Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Eastwood Fender Rollers/ Tire Clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Travers, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Any of you guys use an Eastwood fender roller on double-walled fender wells to gain tire clearance? My car was built street/strip but I'm trying to get it closer to street in the looks and ride department. Replace funky air shocks with OEM for factory ride and stance but need all the rubber I can get on the road with posi-trac differential. I see the kiddos use the roller on those beer can fenders, just wondering if it will work well on rear panel on early Comet w/ heat gun. Used to use hammer and a sandbag in the old days but I don't want to crack the paint. Thanks!

Joe

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You mean a baseball bat? :D

3. I don't think that will work very well on the real metal in the older cars...

Joe Travers likes this.
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You may be right but worked on a 55 chevy. LOL Hard to explain how to do it, but takes two people. One feeding the bat and the other driving the car. Lippy

Tman, fauj and Flathead Dave like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

They don't work on wheel openings that have had metal work done.

Joe Travers likes this.
  6. tri5fanatic

tri5fanatic

I’ve also used it on several older cars over the years and have had good luck. Make sure to use the heat gun carefully and they should roll in for you with relative ease with no cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Joe Travers likes this.
  7. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the success story! Just looking for reassurance before I shell out the money to buy one. Next on the list is Steve's reverse chrome steelies and get the old-school mojo going :)

Joe

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah old skool here, back in the day it took a parking lot- a buddy to drive and a baseball bat.

Slowly pull forward while feeding the baseball bat against the tire and fender well then up and around the fender well and out the back side.

9. I dont think the OP is getting the IDEA to use a BAT and save his money !

OLD SKOOL BABY !

Tman and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  10. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I notice everything man. Back in the day when we ran the poop out of 'em and drove 'em like there's no tomorrow......tomorrow is here LOL No more torch, hammer OR Louisville Slugger ;)

Joe

11. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I've used one of the Eastwood-style fender rollers on various cars. Where the lip is a single thickness of steel, they do a pretty good job. Just need to take your time and roll it a little at a time. On cars with double-skinned guard edges (like my avatar) they are nearly useless. The rigidity of the double-skinned area makes the roller push the entire guard out rather than roll the lip. Perhaps nice if you want flared guards, not so cool if you want to just roll the lip. I've tried supporting the outer side of the guard (with a few handy helpers), but had no success.

Results may vary.

Cheers,
    Harv

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The real issue is if you don't know what's under the paint, you'll find out quickly as you use the lip roller! If nothing cracks it didn't have any filler. But if there's even a skim coat prepare to fix it, and repaint, as it will crack.

Frankie47 likes this.
  13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes these can work well on the right car. But sometimes you don’t know if you have the right car until you try it. Use of heat is definitely important. But if you have spot welds around the edges of the fender, you will end up with a dimpled edge, since these will not just push out like the rest of the metal.

14. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

This is my gut feeling, Harv. Very rigid double-skin that has slight crack now from a previous attempt to do this by unknown person/means. I take a lot of time to do anything now days. Use to rush when I was young and screw up stuff all the time but those days are long gone. I talked to a guy that will do it but if he screws it up....I'd rather screw it up myself and have no one to blame. :)

Joe