible locations where the sliding coupler can engage. Plus being cable operated, pulling cable to disengage works better than pushing cable to engage. It's just less trouble to jack it up quick, slide under and visually line it up. Hopefully that makes sense as to why.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  23. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I have a tow bar I use. I like to bring my 10 year old with me, but don’t like her riding in my T

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32, alfin32 and winduptoy like this.
  24. clem

clem

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find it interesting that no one that I see has ask you what transmission you have in your T. Maybe I missed it.
    I know a fellow that has towed his automatic OT car from Alaska to the lower 48 (and back) many years in a row just idling the engine in neutral. Everything else is falling off it but the transmission works fine.

clem likes this.
  26. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Have it towed 100 miles to your destination (be sure to request a flat bed).
    Follow in your jeep.
    Tip your driver.
    Have fun for 4 days.
    Repeat.

Lil32 and Beanscoot like this.
  27. I didn't remember asking that last year... musta been a senior moment! The show got canceled last year due to covid. I did reread it, and got a little more insight. Thanks. I am researching the trans cooling pump, and also going to see what's involved with removing the drive shaft. (Floor jack, jack stands and whatever else I will need to bring with me. ) I am concerned with dropping a bearing cap. (Wouldn't be the first time!)

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You don't know anyone with a snowmobile / ATV/utility trailer you could borrow/ rent for 4 days ? 2 stops would mean every 33 miles , 30 minutes

Mimilan likes this.
  29. Laugh if you will.
    I sold a '65 Galaxie to a guy in Houston several years ago. I told him he could fly or bus in and drive it home. he showed up with a Dodge Ramcharger and a tow dolly. The dodge broke down before he got out of the state. he had a tow hitch put on the ford and towed the dodge home with it. :D

30. Decided to take a closer look, and I can slide under the car and disconnect the drive shaft without jacking the car up. That's what I get for over thinking this! All I will need to bring will be a piece of cardboard to slide on, and the wrenches which are already in my toolkit...

TrailerTrashToo and Blues4U like this.