Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1st Street Rod Nationals - 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tic, Mar 21, 2021.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You were just past being a booger picker !!LOL

Stogy and 49ratfink like this.
  2. Lil32

Lil32

thanks for photos
    I still have the event T-shirt folded up in my rod shirt drawer

3. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Thanks for sharing all the great pics. This was just a bit before my time as I was born in 71. That being said, the photos really struck a chord with me as I remember the style from my childhood going through the mags that my dad had laying around the house.
    I have had a life long love affair with hot rods.
    Thanks again!!!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Thank you and the wife for putting that together - that was great....guess I would be that 14yr kid dreaming thru the magazine...

5. Nice stroll down memory lane.

Stogy likes this.
  6. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, I was there and a little pissed you missed my car in the photos. LOL.
    I will be searching for my slides of the event to go with my Dash Plaque. Thanks Again

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

:cool: Thanks for sharing.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. I didn't make the trip until Detroit in 1972, but 2 of my buddies went in my former 1934 Ford chopped and channeled pickup. It even made it into Rod and Custom magazine, showing Jay Fornal welding in the broken battery box mount.

9. Ihateoldcars

Ihateoldcars

Does anyone have a 1st year dash plaque like this one that they would part with?
    I wasn't there, only 14 at the time, but I own a '32 roadster that was once owned by Bruce Miller. Bruce later on lived in Portland and published his own magazine. I got to know him during that time. I would like to get a dash plaque to go with the car. Thanks.

10. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

I'm impressed that you were able to get all that luggage, tools, and spare packed into your roadster. Thank God for the luggage rack. I think I read about that trip when I was in High School.

Hamtown Al, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Good luck, the people that attended the first Street Rod Nationals and have a dash plaque would probably never sell it ,I know John told me a guy offered him 500 bucks for his and he turned it down. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also carried 5 gals of gas!---Which came in handy running low in Illinois at a misleading gas station sign advertising open all night & they were NOT!!

13. spudshaft

spudshaft

Thanks for sharing OP. I was also surprised at all the T buckets. It seems like they should have a resurgence sooner or later.

14. Tic

Tic

Thanks "gentlemen" for the kind words....

"roddin-shack": I bet your cars picture was the one that was blank. Only one bad picture out of the whole bunch...lol

Tic

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thank you for the fine production and music selection. The cars with blowers and stack injection were special.

Hamtown Al and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I was 16 at the time. But so under informed that I didn’t know what a Street Rod was.

18. Loved it, thanks for posting. I wasn't even a glimmer in my parents eyes in 70, (born in 77), but I sure like that era. I wonder if that style of street rod will ever come back in popularity?

@Moriarity I too saw what looked like the Uncertain-T in the pics.

Moriarity likes this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember reading R&C in study hall of the "plan" for the first Nats. Dreamed of being able to0 go...but my '48 Chev would barely get me from home to school, let alone, get me to Peoria:(. Never made it to the Nats until '74 in Tulsa.
    48.jpg

Hamtown Al likes this.
  20. I was back in Michigan, fresh out of the USAF and my last station was in Camarillo, CA. I Fully intended to go but readjustment to civilian life got in the. Made it to Detroit in ‘72 though.

Great job on the pictures...lots of familiar cars....thanks.

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great job Leon! That was very enjoyable.

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Leon,
    Thanks so much for the trip down a great memory lane. I love those early Hot Rods as they are where I started back in Iowa. I was in Oskaloosa at this time, only 31 miles from Montezuma Iowa.
    Did you ever go to Oskaloosa for the Rollin-Oldies Car Clubs Picnic's Rod Run held at Edmundson Park? Just curious if you knew any of the guys from that area.

So I understand that this picture was taken in 1963 of you and your wife with your Coupe, which she says you have rebuilt 3 times. Tells us about it.
    11334163_1101021643261219_1080494451825036267_o.jpg

Lil32 likes this.
  23. deucemac

deucemac

Thanks for capturing what is THE WATER SHED event in hot rod history! My car was down, so a friend and I drove up from Rantoul in a grocery getter. I can remember the farmer's field where everyone gathered and both my friend and I were mesmerized 600 , not 200, or 500, but 600!!!! REAL HOT RODS all in one place. Now regional and some local events get that and more. But in 1970, it really was revolutionary and the official beginning of what we know today. Eternal thanks to Tex Smith, Tom Medley, Dick Wells, Cotton Werksman, and one other name I forgot, but he later started Street Rod Magazine, for doing this for us. I can't forget the Peoria hot rod club that did the yeoman work there too. The optimized the phrases that NSRA later adopted, street is neat, and fun with cars! Thanks to all!

Torkwrench, lurker mick and AHotRod like this.
  24. Deucemac, Bruce Miller is the guy's name you're trying to think of.

Mick

AHotRod likes this.
  25. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I was 24 at the time and most of the attendees looked like I looked back then. Now most of the current attendees still look like I look now. Age is a mean mistress.

hotrodjack33 and AHotRod like this.
  26. Tic

Tic

I did go to the Rollin' Oldies Rod run a few times. I don't know a lot of guys down there. I still go to their cruise nights once in a while. Here is a thread I posted about the '36 Ford a few years ago.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...is-finally-on-the-road.1111395/#post-12619061
    You will have to scroll up to the top since I screwed the copy/paste up.

I'm just ready to get it out for the summer but I plan on driving the '34 Five Window more than it this Summer.

AHotRod likes this.
  27. primed34

primed34

Thank you for the pictures. I made the second one in Memphis in '71. Made several more thru the years until they opened up the years.

28. deucemac

deucemac

Thanks Mick

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pictures. Some of the guys that started our car club were there; we're celebrating 50 th anniversary this year.

30. pigIRON63

pigIRON63